Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech in mid Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
We're looking for a week skiing from 14th Jan next year, and Lech is high on our wish list of resorts to try.

Our first question is whether the snow conditions are usually good by then, as we've been caught out a couple of times with early ski breaks and very limited sking due to lack of snow in other resorts that dont feature glacier skiing (La Tania (December), Kuhtai (December) and Les Gets (mid-January).

The other is whether we are better to book now to take advantage of early booking offers, or if there are likely to be better prices a week or two before to get a last minute deal?

Also if there would still likely be any availabilty if we did leave it til late? We've never held our nerve long enough to do a last minute booking before, but maybe this would get us a better price / give us other options if its another poor early season?

Any other advice / info on Lech greatly appreciated - incidentally, we're also really interested in the Jungfrau aea of Switzerland, but thought the snow likely to be better at Lech at that time of year?

Thanks everyone Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have been twice to Overlech in early Jan (and a further time to Stuben at the same time. Lack of snow was definitely not an issue Very Happy
Highly recommend the place. It really is a pretty special place in my view.
Not sure about last minute deals etc as we always go independent. I would suspect last minute deals would be pretty difficult to get??? I might be wrong though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect the snow is likely to be better in Lech at most times of the year. Better than Wengen, anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had some issues with lack of snow in Lech at the end of December the last few years (they had some really bad starts to the season) but before the end of the month the snow came in. It used to be a very snowsure resort, and I think if you look back over the last few years while they've had appalling Decembers, January has delivered. Some great skiing there & Zurs
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moseyp wrote:
Had some issues with lack of snow in Lech at the end of December the last few years (they had some really bad starts to the season) but before the end of the month the snow came in. It used to be a very snowsure resort, and I think if you look back over the last few years while they've had appalling Decembers, January has delivered. Some great skiing there & Zurs

The past two years have been average at best (and v poor at the start) in the northern Alps, but I don't think anywhere else was better than Lech at Christmas (other than glaciers). And even then that region (specifically linked resort Warth-Schröcken) got the most snow in the Alps (http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/who-got-the-most-snow/)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The past two years have been average at best (and v poor at the start) in the northern Alps

This. Even a lot of normally "snowsure" places were pretty rubbish at Christmas (despite some protestations to the contrary) but mid January was a different kettle of fish. In mid January, if you want to be sure of good snow, book in early January. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DebbieD, We ski the Arlberg 3-4x a season and always go mid January, never had an issue with snow quality, never stay in Lech either though, better places to stay in my opinion but its very chic if thats your thing. Its about as snow sure as you are going to get, bit like asking if Harrods will be selling Christmas decorations in the run up to the festive period. New lifts this season will transform the links to St Anton too. Go for it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If anywhere is going to have snow in mid January, Lech has to be up there with the best, The linked ski area of Warth/Shrocken is THE most snow sure area of the Alps. Accommodation will not be cheap but you are looking at just about one of the worlds best resorts. All the big locally owned hotels will probably already be booked solid by fairly wealthy German & Austrian visitors. There are 3 'Chalet Hotels' run by ski Total, 2 in reasonable(Montfort & Elizabeth), good positions close to the centre, 1 a bit of a dump about a mile outside of the centre (Sonneck). These offer good value, in fact EXCELLENT value due to the fully catered nature of the operation. I believe that the Theodul is also being run by a UK TO this season so might be more reasonable too. There are also some reasonable value Pensions but expect to spend a lot in the evenings if only on a B & B basis.
A very sophisticated resort with very nice guests on the whole. Go for it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The fur trimmed Bogner outfits as you approach Lech do seem to become more numerous - though nowhere near as many as in Vail when the Mexican plutocracy are in town.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DebbieD If you have to go mid Jan, Lech is a best bet for snow, may even be too much blocking the pass.
Yes book early to get a top hotel.
If you haven't got Bognor gear, Moncler or Fendi will do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone, it sounds like we should go for it, yippeeee! Laughing

Only thing now is where to stay - Ski Total Elizabeth is available that week, or Hotel Omesberg loks nice with Crystal, both around the same price for half board.

I tried looking up DIY flights, car hire, etc, but havent done this before for a ski hol, and a bit worried about driving ourselves (and possibly getting stuck) if the roads are super-snowy! The few I did look at didnt appear to work out that much cheaper, but maybe I was looking in the wrong places?!

We want to ski the Arlberg, but would be happy to stay in any of the villages around there as long is it is in a pretty area with some character (and not too long to walk to the lifts!).

Exciting! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, that's not really relevant though. I'm not saying Lech was worse than anywhere or comparing it to other resorts the last few years. We know it's been bad in the north. She asked how the snow conditions usually are in January, in Lech, and that's what I responded to
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DebbieD,
We always go for dinner in Hotel Omesberg once or twice during our holiday. (we're staying in a B&B). Very good kitchen, and friendly Herr Bucher is ever present! The Omesberg is located at the end of the Madlochabfahrt.
A bit further from the lifts, but very walkable, and you can probably store your gear near the lifts.

But most hotels in Lech are DIY...
Car rental is not necessary. Both Zürich and Innsbruck Airport have good train/bus connections to the Arlberg. And a taxi is not much more expensive than a rental car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp wrote:
@clarky999, that's not really relevant though. I'm not saying Lech was worse than anywhere or comparing it to other resorts the last few years. We know it's been bad in the north. She asked how the snow conditions usually are in January, in Lech, and that's what I responded to

My reading was that she wanted to know how Lech compared to other resorts at that time of year, so I think it was relevant.

I don't think I contradicted what you were saying though, just added some further background info that I thought would be useful.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DebbieD, if it's any help we stopped in Ski Total's Montfort in January and it was the best chalet hotel I've ever stopped in. Well run, cozy and good food. If Elizabeth is your bag I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'd say Montfort was closer to the lifts but not by much.
ski holidays
@clarky999, right fair enough
latest report
The Montfort is right next to the beginner ski area, literally a few steps away. It is also close to the main lifts Rufi for Zurs or cross the road to ski Lech/oberlech then on to Warth/Schrocken. The Elizabeth is maybe an extra 3-4 minutes walk to these but worth it for the extra facilities it offers. The Ski Total deals also include wine with the evening meal so will work out a better deal than the Crystal which won't. Don't bother with the Sonneck, it's a mile out of town and a dump. If traveling with Total all transfers are included so use them. The transfer from In is only a little over an hour and from Frederikshavn an hour & a half. If there are any closures of passes the TO will have to accommodate you so another bonus.
Once you have been to Lech you will never regret it.
snow report
Chalet Alpenland in Zug is a nice option, stopped there a couple of times now and nice access to area by the Zugerberg chair which is always really quiet in the morning. Getting back at the end of the day isn't quite so easy as basically you've only got a couple of off piste options or ungroomed routes, or the free bus back from Lech town itself, though these are all pretty straight forward.
ski holidays
The 2 chalets in Zug are OK but Zug is REALLY quiet and it only has the 1 old wooden chairlift to get you up to the ski area proper. There is 1 groomed route back to Zug from Lech but it's a bit of a slog as there are many flat sections, run No.48 as well as the 'itinerary' routes.
latest report
Agreed @oldmanoflech, it depends what the OP wants out of their trip but if they want a bit of apres, Zug is definitely not a good option, especially as the small bar up by the bus stop seems to be run by a woman with a sense of humour amputation. I've always found the lift to be fine (don't remember it being made of wood!) and a quick enough way to get to the bulk of the Lech skiing and over to Warth. Granted, the returns aren't ideal but if you can live with that I'd still consider it.
snow report
Zug lovely place, looks great from the lift, and great run down to from Madloch, but I have to say it'd be a bit quiet for me staying there. Really like the 2 person chair, take-off over the river and up through the trees. Restaurant at the top isn't too bad either!
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech keeps on saying it, but the Zugerbergbahn is not made of wood. Madeye-Smiley It's old indeed though; maybe Old Man is of wood himself? Toofy Grin
The Zugertobel route (ex 48; pistenumbers are changing this season) is groomed and open 90% of the time, and very easy. There are indeed two flat parts, but nothing too much. And the scenery is stunning.
Rumour has it that a better piste+lift connection for Zug is underway (but not this season)
latest report
Lech is the snowiest major resort in the whole European Alps.

A typical French resort gets around 200-600cm snowfall per year. Lech gets 600-800cm.

Lech will have nuff snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy