Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Required - inexpensive resort in Jan 2017 for 2-3 middle aged intermediate duffers

Poster: A snowHead
Possibility of a boys' week away in mid-late Jan. 2017. It will need to be relatively inexpensive and good for intermediate (blues and reds) old gits (think Statler and Waldorf on skis), with some apres, but not too fussed about apres (any apres will be old git apres - beer, beer, beer). Will need to be catered (hotel or chalet, not fussed) and we will probably go with a TO - we will want a low hassle holiday. I quite fancy Austria for a change.

At least one of us (that's me) will most likely be having ski school lessons (or possibly a couple of privates)

Unless anything grabs us by the bits, we may well wait till nearer the time for a late deal - obviously, we won't necessarily get the pick of the resorts then.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are looking for a package which includes ski lessons we are running a trip which might be suitable, to the Brenta Dolomites in Italy. If your friends don't want lessons they can just book the accommodation part of the package, and then meet up with you in the afternoons for free skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Passo Tonale in Italy many times & really like it, good skiing, some good hotels & a few bars. If you get a Superskirama ski pass you can ski the Madonna Di Campiglio area which is accessible using a free bus which goes to Marileva 900.
It's reasonably priced, the UK tour operators go there. The reason I went so many times was the local tourist board did a free ski pass promotion, but to access this you have to book the hotel direct yourself & make your own transport arrangements, but this suited us better than a package.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, that is so tempting.......my skiing could do with some proper coaching....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dobby, warning, you will come back wanting more instruction from Rob, Scott and the team if you do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ansta1, I need some if I am to try to keep up with the kids (no hope - they have working knee joints)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1 wrote:
@dobby, warning, you will come back wanting more instruction from Rob, Scott and the team if you do.

++1

worth every penny...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
If you are looking for a package which includes ski lessons we are running a trip which might be suitable, to the Brenta Dolomites in Italy. If your friends don't want lessons they can just book the accommodation part of the package, and then meet up with you in the afternoons for free skiing.

This looks right on the button for you . I did a day in Hemel and it was excellent. Bomardinos all round !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dobby, if you don't go ahead with @rob@rar's great suggestion and carry on looking at Austria, we found Soll to be pretty cheap through Crystal. There's also a hotel in Hinterglemm (Hotel Reisinger) that is very reasonable value through Neilson - the food is edible but not outstanding - the skiing on the Ski Circus is a big step up in quality terms compared to the Skiwelt though (IMO).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dobby, My wife booked us a week with crystal at a catered chalet in Alpe d'Huez last year. It was £400 each including ski transport and flights from an airport not at the extreme end of England. It was very good. So my suggestion is not to look at the resort at the moment, but wait until early January and see what is available. Keep an open mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you decide against the Inside Out option (which would be excellent) I agree with @johnE; you should have a good choice of deals for those dates AND you'll know where the snow is best.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE and @pam w, thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avoid the night race week and Schladming would be a good option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby wrote:
Possibility of a boys' week away in mid-late Jan. 2017. It will need to be relatively inexpensive and good for intermediate (blues and reds) old gits (think Statler and Waldorf on skis), with some apres, but not too fussed about apres (any apres will be old git apres - beer, beer, beer). Will need to be catered (hotel or chalet, not fussed) and we will probably go with a TO - we will want a low hassle holiday. I quite fancy Austria for a change.

At least one of us (that's me) will most likely be having ski school lessons (or possibly a couple of privates)

Unless anything grabs us by the bits, we may well wait till nearer the time for a late deal - obviously, we won't necessarily get the pick of the resorts then.

you could do a lot worse than stay here - http://www.stafflerhotel.com/ - based in Niederau so got some easy local slopes. About 10 minutes in the bus one way is Alpbach/Auffach which are both lovely austrian resorts with about 100km between them, going the other way you have the whole of ski-welt with places like Elmau, Going, Brixen in Thalen etc, and most importantly the 'rib restaurant'.
The best bit is that the staffler lays on guiding every day, they use excellent standard skiers who really know the local runs and you can cruise the mountain without ever looking at a map. More importantly they know all the best coffee stops, resturants etc, and you'll always get a table...

that apart there's a really friendly feel to the place, a nice bar in the hotel, decent good honest food, and if your upto it a night club downstairs.. If you're still there at 4am then making the shuttle bus at 8am is a good challenge!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiwelt is pretty economical. Westendorf probably has the best skiing and you can link to Kitzbuhel as well (kitzalps pass is not much more than skiwelt), the slopes are nearer to the village than Soll. Apres is fairly low key but Bruchstall and the cow shed can offer beer, more beer, oompah music and the nail game.
We have stayed in B&B but people seem quite happy with the hotels. hotel Post is central.
latest report
Mayrhofen is also fairly cheap, has the appropriate après (I know, being a 52 year old man with barely working knees who will be in Mayrhofen with a group of similar on 21 Jan). Plenty of appropriate level skiing too.

As stated above Soll would be a good shout too. Crystal have a deal where you stay B & B but get vouchers to spend in various restaurants.
snow report
Ski amade? Hire car circe 150E cheapish accommodation, lots of different areas. Nightlife - hey its Austria!
snow report
@rob@rar, just been reminded by the keeper-of-the-brownie-points that the elder daughter's b'day is that week, so will probably have to ski the week before. Shame! Anyway, time to have a chat with BIL who has apartment in Morzine and who may (or may not) fancy three or four (sometimes drunken) idiots from Wales joining him for a week.....who could say no to such an offer?
latest report
@dobby, good plan! Earn some brownie points for next season wink Take a look at our trip in March to San Cassiano which might also be of interest?
snow report
Saalbach.
Bansko.
Borovets.
Sierra Nevada.
Sauze d'Oulx.
La Tania.
ski holidays
Montgenevre is good as it has blues from the tops of both sides of the mountain. 60k from Turin so not hard to get to. i am not sure about the accommodation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy