Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara (Alta Badia) piste question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I will ski in Alta Badia in 2017. I am timid skier, so prefer easy blue pistes. I thought of accommodation near the col alto lift.
Is the slope just after col alto lift OK for me? I read its sometimes mouguly and a bit steep. Is there an easy route around it good for 2nd week timid skier?
thanks
Amir
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@amirw11, hi and welcome snowHead

If you mean at the top of the lift, the exit from Col Alto is particularly awkward. You have two options:
1. After the exit ramp turn sharp right and head down the moguls
2. Head straight on for a short distance then follow the tight bend around to the right. This does tend to turn into a narrow rutted track, but it's very short.

After you've negotiated the top, you can head off in a number of directions. It's not the easiest exit for a beginner, but after you've survived it once, you'll see its not that bad and shows all the other lift exits to be a doddle Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!
Do you know of a better entry point? I am looking for a 4 star ski in/out of close to lift hotel in Alta Badia.
I found sportsHotel near arlara lift - but seems it is quite some walk uphill Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only ski in/out I've staying in around there is the Albergo Frohsinn in San Cassiano. It's very well positioned for easy access, but it's not 4 star although I think they may have had a refurb.

The area generally is good for beginners, but most accommodation is a short walk from the piste rather than on it. Personally, I wouldn't let a tricky lift exit dissuade me from a chosen hotel - go up in the morning before the moguls have formed and check it out. If you're still concerned, get an instructor to show you the best way down.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
seems you are right!
Just found Hotel Ciasa Salares in Armentarolla - 50 meter from the small pull-bar. seems nice hotel. Will consider it too.
Thanks so much!
Amir
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@amirw11, no problem! As long as you don't mind the quiet - 2 hotels is about all there is in Armentarola, apart from the taxi stop.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you considered Colfosco? just outside Corvara and more of a village than Armentarola (+ easy runs !), with easy access to the Alta Badia
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second Colfosco. You can stay in the village and have ski in/ski out convenience. Easy slopes right out your door. We stayed at the Kolfuschgerhof, just up the road above town. Great 4* hotel. They have a shuttle on a continuous loop that drops you off and picks you up slopeside. About a 2 minute ride on the shuttle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks. many good options. Will have to take a decision!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hotel Arlara in Corvara is right next to the Arlara chairlift. At the top you have two easy slopes: one to bottom of Pralongia II chairlift and another to bottom of Braia Frada chairlift

In Colfosco, Hotel Luianta is right next to the top station of the Sodlisia chairlift thus giving you easy access to the blue slopes from there. Romantik hotel capella is next to the nursery slopes.

Also in Corvara, you can access the main slopes a third way by taking the Maserai chair, then the first stage of the Capanna Nera Poma lift. Once off the poma lift, cross over the piste and ski down to the bottom of the Pralongia chair. Take this chair up to the Pralongia slopes which are all mostly easy slopes. Hotel Arkadia is across the road from the bottom of the initial Maserai chairlift
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wondering what has happened to the old names for the towns in the Dolomites. Why is Kurfar now known as Corvara for example.

This is not an idle question. We identified a nice walk and via ferrata (sadly now closed) near Wolkenstein which was marked quite clearly on my 1:50,000 map, but road signs to the town seem to have completely disappeared. It ended up as a confusing drive through a town called Selva
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You also have Garni La Tranquillite, tried to get in here but fully booked the week we go. Looks nice and right on the slope down to Boe lift in Corvara.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A lot of the towns and villages have residents who speak a mixture of languages: Ladin, Italian and German. Hence the town/village names are given in different languages.

Ladin: Sëlva
Italian: Selva di Val Gardena
German: Wolkenstein
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog wrote:
A lot of the towns and villages have residents who speak a mixture of languages: Ladin, Italian and German. Hence the town/village names are given in different languages.

Ladin: Sëlva
Italian: Selva di Val Gardena
German: Wolkenstein

Absolutely! Here's a few more:

Ladin: Urtijëi
Italian: Ortisei
German: Sankt Ulrich

Ladin: Calfosch
Italian: Colfosco
German: Kolfuschg

Ladin: San Ciascian
Italian: San Cassiano
German: Sankt Kassian

etc.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Posta Zirm Hotel at foot of Col Alto lift is in a great location. Not stayed myself but friends have & are returning again this year. I would not worry about the slope at the exit of the lift as although steep its wide and first thing in the morning pisted beautifully as is the narrow road that goes down the side. Also people are being careful there and give each other lots of space as its first run of day. After that we don't often need to use this slope again as the ski area here is so varied. It would be a shame to let this put you off.
ski holidays
We stayed in the Col Alto hotel in Corvara and I can highly recommend it. The bar, restaurant, staff were excellent and Mrs Goliard said the spa was good as well. The rooms were also modern and spacious. There was a continuous hotel bus that took you to any of the lift stations. To get back it was the bus or better still an easy track off the piste that skied straight into hotel. The top of the Col Alto lift isn't anything to worry about as the small blue piste is a straight forward way down. It is a great area to ski for an intermediate skier to build confidence and The Sella Ronda circuit is also accessible for intermediate skiers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy