Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions? Family, driving, self catering.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We did our first family ski holiday last new year in Morillon. It was fab and we would consider the same resort again this year. I just wanted to see if any of you had any other great resort suggestions first.

We will be driving so don't want to go too far.
We have two kids (aged 10 and Cool who will need lessons.
We would love ski in/out but don't mind a very short walk.
We would definitely like self catering.
The less actual clif edges the better - not sure my heart can cope with pulling young son out of the orange netting again! Confused

We used to love courchevel before kids but have only stayed in 1850 which I think might be a bit wasted on them. Would another one of the resorts in that area be good? Or anywhere else? or what about Flaine?

Thank you! X
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you looked at Portes du Soleil? (Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@huttohut not yet! But I will now. Which of those are likely to have more ski in/out?

@pamw good question! To be honest I'm not really sure. We need to stick to school holidays and had hardly any snow last new year so I'm wondering if half term or Easter might be better this time. I thought I'd try to narrow down the place first - although I am aware that different altitudes are better at different times of year. X
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@breeze11, yes, the timing makes a huge difference, because Easter is a fair bit later next year. If going at Easter (which will be much quieter and cheaper - it would be my choice) it will be best to be somewhere high. Val Thorens could be a good choice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you decide on half term you could do a lot worse than go back to Morillon. Children do like re-discovering their favourite spots and the chances are that snow will be far better than the very poor conditions (which were widespread throughout the northern Alps) last year. Finding your way round a completely new place, on only your second family holiday, could use up a fair bit of energy!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@breeze11, Avoriaz has more ski in/out, but the architecture is a bit Marmite and I'm not sure about the snow there at Easter.

Or Les Deux Alpes maybe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flaine is great for kids especially the newer Pierre et Vacances properties with pools. Proper ski in ski out and if you pick ESF they meet at the residence (but we use ESI). Actually dead easy to ski back for lunch as well, with nice sun facing balconies (make sure you get the right side though!). Historically Flaine hasn't done too badly at Easter but not as well as VThorens! It gets a lot of criticism here (looks, on piste food but you can take advice) but it works well for our family. Bear in mind Marvel will have snowmaking on it as well this year if you want Morillion again (or ski over form Flaine). I'd def look at Samoens and Avoriaz as well. Portes de Soleil and Grand Massif are just that bit closer if you are driving (compared to Tarentaise) and I think you dont quite get the same "funnel effect " on a transfer day. I d probably look at Arcs 1950 as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're looking at the 3V, you may find La Tania fits the bill. Lots of ski in ski out accommodation and, easy access to the wide slopes of Courchevel. Also Courchevel 1650 is good with lovely wide cruise slopes and the snow keeps well late into the season. Both have good English speaking ski schools on tap.
Flaine would be ok in April but some of the lower down skiing in the GM may have begun to get a bit patchy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kind of a fan, but Vallandry is a great family resort. Easy drive and plenty of self catering. While is relatively low you can easily get up to Arc 2000 bowl etc for snow sure skiing.

But honestly, kids that age, I'd stick with what you know and like

Which is why we're back in Vallandry for 10th year running Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Children do like re-discovering their favourite spots

I agree with@pam w, although I think Flaine and Val T could be an option. As already mentioned, Easter is a bit later this year.
Quote:

But honestly, kids that age, I'd stick with what you know and like

again a good point @Boris,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Menuires/Val Thorens surely for Easter 2017? Easter is very late next year so you'll need the altitude.....

Driving to Les Trois Vallees is pretty easy, 9 hours ish once you are out of the tunnel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val d'Isere.
Les Arcs 1800.
Verbier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've driven several times over the last few years. Flaine is very easy, as is Morzine, Les Gets (you go trough Les Gets to get to Morzine) and Chatel. Of these Flaine is probably the most ski-in/out, but I've a soft spot for Chatel. We used the car nearly every day there, and found the best way onto the slopes was to drive the few miles up the road to Pre la joux.

Not sure what they are like at Easter as we usually go at half-term.

Rob
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Easter is very late next year so you'll need the altitude.....

Whilst Easter itself is 3 weeks later the school holidays don't vary anywhere near as much. 2016 our last day was March 25th, in 2017 it will be 31st March. We go to Paradiski a lot with ours (currently 11 & 9) - ADH is also worth considering.
snow report
+1 for Flaine
+1 for Avoriaz (if there is no snow in Avoriaz at Easter then there will be no snow pretty much anywhere. Avoriaz is very ski in-ski out and traffic free.
If you want to go to the 3V, then maybe St Martin de Belleville
+1 for Vallandry or Montalbert.

I'd personally avoid Val d'Isere for smallish children. the runs back to resort certainly used to be horrible. Better now?
Morzine is way too low for my taste generally (I'm renowned for disliking it Embarassed ), but I think most will agree that mid-April really is way too late toi have reasonable likelihood of any decent snow down there.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd personally avoid Val d'Isere for smallish children. the runs back to resort certainly used to be horrible. Better now?

I'd avoid Val d'Isere if you're one of those people who feel that downloading in a lift threatens their manhood.

I agree Morzine isn't ideal for ski in/out in April.
latest report
Thank you everyone for the replies and advise. A good list of areas there to get me going. And I will have another look at Morillon too.

Thank you!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy