Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over New Years - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi...hoping you can help with this yrs travel plans!

I am reading my way through the Austrian related threads and wanted to check if I am heading in the right direction...

Family of 4..I am rubbish skier so need greens and blues....Husband is great and I will try and find a guide for him. It will be the kids 3rd week of skiing.

We have loved Sainte Foy for the last 2 yrs but I fancied trying Austria.....so am looking for a smallish resort with easy access to the lifts and slopes as I tend to not ski every day so like to be able to easily pick up the kids etc.

Looking at Saalbach, Kuhtai and Alpbach.....

Do you think they would suit us...and would you have any other recommendations....please

Thanks in advance!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No experience of Alpbach. Saalbach village isn't big, but the ski area is - there should be enough to suit you.

Never been to Kuhtai. Jnr went with school though, he really liked it. Most of the others on his trip couldn't ski and managed fine. It's high too, so should be fine early season - but so should Saalbach.

i have to say there are lots of areas in Austria that would suit, those in Skiwelt and those in Ski Amade should be looked at too.

One thing to be aware of. Austria generally doesn't have runs classified as green runs. Anything at that level is graded blue, so don't be put off not seeing any green runs listed on a resorts website.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

don't be put off not seeing any green runs listed on a resorts website.

But don't assume all Austrian blues are "easy" either - get resort-specific advice (from other nervous skiers, not black run heroes) if you are nervous and want a range of genuinely easy options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But don't assume all Austrian blues are "easy" either - get resort-specific advice (from other nervous skiers, not black run heroes) if you are nervous and want a range of genuinely easy options.

True story. People familiar with the resort will also have an idea of when runs are easier or more difficult depending on conditions and timing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CeliaCo, there are so many places its hard to be specific. Everywhere you and the others suggest should be fine. Another one to consider is Obergurgl/Hochgurgl which certainly matches your easy access/smallish requirements. Its not much more than a collection of hotels though so if you're looking for lots of non snow related things to do on your days off without having to travel then maybe not? On the other hand if you want to spend them luxuriating in nice hotels then definitely! If your husband wants a guide does that mean off piste? If so another plus. Finally, just in case we have another early season of nail biting (non)conditions its about as high as you can go in Austria.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Quite. "Blue" just covers a wider range of difficulties.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

True story. People familiar with the resort will also have an idea of when runs are easier or more difficult depending on conditions and timing.

Agree, I would reckon there will be very few, if any, resorts that don't indulge in a bit of creative rating to suit the needs of the marketing pitch. Both up and down grading as required and then the ubiquitous blue "home' run regardless if the terrain allows it. I think the lack of green ratings in Austria probably adds to the variance with people skiing a blue that is little beyond flat then encountering another even in the same resort that is getting distinctly purple? Maybe only in the more litigious countries is there any pressure for these to be accurate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CeliaCo, Serfaus. The most kid friendly resort. Plenty of runs for you and husband will find enough steeper stuff - its a pretty big area linked with Fiss and Ladis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robboj, plus you can ski one run in the morning and it's icy and difficult, then the same run in the afternoon and it's your favourite of the week. At VT in April I found that my choice of piste was nearly always based on how much sun it had got.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CeliaCo wrote:
but I fancied trying Austria.....so am looking for a smallish resort with easy access to the lifts and slopes as I tend to not ski every day so like to be able to easily pick up the kids etc.

Looking at Saalbach, Kuhtai and Alpbach.....

Alpbach is a very pretty village. In recent years a lift link to the adjacent Wildschönau valley has been added, creating the so called SkiJuwel (Ski Jewel) ski area.

Another recommendation is Westendorf, also a very pretty village.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CeliaCo, Sainte Foy is fantastic for families with kids. Went last year in March, and the kids meeting point was directly outside our chalet. Perfect.

If you want a similar resort in Austria, you will be spoilt for choice. Here is where another friend of mine takes his family:

http://www.stjakob-ski.at

As I mentioned on the other thread, Saalbach is bigger; but still has a small-village feel. Check where the kid's meeting point is, and find accommodation nearby.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gosh..everyone thank you so much

Have added Serfaus Westendorf, Ober and St Jakob to the list....

Will take on board the piste guidance comments....

As its our first time to Austria I am finding it hard to figure it all out.....so thank you!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi....wondering if anyone could give advice on Zell am See.....

I wondering if Saalbach is a bit too big for what we need...and this seems smaller and more compact..?

Does anyone have any thoughts? (Thanks!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CeliaCo, As its name suggests, Zell am See has a beautiful lake side setting. There is some very nice easy skiing up on the Schmittenhöhe above the town (see piste map). You'll see that there is also skiing available on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier in nearby Kaprun, so that provides you with guaranteed skiing in the unlikely event that the snow conditions should be poor.

The town itself has an old market square (where Xmas market is held, but if you're there for the New Year week that will have finished). However they put on plenty of events e.g "Glow-Worm" fun event for the kids and of course like all Austrian resorts there will be a fantastic display of fireworks at midnight on New Year's Eve, which should be especially good given the lakeside setting. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CeliaCo, The town of Zell is larger than Saalbach and the lifts are further apart whereas all of the main lifts in Saalbach eminate from the village centre. Of the two, Saalbach is far more compact, even though the ski area is far larger. If you are not skiing every day, you can take the free ski bus to Hinterglemm, Schönleiten or Hochalm and meet the family at the restaurants at the top of the cable cars at each station if they have gone skiing further afield.
latest report
@CeliaCo, If you're contemplating Zell am See, you'd better go soon - it's going to be connected to Saalbach and the Ski Circus in the next year or two, so may then be a bit too big for what you need wink
snow conditions
Thanks all....been away for a few days.

Still unable to decide what to do or where to go!

More reading for me...appreciate all your advice.
ski holidays
Serfaus. The most kid friendly resort. Plenty of runs for you and husband will find enough steeper stuff - its a pretty big area linked with Fiss and Ladis.

Thanks for this. Think I have decided on this as the resort. Many thanks!
snow conditions
Ditch kuhtai from the list. Was there 18 months ago with the family. Pretty bleak mountain pass with virtually nothing off the slopes to keep you entertained.
2 of the best family ski holidays I've had have been in hinterglemm and Kappl. Would and will go back to either in a heartbeat. Hinterglemm has got loads of fantastic linked skiing. Kappl is great if you are not fussed about skiing too many miles. I would think saalbach/hinterglemm would give you the best overall experience.
ski holidays
Thanks boabski....I had read that Saalbach is a bit risky snow wise over new years and that Serfaus might be more snow sure.....
latest report
I've heard loads of good things about Serfaus. Had looked at it years ago but opted to go back to Oberlech again, as it was working out similar price for same style of hotel.
snow report
Quote:

....I had read that Saalbach is a bit risky snow wise over new years

Just to set the record straight, last season was our 10th consecutive New Year in Saalbach, and we 've never had a problem - always been able to ski to our heart's content over New Year, which is the ski season's most popular week (in the world's second most visited ski resort) (hence it may now be difficult to find decent accommodation).

Normally some of the nicest skiing is just before Christmas, but last season and the one before were exceptions - the snow arrived late, but this was a problem right across the northern Alps. Saalbach actually had more skiing than many other resorts, thanks to its heavy investment in snow-making, and, when we arrived on 19th December last year, I was pleased to find that all 50 or so lifts were in operation, and all three of the pistes down to the village were open and skiable (as well as the higher pistes, allowing us to ski freely over to Hinterglemm, round the valley and over to Leogang - my cousin had been averaging 60km per day since early December). Virtually all other resorts in the region were suffering and some were bussing people into Saalbach.

When there is a problem, it's not because it hasn't been cold enough; it's invariably that an anti-cyclone has been sitting over southern Europe, causing the weather to remain generally clear and sunny with no cold, snowy fronts, and that is a situation that can occur at the beginning of the season during late November and the first half of December. When it does, you can be sure that all resorts in that part of the Alps, or even across the whole of the Alps, will be affected. It's then that resorts like Saalbach, and no doubt many others, capitalise on the freezing cold, clear nights (and many days too), by firing up the snow cannons, so that there will be enough snow on the pistes for the Christmas/New Year visitors. Since the year 2000 the lift company has spent over 432 million euros on improvements to the system, including 900 snow cannons (which now cover 90% of main pistes) and 11 reservoirs to feed them. The ongoing programme of development can be read about at http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/lift-company/skigebiet/snow-making.html
latest report
Many thanks....back to being confused again!
ski holidays
Curious that Saalbach is world's 2nd most visited resort?
snow conditions
Quote:

Curious that Saalbach is world's 2nd most visited resort?

this is an out of date list but puts the Ski Welt second and Saalbach-Hinterglemm 7th. http://www.planetski.eu/news/5068
snow report
Not that that is an important consideration. Personally I'd prefer somewhere which isn't crammed with other visitors. Though that seems a forlorn hope, at New Year.
snow report
And who wants to come second in a list that puts La Plagne first? wink
snow conditions
)@under a new name, and @pam w, Here is the link to the up to date "2016 International Report on Snow & Mountain Tourism": http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2016-vanat.pdf

In the 2015 report Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang went from 7th place to 2nd, which it has retained this year. Don't know what impact the new link to Fieberbrunn will have next year.

I only mentioned this in order to reinforce my point that it may now be difficult to find decent accommodation for New Year week - we find that it's usually the first week to be booked, sometimes a year ahead.

@pam w, You may well have a point about being second to La Plagne Confused (although I think your comment may be an example of what psychologists call adaptive preference formation NehNeh (Sorry, ever since the Brexit vote I've been interesting myself in the process by which opinions are formed, and now I keep seeing cognitive biases and cognitive dissonance everywhere I look - I need the ski season to start before I drive myself mad!)

You also have a point about finding somewhere that isn't crammed, although, as you imply just about everywhere will be at peak levels for New Year (and a curious thing about human beings is that they actively seek crowds when there is something to celebrate - no one wants a half-empty bar - I'm tempted to add "in somewhere like "Les Saisies"", but I'd better not wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Les Saisies will be absolutely rammed. I won't go anywhere near the downhill slopes that week - the XC area will be much more peaceful. Yes, if you want to party, New Year is a good time to choose, but you can party anywhere - if you want optimum ski conditions it's one of the worst weeks to choose. Expensive, busy, and often the snow is much better a bit later.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy