Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else excited yet?

Poster: A snowHead
24 weeks (!), but I didn't get to go last year...

now instead of smuggling cycling kit into the house without the missus seeing, it's new ski gear.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kooky wrote:
I am stupidly excited too! I just got my new Whitedots (Thanks again for the amazing help Spiderjon!)
I am so seriously excited I have them proped up in my bedroom so they are the last thing I see at night, and the first thing in the morning Madeye-Smiley

I seem to recall seeing photos of them tucked up on the bed next to you Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Magazine 2017 Buyers Guide came in mail last night. Ramping up the ski excitement factor!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm buzzing Very Happy

Wife has allowed me do 2 trips! Lots of activity on this site in last week or so which is always great to see
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
motyl wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
My wife has to put her clothes in one of the spare rooms Happy

That's known as a walk-in wardrobe, isn't it? Smile

No, I'm not calling it that otherwise it will get filled more and more with clothes she never wears Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Passo Stelvio shuts at the end of October then Bormio opens end of November. A whole month with out skiing disaster Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Getting excited. I booked our Easter flights today and the rugby season has started Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You know the ski season is coming when the whole first page of snowHeads has topics written on today, which is in Stark contrast to last week Happy. WINTER IS COMING...... (see what I did there ;-p)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@musher, what you on about, the true rugby season started in Feb. None of that slow yawnion lark for me wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I find it hard to take skiing seriously, let alone buying new ski boots, whilst it's lovely model aircraft flying weather.

Well, still lots of lovely sailing weather (I'd be sailing right now but the boat is having a new gearbox fitted), and I'm also looking forward to an autumn trip to the Alps with a side-trip down to Turin for the slow food festival.

But, very much looking forward to skiing with family at Christmas, keeping an eye on date for discounted season pass, getting back into the XC too.

But I can wait (in contrast to some above) as I expect to thoroughly enjoy the intervening time, especially autumn in the Alps and renting a bike to ride round Lake Annecy. Time goes fast enough when you're elderly, without wishing it away.

But I did google for pictures of the new fast 6 man chairlift which is under construction and forwarded them to friends with apartments near mine. And I positively enjoy spending the money on the season pass. So yes, to answer the question, definitely excited! snowHead

One of the many good things about skiing is having a reason to welcome and embrace the winter!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:

One of the many good things about skiing is having a reason to welcome and embrace the winter!

True! A lot of people here are moaning about the coming winter - I'll admit November and December can be a struggle before the snow comes - but I cant wait! Fingers crossed for a good one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes I'm excited but I think it's going to be very strange skiing without Samerberg Sue. But even more reason for me to return to the places she loved the most and have more than a few Heiße Witwes in her honour.

Got dates pencilled in w/c 21st January and w/c 4th March. Might even manage a sneaky weekend somewhere or even a bash if funds and time off work allow. Of course there is also the small matter of new skis. I've been working like a robot and saving hard this year... wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queen bodecia,
Now is the time to buy snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia, I'll be in Flachau in your January week. I will be with my beginner brother in law so it will be great to be able to ski with you. This is how I am missing Sue as I always had her to ski with when I come out on my own
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find myself looking at webcams all year round. Cannot help myself. Sitting on the beach in the med dreaming of the snow. It's an addiction.

Dec 7 days Mayrhofen
Jan weekend in Hochfugen
Early March - weekend in Arlberg - Warth
Then 10 days in Mayrhofen again late March.

If I can persuade my wife we may do a early trip in Nov and another late trip April.
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, awesome, you're on.
snow report
Italy and EOSB for me and off course Glencoe.

Then one more business meeting in Tokyo via Japan ski centre (not decided yet) Happy
snow report
Realistically though we are about as far away from good skiing conditions as it is possible to get in the calendar ie. Four months in both directions Sad
ski holidays
@Peter S, luckily time only moves in one direction though so it's a good time to start getting excited snowHead
snow conditions
One week booked so far with family in Feb. Hoping week two in Jan will get sorted in next couple of weeks. New skis bought from @spyderjon.
Promising myself that with decent snow I will get back tk Scotland this year as well.Family injury meant we were restricted last season so want to make it up
snow conditions
@cad99uk,

...just back from the Alps too

force-marched 13 yo daughter to Turtmann Hutte while 11 yo son yomped up. DH at Crans Montana - no accidents. New POC body armour for the 11 yo arrived on Friday. New POC full face lid will be under the Christmas tree for him this coming December.

...this morning lying aching after an afternoon of fast single-track in Stanmer Woods and long grass uphill slogs on the South Downs. Son nursing sore knee after an interaction with the top of one suspension leg - this done getting onto the road, after hours of genuinely dangerous high-speed single track. Happens.

But this....

I am no longer into wishing away any time at all. At 58 I want to use every minute well. Recovery from injury is now slower at this age, stamina is great, but keeping muscle bulk is hard. So it's mountain-biking the moment we get back in the UK from the mountains, walking on the Fells when we can (the long drive from Cambridge is a dis-incentive) and skiing whenever we can. But I have stopped wishing away the months. And yesterday it was clear why ...

2.5 hour drive to the South Downs leaving at 7
Great Cafe breakfast and then pick up Anthony after he has done cycle coaching
Then into the woods with 11 yo and Ant
The beech woods are fabulous at this time of year - quiet reflections as we go up the paths to the top before doing more single-track; then a long sit down and chat, watching the buzzards in the valleys

I am greatly looking forward to getting on the ferry at Christmas, new gear loaded in the back. But I make sure I fill every day before then with good stuff, not wishing them away....
snow conditions
Very childish...but so right! I p***ed Mrs G off as it is 30 degrees here and I said I couldn't wait as in 12 weeks time we will be skiing! Bought a load of new kit in Canada earlier this summer, whether we really needed it or not, as it as less than half the price of Europe. We picked up North Face bubble jackets for less than 20 pounds...we bought 10, so everybody we ski with has a NF bubble jacket...thank you Canada. 🇨🇦
ski holidays
Is everyone on Snowheads retired and/or millionaires? How does everyone seemingly manage to ski for most of the season?

I will do my usual week in Val D'Isere in mid-March. Hopefully I'll have a week in Austria end of Jan but nothing's booked or decided yet. It's too early to get excited, my first trip is 5 months away and I've just got back from a summer holiday!
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, I get 6 weeks leave and I bought another 2 weeks this year to carry forward. I will use 4.5 weeks of that skiing so still have time off for other stuff as well. Granted 3.5 weeks will be in my own place in Flachau and I will have a season ticket so cost per ski week/day is lower than it might otherwise be
latest report
@HoneyBunny, I only get 3 weeks annual leave, but I have managed in the past few years to save enough to make 2 of them ski weeks. I also get 8 extra days, which can be taken in multiples of 3, so in the absence of 2 ski weeks, I could have 1 week and 1 short break. The only problem there is that ski short breaks cost a very similar amount to a ski week!

But to answer your question I'm neither retired nor a millionaire.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Is everyone on Snowheads retired and/or millionaires? How does everyone seemingly manage to ski for most of the season?

my first trip is 5 months away and I've just got back from a summer holiday!

There's clue no 1!
snow report
Also back from summer hols and starting to think about winter. However a different dynamic as Hannah's doing her GCSE's this year and doesn't want to go at half term so working out how to get my skiing in. Will ask mate I go with in January if he would prefer Jan or March. Also need to see if I can get in a weekend as well as two weeks not sure how that would work if I did a week in Jan and week in March, not keen on a weekend in February due to half term busyness.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

my first trip is 5 months away and I've just got back from a summer holiday!

There's clue no 1!

Summer holidays dont exist..... Must save for skiing. Its taken 9 years but have finally convinced the wife we need 3 weeks this year snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I enjoy all four seasons. As pam says, no point wishing your life away. I am wishing for a very snowy winter, but it'll come when it comes. Hopefully a few hot days yet before the sun retreats.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:

I will do my usual week in Val D'Isere in mid-March. Hopefully I'll have a week in Austria end of Jan but nothing's booked or decided yet. It's too early to get excited, my first trip is 5 months away and I've just got back from a summer holiday!

Top cash back . co . uk link to get 10% on
hotels.com for free days

and Avios
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:

We are so very lucky as we can work from anywhere so we chose to live close to Lake Annecy, for obvious reasons...it means that so many places are accessible in France, Switzerland and Aosta Valley.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

Top cash back . co . uk link to get 10% on
hotels.com for free days

and Avios

This

Plus get a BA Amex card plus Lloyds Avios credit card and youll soon build those Avios up nicely.

Add to that - you can convert your shell and Tesco clubcard points into avios point, free flights for years!!

(oh and Llovds avios credit card gives business class upgrade voucher if you spend more than 7k)
snow report
Oh yes..I forgot about tesco points and avios...which largely fund my travel
snow report
YES, all beyond sane and sensible reason...

Is ski fanaticism sectionable ?

A toast to all devoted snow addicts out there and here to... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Excited about next winter? It's still t-shirt and shorts weather around here - at least sometimes - and I like the summer.
latest report
Took delivery of a couple of flash vests today after seeing them in the states last season so the new gear is starting to trickle in.

It may well be that we're skiing over a big birthday in Feb 17 so we might end up in a "finest" hotel. Bloomin expensive though...
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:

For me its more interesting to hear what people in similar situations manage or aspire to do (for me that's a family with normal 9-5 jobs), not retired, self-employed, millionaires, people that live near the Alps etc.
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

Like all addicts we find a way Smile
Im skiing for 2 months this year.
I am a plasterer and work can be a feast or a famine , i do a few part time jobs on top of that on weekends.
My partner is a cleaner on minimum wage.

i am quiet for dec and jan so im happy to take those months out (self employed)
Partner saves holidays and is taking rest unpaid.
We are both good at what we choose to do so just pick up where we left off on our return.

We have been working overtime since we came back from last ski trip in March with barely a day off Smile

So definitely not retired nor a millionaire but can ski most of a season ( i think , this is the 1st go at it )
snow conditions
@hawkwind, that's a commendable effort!
I'd like to work out a way of doing a month... maybe get my partner to come out and join me for a week of it. Not sure how work would take it, but I don't use leave during the summer months!
latest report
@letsgetpiste, thanks, It hasn't been easy at times but will be worth it.

My attitude was to just book it and do it, all the worries are just that, worries, things always work out when you work hard at it

My partner is the sensible one but she's excited now too after much initial worrying!

Just do it!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy