Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for those without Xenophobia...

Poster: A snowHead
(or more specifically those coming to Utah next week)

1. Lift queues.
These will only be found first thing in the morning on a couple of the base lifts. Once on the mountain, they do not exist.
When in a lift queue, or "lift line" to use the local parlance, you will find that it is organised into sections. If there is not a liftie there to call people forward, then you must alternate with the section beside you when they merge together.
Do not ski up to or over the person in front's skis. Stay behind their tails.

2. Foot rests/bars on lifts.
If there is one fitted, and you want to use it, please ask the rest of the people on the chair. (normally something like "do you mind if I bring the bar down") Many people ride the chairs without using the bar, and may be leaning forward. They really don't like being hit on the head.

3. Beer/Apres Ski.
In most bars (apart from really expensive hotels), beer will be similarly priced to the UK, i.e. around the £2.50 per pint mark. You should tip when buying, so paying $5 inc tip for a pint, still works out at under £3. You can also get pitchers of beer, which hold about 4 pints and cost the same as 3.

4. If there is major snowfall overnight.
Many people will take "powder days" off work if the conditions are good. Also, there are no friends on powder days, so don't expect me to wait around too much at the base...

5. Language barriers.
The instructors speak ENGLISH (or a very close relation to it) as their first language, as do most staff in the resort. Some words you may want to remember:
Restroom = toilet
Line = queue
Check = bill
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Queues. After my initial shock at the lack of manners in Europe, I decided to throw myself, wholesale, into the whole barging and queue jumping scene. I'm now quite good and am therefore saddened that the only mountain skill in which I excell will not be on display for our cousins to marvel at.

2. Footrests. Even in Europe I shout "Watch yer 'ead!" which seems to suffice. I presume such a warning will be acceptable.

3. Ale. Do you tip even if you're stood at the bar? I tip waiters, but didn't know that the delivery of suds a mere 8/12" warranted extra payment. Also, is it true that the beer in Utah is slightly less alcaholic than shandy?

4. Powder. I don't want friends as they'll just laugh or curse my pathetic attempts to ski it. If I'm not at the evening meal then please advise the patrol to follow the brown staining down the slopes 'till they locate my corpse.

5. Language. Even in England we don't all speak the same English. My forays onto Epic also show that these people have expresions I am not aware of. I am looking forward to immersing myself in the local culture and hope they don't mind me leckin' abaht like a reet wassock = gaper.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
6. Beer. If you've never visited Utah, USA, you will never know how hard it is to find a decent drink. For those outside of the United States, this state will seem to be exceptionally bizarre.

For those of you who live within the US, but outside of Utah, it will be slightly less confusing. If all you want to drink is watery beer then Utah's got you covered. If you want a mixed drink, or if you like good beer, then you must be a member of a private club (or in real world vernacular, a bar). Failing that, you must be the guest of a bar member.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A279731
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, I guess you've been there a lot. rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nah, don't remind me WTFH, stopped off for a weekend in between 2 work trips on the worst snow record for years, warm and no freshies Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill,
Quote:

1. Queues. After my initial shock at the lack of manners in Europe, I decided to throw myself, wholesale, into the whole barging and queue jumping scene. I'm now quite good and am therefore saddened that the only mountain skill in which I excell will not be on display for our cousins to marvel at.

Heh heh heh, this is one technique I've mastered as well. Trust me, when you're my size, no-one TRIES to get past you, as they've got no bloody chance Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

2. Foot rests/bars on lifts.
If there is one fitted, and you want to use it, please ask the rest of the people on the chair. (normally something like "do you mind if I bring the bar down") Many people ride the chairs without using the bar, and may be leaning forward. They really don't like being hit on the head.

Interesting: I've seen them stop the lift in Europe because someone hasn't pulled down the safety bar: they got shouted at lots! And I always thought the US was more safety-conscious than Europe. Hey ho.

Ant
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, ah, you miss the wrinkles.

You don't need to be a member if you are drinking (and eating) in restaurant.

Nor if you are drinking in a brewpub - of which there are quite a few in Utah. Quite a few. Clearly, being brewed in UT means the beer loses it's demonic side effects and your soul will float upwards unlike those who are drinking guinness whose soul will follow the bubbles downwards, etc.

You can't get beer stronger than 3.7% anywhere in UT but the local "real" ales are very hoppy to compensate - some are really quite nice. That said, Budweiser (the A-B version) at 3.7% is just slightly less tasty than water. You probably get p*ssed quicker on water too.

Also, you can join any "club" by paying the appropriate fee (typically when I was there of $5 a night or $10 a week). I understand a member can sign up to something like 10 people in - so if you're pub crawling it just takes a little co-ordination.

I think the rationale on the whole think is somewhere along the lines that if you're stupid enough to buy into "Intelligent Design", than a few arcane rules will prevent alcoholism.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, What if you want the bar down and they don't? I get vertigo (and the attendant symptom of wanting to jump off things), I MUST close the bar - I couldn't even go up a lift without one! Shocked Does this mean that I can never ski Utah???
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never had a problem with closing the bars on chairs at north american resorts - although I've manily skiied canada and only done tahoe in the states. No-ones' ever objected after I've threatened to hold onto them when I fall off wink Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, most people are happy to let you bring the bar down, it's just that some people will jump on the lift, and pull the bar down without considering the others, and it can lead to sore heads and arms.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
.....there are no friends on powder days.....

No friends eh? So it's okay to get up half an hour earlier than your roomie & 'borrow' his fatties whilst he's still sleeping wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, linds doesn't have fatties... (but she will have new skis when she arrives in the 'bird!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski,

Last time I was there some lifts didn't even have bars....!!!!!!
latest report
easiski, I get exactly the same thing. Maybe I am a soul-clone of Scott Schmidt? When I skied Utah, for all of 4 days, the bar was down each and every time. Will report back in a month on current situation...
snow report
Sounds a bit daft to me. If a kid falls off, who's liable?
snow report
I don't think that there's a any reason why 3.7% beer shouldn't taste decent. Budweiser could be 37% and it would still taste of nothing.
ski holidays
richmond, can you not taste the difference between, say, a strongly mixed vodka soda and a weakly mixed vodka soda? If you can, how would a strong beer and a weak beer be any different? Low % beers simply taste watery/weak/unsatisfying, not to mention the fact that weak beer = need to drink more = need to pee more Sad
ski holidays
ponder wrote:
richmond,Low % beers simply taste watery/weak/unsatisfying

I disagree with that statetment. I personally don;t like the curent trend towards "new improved increased strength" lagers - I used to love heinekin when it was a mere 3.2%, then it went away and came back at 5% and it's bloody awful, tastes like stella.

I don;t drink beer to just get leathered, I actually like to drink beer and get just a slight buzz - it used to be that four or five pints of heinekin would be great, but not any more Sad
snow conditions
nbt, Nail on head. That's my theory re 'binge drinking' The beers to strong
snow conditions
Ice cold Bud with a bar b on a hot day -delish.
snow conditions
ponder wrote:
= need to drink more

If you have a NEED to drink more, then you have a problem with alcohol.
snow conditions
ponder, I think that you're drinking the wrong beers.

1. Weaker beers may taste different, but not necessarily worse.

2. The difference in alcohol content between a strong and weak vodka and soda (soda?) is much greater than between a 3.7% and, say, a 4.5% beer.

3. With mixed spirits, and vodka and soda (soda?) especially, the alcohol itself is a major component of the flavour, less so with beer.

4. The strength of a bottle of spirits is fixed, so reducing the alcohol content of a mixed drink dilutes the flavour. Beer is brewed to its final strength, so to some extent the flavour can be controlled independently of the alcohol content.

5. I try to avoid getting pissed when I drink (old age) so a beer I can drink more of without getting pissed is an attraction.

Try, for example, Fullers Chiswick Bitter (thin on the ground in Utah, I suspect); 3.5% and a very good pint. Fullers london Pride, the benchmark for decent beer, is 4.1%. I'm not keen on the 4.5+% beers, maybe one or two every now and then.

If you just want to get pissed, I'd stick to vodka and soda, or just vodka. Have you tried Bacardi Breezers?
ski holidays
richmond, London Pride? the benchmark for good beer? Nice, but hardly a benchmark !!!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, to each their own. For large scale production, it's my fave. Your preference?
latest report
 brian
brian
ponder, there's alot more to a tasty pint than alcohol strength.

This is only 3.8% but mmmmmm

http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk/ipa_home.html
snow report
PG, what about if an adult falls off? They're more expensive than kids.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond wrote:
PG, what about if an adult falls off? They're more expensive than kids.
Kind of assumed that an adult would/should have the nous to ask that the bar be lowered, while for an unaccompanied child it's not quite the same situation.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 24-01-06 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
richmond, Fuller's ESB actually.
ski holidays
We're putting on a batch of home-brewed ESB this weekend. I should justify that I don't find London Pride travels up north very well. my all-time favourite though is a Marston's brew called Merry Monk, but you don't find it very often.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, you're obviously in the ponder high alcohol camp. Quite apart from the consequences of drinking too much 5.5% beer, I prefer the taste of Pride.

What's this about home brew ESB?
latest report
richmond, I only drink it by the half-pint. Hubby has a recipe book for homebrew, you have to buy all the ingredients hops, malt etc, none of your wussy kits. he hasn't made any for a while, but the tennagers are keen to learn the tricks of the trade. The ESB was most successful, along with a batch of Chimay.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
PG, what about if an adult falls off?

Bigger mogul, that's all. Laughing
snow report
Helen Beaumont, sounds facinating. Does it taste like the original? What's the book? Do Fullers know?
ski holidays
richmond, yes it does, it's called How to brew beers like those you buy.
snow conditions
Good name, really, when you think about it. Thanks.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

You can also get pitchers of beer, which hold about 4 pints and cost the same as 3.

Quote:

Ice cold Bud

Thats me sorted what about you lot Laughing
Quote:

Powder. I don't want friends as they'll just laugh or curse my pathetic attempts to ski it. If I'm not at the evening meal then please advise the patrol to follow the brown staining down the slopes 'till they locate my corpse.

My remains may be found in the same vacinity as Mark's rolling eyes
Quote:

she will have new skis when she arrives in the 'bird!

Bright orange Shocked and delivered to my room Shocked as only UPS can do Laughing
latest report
You can't beat a decent pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord, which I suspect has never appeared in Utah Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy