Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux Report - 3rd Sept 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
EDIT: Thread Title Altered from 'Hintertux Now?' as just got back from our trip Very Happy

We're off to the Ziller Valley for 4 or 5 days' hut to hut walking from this weekend - and thinking of a day or 2 on the slopes at Hintertux.

The website is saying there's 18km of piste open and the upper webcams show things looking not too bad - but I'm just wondering if anyone's been recently or is there now?

We've previously skied a very grey and bare glacier in Tignes in August - and managed to enjoy that (we really are easily pleased wink ) - so we're not exactly expecting winter snow!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-09-16 10:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, I don't know what conditions are like right now. I've been up there a few times in August and always came away asking myself why I bothered. Grey/blue ice in a dirty gey surrounding about sums it up.
There's better things to do in the alps in summer imo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is possible snow forecast at altitude on Sunday/Monday. You may be lucky. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can see where you are coming from Steilhang - as I said we had the near-quarry experience one hot summer's day on the Tignes glacier.

After getting over the shock of the sight of the bare glacier, we found it wasn't as bad as we'd first feared and we actually enjoyed ourselves!

And (as far as I can see) cover has looked fairly decent all summer on Europe's glaciers - they don't seem to have got to the usual, high summer quarry-like state.

Will keep an eye on the forecast Bennyboy1 - but I think we'll be minded to give it a whirl.

If so, will report back on our return (after 10th September).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mountainaddict; I would be interested to hear how it goes for you , I am thinking of buying in the Zillertal but hadn't thought I would ski in the summer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
most recent conditions here, 27-08
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=55677&start=75
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looking not toooo bad for this time of year, normally september the worst month for snow

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta for that Onnem - we've definitely skied worse in high summer Smile.

Trip report to follow in about a week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Mountainaddict; I would be interested to hear how it goes for you , I am thinking of buying in the Zillertal but hadn't thought I would ski in the summer.

I wouldn't particularly consider summer skiing (unless you're into seasoning the park), BUT (based on my experience at Stubai) you will get another few months (May/June and Oct/Nov) skiing over other resorts when conditions can actually be really good.

I can see both sides Stielhang's and mountainaddict's views above. There certainly are way better things to do in the Alps in summer than scratch about on a glacier, BUT those first few weeks when the glacier's re-open in mid Sept/October are always some of the most fun of the season. You're often dodging rocks and jumping over pools of meltwater in the middle of the piste, but the slopes are quiet, you haven't been on snow for months, no matter how crap the snow the Autumn light is incredible up on a glacier, and you get to just rip around with your mates knowing it's the beginning of another winter. And everyone else there is in the same position - the atmosphere and stoke is always high.

I might feel differently if I had to pay/travel for it though!!

EDIT: Also you get a change to check the state of the ice and mark new/old/changed crevasses for spring.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, always love the first skiing in October/ November. Autumn colors down in the valley snow up top. Did once manage to catch 40cm of fresh in Hintertux in August which was fun for a morning. But normally I prefer hiking, swimming and running in summer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a great week in the Zillertal - Five days' hut to hut hiking (all huts very comfortable); mainly sunny weather (one wet day when we were hiking - with fresh snow/tricky walking conditions above 2600m); and Hintertux (last Sunday) far exceeded our expectations. Definitely worth the visit Very Happy

Conditions were much better than we'd anticipated with about 20km of piste & 600m vertical back to Tuxer Fernerhaus at the bottom of the glacier. Cover on the runs was pretty extensive overall for the time of year - hardpack to start with, softening through the morning. There were a few bare bits as the day wore on but overall great for the time of year. We've certainly skied worse snow in the main winter season.

However - never having been in early September before - we were shocked to see that, in the main, the glacier has retreated to about 100m above Tuxer Ferner - although it is a bit lower down to the right as your look up the mountain. They've done well to create a zig zag piste to the bottom and they've also got a fair bit of the glacier near the bottom covered with plastic sheeting to protect it - something we'd not seen before.

It was a similar situation on our hike - the glaciers above the huts are much smaller than on fairly recent photos on postcards on sale in the huts. All quite sad but we are where we are with global warming....Confused

And here are a few pics of the trip:

Glacier viewed from Tuxer Fernerhaus

It was very bare in parts....

But pistes were generally excellent for early September

Softer snow later on - NB the plastic sheeting protecting the glacier

A few bare/wet bits appeared as the day wore on

And some photos of our hiking

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, looks really good for end of summer, thanks for the report. I wonder how it compares to last summer in terms of glacier retreat.

Seeing your pics has certainly made me want to try summer skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, we were there at beginning of August (not to ski ) but was very sad to see the picture that showed the retreat of the glacier from the 1930's onwards
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski: My Zillertal map is about 15 years old - and shows the glacier extending below the Tuxer Fernerhaus restaurant. The current map shows it well above the restaurant - so the loss has been very significant in a fairly short time.

On our walk we saw a 2004 photo of the glacier above the Berliner Hutte - there's been an even bigger glacial retreat there in only 12 years....

Bennyboy1: As clarky999 has alluded to, you generally get great snow and cover at least into June on the glaciers - and we've always had good snow up to about mid-July when summer skiing at Tignes over most of the last 7 or 8 summers. There are plenty who won't entertain summer skiing - but we love it Very Happy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
40cm of snow forecast for the weekend. Winter is coming Smile

Cue comments of one snow shower a winter does not make etc Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy