Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Europ for April snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I'm new here, so please be gentle!

We're off to Colorado in 2 weeks and 5 days (not that I'm counting), but I've also booked off 10 in April for a last-ditch attempt at seeing some snow.

The dates available are 8-18th April, and there's only two of us going, but I have no idea where the best place is to find half decent snow at that time of year.

Does anyone have any experience of skiing/snowboardig at this time of year? Presumably it needs to be somewhere high up, but where??

We'd like to book in the next couple of days if possible, so any help would be much appreciated Smile

Many thanks

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norbert666,

We've had excellent snow here in La Clusaz for the last few years in April.
Last year in particular we had three big dumps after the 15th of April, and they closed the lifts on April the 30th with loads of snow and excellent skiing to be had! There just wasn't the people around to justify keeping them open.
Don't be put off by the fact thet the town is at 1100m. The skiing goes up to 2,400m and nearly all the slopes are north/west facing so don't get blasted by the April sun.

They also hold a very prestigious freestyle competition in La Clusaz - which just goes to show how good the snow is in April. Laughing

www.gravite.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Norbert666, welcome to snowheads, historical snow records will give you a good idea of what resorts have good levels of snow in April. If yu go to our website www.tracksvacations.com you'll find the Ski club's snow records for La Rosiere, we always go out there in the last week of April and have never been disapointed yet. We also might tempt you to stay with us at Chalet Le Mouflon (see our ad in snowShops), we still have space for w/c 9th April.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Val d'Isere/Tignes in April three times and there is plenty of high-up skiing to be had there at that time. You need to be high. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton,Lech (Arlberg) is great in April Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norbert666,

Nobody knows where the snow is going to fall next week never mind this April. Accomodation shouldn't be a problem in April. If I was you I'd keep an eye on the snow conditions of a few select resorts and actually book nearer the time (e.g. March 06 for April 06) but don't leave flights too late though (i.e. less than 5 days before) as prices tend to skyrocket. Higher resorts with minimal southfacing slopes tend to fair better in April.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with stanton .. St Anton has a v good snow record late in the season and Austria is defintely the place to go for good snow this season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Norbert666

Flights aren't super cheap at the moment - but you can still pick up a return flight from gatwick to geneva for £72.98 (inc tax) return if you fly Tuesday 11th and return Tuesday 18th with easyjet. It depends on your nerve and how much you want to go skiing to see how late you leave the booking!

Have fun wherever you end up - gravité

La Clusaz, France - www.gravite.co.uk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Norbert666, Welcome! I think you should seriously consider Les Deux Alpes. It normally snows buckets in April and we have a very good record for late skiing. We're always open until the end of April, and I skied down on 8th May last year. We also have a glacier (open for summer skiing), so in the worst event, you'd still be able to ski. The onlly problem would be that its school holidays then, but if you contacted snowHead Paul McK, you might get a great deal on an apartment! Also, very quick transfers from Grenoble, and you can even get the bus if you get the flight time right. Very Happy Very Happy PM me if you want any more details.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Could you email me further details please? (I don't know how to PM): jderbyshire (at) blueyonder.co.uk

So from the numerous replies (thanks everyone), the suggestions are:

- St Anton
- La Clusaz
- La Rosiere
- Val d-Isere/Tignes
- Les Deux Alpes

Thanks again, and please keep the recommendations coming as we really want to get something sorted in the next couple of days.

James
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Norbert666, Norbert666, to send a PM, click on the Send/Read massages link at the top of the page(just below the SnowHeads logo). Then click the new post button, add Easiski to the username box, a subject, then add your message, and click submit. Easypeasy. To read the reply it will say '1 new message' instead of Send/Read messages. You can also tick boxes in your profile to have a notification by e-mail.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Norbert666, Have noticed in recent years that sometimes March can get quite warm, however in April in the UK we get showers traditionally. I think it is the same in the Alps and the weather can be very changeable - sometimes the best ski-ing of the season can be had at these times.

In recent years with a daughter at school we have often gone ski-ing departing on the last weekend in March and usually the ski-ing has been fine.

Therefore for safety I would aim for a high resort as suggested by others in the thread. Stick to resorts with ski-ing at and above 1800 metres, that means most of the resorts in Tarentaise i.e Val d'Isere, Les Arcs etc. and also as mentioned LDA and Alpe d'Huez.

In fact most of the reasonably high resorts in France, Switzerland and Italy will be fine in April. Blush
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norbert666, A warm welcome to snowHeads snowHead . I must suggest adding Val Thorens to your list - it's the place I've selected to give me a long season. April last year was wonderful, with excellent snow and plenty of sunshine. As someone who tends to ski early season, I was most impressed by the conditions. I really don't think you would be disappointed here - fingers crossed! All being well, the whole of the three valleys will still be available to you - but if conditions are not so good, VT offers plenty of good skiing from 2300m to 3230 m.

Unlike some of the other posters here (no criticism intended or implied), I have absolutely no financial interest in encouraging you to come here Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs might be a good choice for you. Great range of skiing, with a huge domain (it's linked up with La Plagne), easy access to other resorts such as Tignes, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere, etc, if you want to sample a few different places, and easy access by road, rail or plane.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair, you'll notice I haven't mentioned Serre Chevalier at all. wink
snow report
Alastair wrote:
Unlike some of the other posters here (no criticism intended or implied), I have absolutely no financial interest in encouraging you to come here Very Happy .

And for the avoidance of doubt, my apartment in Les Arcs is not available for the dates that James has in mind so I have no financial interest in whether he visits Les Arcs or not. My advice is simply based on what I think is a great resort to visit...
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Laughing Laughing Laughing .
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, as I said before you posted - no criticism intended or implied. I would concur with your opinion of Les Arcs as a great place to visit.
latest report
Alastair wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, as I said before you posted - no criticism intended or implied.

Of course, and I didn't see your comment as criticism. However, as I have, in theory at least, a financial interest in directing people to visit Les Arcs I try to avoid any confusion about why I'm recommending a visit to the resort.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, good on you Very Happy .
snow report
They are all great places.
snow conditions
Norbert666, PM and email sent

BTW everyone - I'm full that week so now financial interest either!!!
ski holidays
We've now decided and booked 7 days in St Anton. 8-15 April. Can't wait.

Colorado in 2 weeks. St Anton in 9 weeks. Can't wait Very Happy

Thank you for all your kind help. Very pleasant forum this Smile

Thanks again.

James
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy