Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from the Uk to Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening everyone. I am thinking of driving from the UK to Meribel for the winter season, and i was wondering how easy it is and roughly how expensive? ill be driving my golf and would it damage the car if i left it outside for a month in the snow?
many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's very easy to drive. Look at the tunnel or ferry websites to get prices - and if you look at viamichelin.com and put that route in it will tell you the cost of tolls and fuel.

It probably won't damage the car but you'll need to dig it out fairly regularly (or it becomes much more difficult) and be sure to leave the handbrake off and the windscreen wipers lifted off the screen. Personally, I'd be trying to use it fairly regularly - for example to do a shop down in a valley supermarket - rather than leave it sitting there for a month.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cost for under cover parking for the season. could be of interest...
Meribel La Chaudane €250
Meribel Les Ravines €370 (30 places)
Meribel Le Rond Point des Pistes €250 (45 places)
Mottaret Le Hameau €350
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@3arnotg, Diesel or petrol? It makes a big difference to the fuel costs. To be honest the hardest part of the drive is the bit in the UK. It may only be 1/4 the distance but it is about 3/4 the hassle. Once you get to the channel your difficulties are largely over.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dont forget winter tyres as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Dont forget winter tyres as well.

Yes. And chains. And make sure you know how to use them.

If you don't intend to use a car at all once there it'd probably be better to go by public transport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
London to Meribel return will have a total cost around £1000. Fuel, tolls, tyre wear, depreciation, etc.

If left outside, in midwinter from Dec to Feb, move and drive car until oil temp hits at least 90c every 2-3 days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
London to Meribel return will have a total cost around £1000. Fuel, tolls, tyre wear, depreciation, etc.

If left outside, in midwinter from Dec to Feb, move and drive car until oil temp hits at least 90c every 2-3 days.

how much WITHOUT tyre wear and depreciation?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
letsgetpiste wrote:
Cost for under cover parking for the season. could be of interest...
Meribel La Chaudane €250
Meribel Les Ravines €370 (30 places)
Meribel Le Rond Point des Pistes €250 (45 places)
Mottaret Le Hameau €350

Or free further down the mountain..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@marcellus, its the under cover parking I was chucking prices at. Theres always free spaces if you're willing to be creative though! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letsgetpiste wrote:
@marcellus, its the under cover parking I was chucking prices at. Theres always free spaces if you're willing to be creative though! Toofy Grin

Yes iirc underground free parking to be had legally in Brides!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As explained, tolls are expensive, diesel is cheaper and make sure you grab some chains at Lidl when they are in - super cheap and good quality.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@marcellus, I stand corrected. I was not aware of season long, under cover parking.
*assumes the position*
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

how much WITHOUT tyre wear and depreciation?

about £400 in a diesel quite a lot more in a petrol
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I drive from Zeebrugge to Tignes in a similar diesel vehicle, its about €85 for diesel and €75 in tolls one way.

Don't forget if it is a diesel that parking outside has risks as diesel can go waxy below -15 which can mean an expensive trip to a garage.
snow conditions
Quote:

parking outside has risks as diesel can go waxy below -15

Best to buy diesel locally AND, if it's very cold, add some anti-waxing stuff.
snow report
@pam w, We used to be able to get -20 diesel in Tignes Le Lac, that has now closed and Bourg is only guaranteed to -15. Luckily, the Le Lac 3 carpark never drops below freezing so mine doesn't sound like a tractor!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I have covered parking, so no problem for me. For years I carried a wee bottle of the additive, but don't have it any more. But it's a sensible addition to the "emergency kit" (along with chains, a shovel, bars of chocolate, bottle of water etc).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy