Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski job with a medical twist??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, was recommend that SH contains lots of knowledgeable peeps!

Wanted to pick your collective brains about a medical-related ski season?
I'm applying to uni this year to do (hopefully!) medicine and am committed to taking a gap year. I've always wanted to do a ski season but I've been told numerous times that gap years are almost frowned upon by unis if they're not used constructively...would there be anyway of getting a placement at a medical centre for a couple of weeks/months?? Completely happy for it to be unpaid, etc.
Or if not, how likely would it be to get a shorter contract, eg like 3 months instead of the season? Have a few horses at home that I'd quite like to spend a few months training with and 5 months away from riding is a looonngggg time!! Plus time to spend doing useful volunteering for uni Smile

Thank you guys, any suggestions v gratefully appreciated!

P.S. feel free to move this if in wrong section Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you got any language skills ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basic French and German. Took both to GCSE with A and B, but in the grand schemes of languages, not really
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ballyellie, gap years are in not frowned on by universities - in fact probably the opposite as you're likely to have more motivation and idea of what you actually want to do after one.

But if you're worried about it, just apply and then defer it once you've got your offers, then go away skiing and concentrate on fun.

From a placement standpoint, I suspect you've got very little chance... At least in Austria there are already more med students than internship/placement spaces (my ex was a med student here) so competition is really high even for those already in the 'system.' And you're going to have language difficulties (with patients) everywhere other than US/Canada.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ballyellie, What would you expect to do in a medical centre as a totally unqualified 18yo ? I guess you could work as a cleaner but would that really help ?

I wasn't very impressed with the trainee who put in some stitches for me at the Tignes medical centre, I would have preferred someone who knew what they were doing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The only useful medical experience you will gain working near / in a ski resort is in orthopaedics or sports medicine - and you would need to hang around a lot and miss lots of skiing to get it. If you get a place in medical school, don't worry about trying to get medical experience before you start - 10 years later you will be dreaming of all the things you could have done that didn't involve patients!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about a year out becoming a ski instructor and then working the season? I'm sure a university would see that as being a constructive use of a gap year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Committed" to a gap year?

Oxymoron alert!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ballyellie, Son no 3 took a gap year (not a lot of choice for him really as we already had our other 2 offspring at Uni) before studying medicine and has just this summer started work as an F1.

He did some travelling and 'fun' things in his year off but also spent some time working in a GP`s as a receptionist and case note summarizer. He also helped out at our local ballroom/latin dance school. I`d say as many of his contemporaries took gap years as did not but it seems to really up your chances of getting in to med school if you can slant your life/training/experiences towards helping you prepare for a career in medicine.

In some respects those who take a year out have an advantage if the time is used at least partially constructively. (Some med students have worked in care homes for some of their gap year for example) You also need to get over the relevance of what you have done in a very few paragraphs in your 'oh so important' Personal Statement.

If you want to work in a ski resort for some of the year consider looking for a job working with children or disabled skiers. You do occasionally see ads wanting really good skiers as helpers on ski trips for the disabled and I`d guess there are opportunities as chalet staff to help give the little ones their high tea if nothing else! Or if the ski season bit of your year can not be made to have direct relevance to your Uni application just ensure that much of the rest of the year is used for that purpose. If nothing else the time spent in the Alps would demonstrate a certain maturity in that you are capable of living away from home and fending for yourself.

You just need to grab any experience you can that shows a caring role, knowledge of NHS procedures, maturity, responsibility etc and make it look good on your personal statement. Good luck!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If nothing else the time spent in the Alps would demonstrate a certain maturity in that you are capable of living away from home and fending for yourself

As an experienced assessor of top graduates I'd have been almost entirely unimpressed by that argument, I'm afraid.

My niece, before going to med school, did a 3 month attachment to a surgeon in a Beijing hospital. She wasn't allowed to chop anybody up but did get to see a huge amount of surgery, and as he was a good communicator, learnt a lot. She had been undecided about medicine, but that made up her mind. But she was already a graduate - I doubt if that sort of opportunity is open to school leavers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ballyellie, I'm a keen skier and consultant physician at a teaching hospital. As others have mentioned, if coming straight from school any good life experience may be beneficial. I'm happy to advise further via PM.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 4-09-16 11:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My niece, some years older than most first year medical students, found that she had become much less of an "exam passing machine" than many of her colleagues but she had lots of other experience and has sought more since, whenever possible. For example two summer vacations in Africa. She's now a year or so into her GP training in London and actually looks about 18 - hopefully the patients she sees won't think she's on Year 10 work experience!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As above, I think you will struggle to find any work related to medicine in a ski resort. I'm guessing money is not a huge issue to you if your happy to work voluntarily and have "a couple of horses". In which case why not go to uni and ski in the holidays? 3 weeks for Christmas and 2 for easter is not uncommon. Plus there is often a week between January exams and classes starting again. Maybe even a reading week. Plus the option of bunking off (not advisable, but plenty do). If you can't fit in 3 weeks skiing while at uni you have no hope once you have a job and kids!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only thing that sprung to mind is volunteering with BASP (British Association of Ski Patrollers). Your "season" would prob end up in Fort William or Aviemore but you will get some skiing and possibly accompany piste patrol on retrieving injured mountain users. The BASP guys provide the first aid for the downhill mountain bike world cup and other events and are well respected as an "emergency service" in those circles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy