Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens 1600 and impact of Club Med building work

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My family are looking to spend a month or two in Samoens in the Grand Massif and we discovered Club Med are in the process of building a huge complex on the plateau of Samoens 1600. I've doing a lot of research the last few days and even talked to the Tourist Office there as we are concerned the building work will continue during the ski season and interrupt the nursery slopes and restaurants up there but to date I can't get a clear answer. I can't imagine they would be able to build during the ski season but does anyone know for sure if Sameons will be as normal as possible with the plateau "made good"?

Many thanks in advance,

James.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi James
The Club med complex only affects 1 nursery slope (La Char if you are looking at a piste map) which will now be a permanent private slope reserved for club med clients.
All other nursery slopes should open as normal (snow permitting of course).
The only disruption to you would be if you plan to drive up to 1600 rather than get the GME - I'm not sure what the road access will be like given the building changes/alterations.
All the restaurants and businesses will need to be open as normal or there would be uproar!
Hope that helps,
FS
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should do a lot of research on this site as much has been posted and discussed. @Freestyle, is quite right in what he says.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies but didn't find much in the way of posts on this particular subject (although I did find the one thread that mentioned it and the lift changes). I was particularly interested in the impact over the ski season itself though since I'm hoping to stay in that exact area! I'm still tapping up the various ski schools etc and will report back what I find. I too find it hard to believe that plateau won't be useable and peaceful but I'd rather be safe!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you staying in Samoens village or in Samoens 1600?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoping to stay at 1600 - there's even a place under one of the restaurants right next to the building work! The owner isn't exactly happy but doesn't know more details currently...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, in which case, I see the dilemma.
For those of us staying in the village, I guess construction noise, parking or -maybe fewer restaurants than usual - would not massively affect a holiday (other than unattractive cranes on arrival at the top of the GME).
Please let us know what you find out.
FS
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're stopping at 1600 I guess the disruption and noise might not be great. But, in terms of construction traffic you're obviously not going to be driving too much once you are up there and have dropped the car off. Just try and get your food supplies in as much as possible in advance so you're not driving down to the village that much (you'd want to do that anyway). And once you're out in the daytime it'll not be a problem either.

It also very much depends where at 1600 you're stopping; we stopped under the Tremplin restaurant this year and that's sufficiently far enough away from where they are building to not be any problem at all I don't expect.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were out in Samoens a couple of weeks ago, and there are a lot of cranes and construction vehicles, but surly they would not build at 1600 through the winter?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We drove up to 1600 this afternoon to see what was happening. Slow drive up as we were stuck behind a very large wide load. There were at least two sets of temporary traffic lights on the way up. I think I counted at least seven cranes, and a massive amount of work going on. Could just spot in the middle of all that the top of the gondola. It will be interesting to see how far it all gets by the winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I went up in July, I couldn't believe the size of the project (especially as I hadn't heard it was coming). The major worry once it opens (not this season coming) is the movement of the extra people around the mountain at peak times. There is talk of new lifts, flattening out of The Tete de Sais (top of Samoens that gets very busy) and new ski areas being built between Samoens and Morillon (where the current Lanche lift is) - this has been mooted as an idea for years. Long term, I think this will be good for the area - especially as in Summer 1600 looks very tired and messy, short term - it's gonna be a hassle I suspect. Time will tell... perhaps property values will rise and I can sell my apartment and bring the money back to the UK whilst the £ is struggling Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Someone may have already posted this elsewhere... but this article is full of info (and comments/questions at the bottom)
http://www.zigzagski.com/club-med-samoens-will-affect/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stevo_the_saddler, you may be interested to watch the build - looks like all the cranes are gone - which is good - so I guess they will do the internal work over the winter. Hope the new lifts will be up and running...

http://m.webcam-hd.com/samoens/panoramique
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ps. Don't sell your apartment - Ferme de Samoens has the best ski bus service in town!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy