Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new boots, uk shop or Canadian resort?

Poster: A snowHead
The inners are disintegrating on my 21 yr old Salomons and its time to expel the moths from my wallet (looks like they have already moved into my boots) and buy some new ones. Last years model at half price is more my style than this years colours.
First trip will be Canada, what are prices like there? There are good reports of boot fitters in the uk but none local to me and I would expect to be paying list price and if they are not right when I ski on them , I can't pop back to the shop.
I also have no idea what to look for other than a boot that fits comfortably for an advanced/ expert skier that likes carving/ bumps/ off piste etc
For my level of skiing, I should know more about kit
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The inners are disintegrating after 21 years, quelle horreur!!! Any idea how many trips did that cover?

Do you still ski in a one-piece or did that get retired already? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.skiboots.com/Mens_Custom_Ski_Boots_s/62.htm

My boots were half the price in England, I did not have custom anything, just put them on, and they fitted.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but boots are typically stiffer than they used to be, you might want to get them sorted before you go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Canada boots are pretty expensive IIRC. Also depending on where you are going you'll still need to get specific recommendations as to a good bootfitter who won't treat you as an easy tourist mark.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tangowaggon, If you have only ever skied in that pair of boots for the last 20 years, any new pair of boots is going to feel very strange. Your current boots will be worn out and the liners packed out, so switching to modern more upright boots, with firm liners, will be a struggle. Then again since you have been skiing in knackered boots for so long, maybe you are not that fussy.

As for Canada, it's a massive place, and where you buy will effect the price paid. Any of the big cities/towns will have multiple sports shops, as will every resort. Don't forget that all advertised prices will be without sales taxes.

Many rental shops will offer a rent/buy option, so you could tryout mulitple pairs of boots, then buy your favourite at a rental discount.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy1234 wrote:
The inners are disintegrating after 21 years, quelle horreur!!! Any idea how many trips did that cover?

Do you still ski in a one-piece or did that get retired already? Very Happy

its been about 45weeks snowHead
I killed the one piece about the same time as I bought the boots Madeye-Smiley
The current boots fitted me as they came, which was a surprise as I have quite big ankle bones
I've always had the mantra that two weeks on the slopes as a tramp is better than one as a lord Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tangowaggon, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

boots are typically stiffer than they used to be

I really don't think so...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Really, flex over 100 is the norm these days, 10 years ago 90 was considered stiff.

This is mass market I am talking about, not pro stuff. Do you think boots are no stiffer than the were 21 years ago? Which is the relevant bit, I imagine even a 70 flex might feel a bit stiff now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/boots/2009/07/boot-flex-ratings

2009, seemed that 120 was serious stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@blahblahblah, I had Nordica Dobermanns in a 150 in 2008 (iirc), and they weren't even as stiff as my 1990 SX92s would go. I bought them in a normal retail shop.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boots are laterally stiffer while maintaining more human level forward flex characteristics I would say. The days of having to flex a 150 boot to transmit enough tip pressure to get 205 straight skis to turn are thankfully gone.

Marketing stiffness i.e. all these ratings of 80,90,100 is largely dangly bits IMV
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@blahblahblah, I had Nordica Dobermanns in a 150 in 2008 (iirc), and they weren't even as stiff as my 1990 SX92s would go. I bought them in a normal retail shop.

I will accept this, as I understand you can ski, it is possible that :

Dave of the Marmottes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 16 14:38 Post subject:
Boots are laterally stiffer while maintaining more human level forward flex characteristics I would say. The days of having to flex a 150 boot to transmit enough tip pressure to get 205 straight skis to turn are thankfully gone.

Marketing stiffness i.e. all these ratings of 80,90,100 is largely dangly bits IMV

Has hit the nail on the head, boots are no stiffer but are marketed as such.

I don't remember boots being as stiff as they are now. Maybe its just me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, The first 150 flex boots available to the general public only started to be sold after shaped skis had replaced straight ones.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
I've always had the mantra that two weeks on the slopes as a tramp is better than one as a lord Very Happy

Couldn't agree more. New Lange liners for £50 in my 10+ year old Tecnica boots got me through my BASI level 1 back in March and they're going to have to last a bit longer yet.

If only I could find replacement heel/toe pieces for the boots as well.
snow report
Makes a change, seeing some people who are NOT equipment geeks. Go tangowaggon & acute angina.
snow report
@blahblahblah, I think you and Dave have indeed hit the nail on the head. Marketing puff abounding Happy

I would admit that, @rjs, my 150s were probably stiffer than my 1991 Tecnica TNTs. My second pair (Explosions) were 8s as I felt the 10s unnecessary snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 7-09-16 16:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
These,
snow report
I had pair of them too!
snow report
The heel of one of these snapped off on a -25C day about 10 years ago - quite a suprise (it stayed in the binding which didn't release). So stiff it was brittle.
snow conditions
Awesome boots.
ski holidays
We're not helping @tangowaggon, but @blahblahblah's suggestion is the one I would follow
latest report
@tangowaggon,
Whereabouts in Canada are you visiting? Know some good bootfitters in Whistler if you are looking to buy there. However for me, I consider bootfitting an "evolutionary process", so would expect to be going back to them for tweaks over quite some time, and even a bit of re-tweaking every now and then. On that basis I'd buy them locally - especially as the pound has taken a hammering.
ski holidays
@Mountain Haddock, Thank you. Does seem expensive in Canada.

@Stuarth raises a good point, would not want my first day to be on the slopes.
snow conditions
Its nice to have a normalish thread as well.
snow conditions
The standard answer to threads like this is to give a recommendation for the bootfitter nearest to the OP, bit hard to do this when people put joke locations in their profile.
ski holidays
As other say, boots will generally be more expensive in Canada, especially since the loon has taken a dive Sad
You may grab a bargain in any sales over there, as they do tend to discount more than here, but that's a gamble. SWMBO did when we were last there and boots needed to be bought too so were lucky.

I'd go for getting them in the UK, its always possible to get them tweeked when over there if really needed, some of this work often comes quite cheaply too - I know that the original bootfitter will offer comfort guarantee, but depending where you buy from it could cost to return there.

Where in CA are you heading to ? As no doubt there are folks here who could recommend boot fitters in plenty of the ski areas Confused Or ones to avoid wink
ski holidays

Anyone remember these?, they do have a flex figure of 80 I think, the writing has worn away, not sure if I would want a stiff boot as these can be hard on the shins when I compress a bump at high speed.
I'm in Whitby, so well away from any shops that sell ski gear, never mind being able to fit it.
Silver star , Canada is first stop unless I do psb, experience suggests thwt buying in the town down the mountain is a better deal than the resort
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LD mountain Center , new castle?

Don't know if they do fittings.
snow report
I have found them good on line.
snow conditions
90 minutes away ?
ski holidays
There is one shop in silver star that sells boots it's called ski dazzle. They dont have a huge range of boots. I got some insoles melted to fit there a couple of years ago. When we were there the staff were mostly aussie and uk ski instructors. They have had some boot fitting training but may be better looking over here. There is a realy good ski /boots/bike shop on the road just as you leave Vernon. They are good but its in Vernon not silver star and you would need a car to get there. The shop does have a web page I think.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't remember boots being as stiff as they are now. Maybe its just me.

I don't know about you but I'm far stiffer than I was 21 years ago rolling eyes
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, Where ?
ski holidays
deerman wrote:
@tangowaggon, Where ?

Everywhere but the one place that was definitely stiffer 21 years ago Sad
ski holidays
Boots sorted Very Happy Ellis Brigham at Castleford Xcape, kiled two birds with one stone, had a run out on the bike to Squires cafe with GF and a few guys and called at EB on the way home, got a few funny looks dressed in full bike gear asking for ski boots Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy