Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trouble with the tunnel? Alternative routes?

Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, Thanks - i think i'll call them up an find out exactly the situation - i needed to pay, otherwise i'd not be going anywhere. Once home i should have complained at the very least highlighting the hidden 100% surcharge that i wasn't made aware off when booking. If the surcharge IS dependent upon all sorts of factors regarding day / crossing time price variations etc, when the fare is chosen / price paid i believe Euro Tunnel should then and there, lay out surcharges if late.

@pam w, I'm under the bar by a single cm and that's on full air pressure - argh, relaxing...having said that, i agree, no problems with going freight commercial, they really don't care.

@planeurge, Ferry crossing return for relaxing / eating / sleep recovery is a very good point - thank you. For small vans though previously i have considered it too expensive.

@Swissie, Agree, Euro tunnel IS SO EASY...and so easy to book / check to - lets face it, for the lazy of us, (by design) it's made to measure... Smile Whoops, i don't mean to imply all Euro Tunnel users are 'lazy' - just this one!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coming back on Monday was a little interesting, but Eurotunnel had done everything they could (it seemed) to make it as easy as possible. A16 blocked at the junction for the tunnel by trucks protesting, and a very long queue at the first junction on the A16 as french police are taking everone off the motorway there to check vehicles and letting them back on at the same junction.
We started in Holland, through Belgium on motorway. Came off a couple of junctions before the border and onto small roads. Border crossing indicated by a hedge with a house and french flag on one side of the road and a pillbox on the other. Continued on small roads (mostly the D2), picking up the signposted diversion route. This ended at the roundabout at the Cite d'Europe, just west of the A16-Tunnel link flyover. Here was the only mistake - Eurotunnel signs pointing in all three directions ont he roundabout! Into the "Welcome Area" aka holding pen with a portaloo, but straight through it, joining the queue for check in 5 mins before our check-in time. Went very, very slowly through check-in, French Border until the UK border which was operating at 50% capacity (4 lanes of 8 open). Once through there, straight onto the next train - an hour after our booked train. So despite a 2 mile queue at the belgian border and a closed A16, we arrived at the tunnel on time, to be delayed for an hour by a grossly understaffed UK border.

On the way out last week we learned something from the Eurotunnel info desk lady - if you arrive early, you won't automatically get offered an earlier train at the automatic check-in barrier. You can, however ignore the message signs and drive through the terminal car park towards the train. They have capacity on trains, the person at the car park exit will let you through and into the lanes where you will get put on the next train with capacity to take you (which may be your original booking and you now can't get back to the terminal building, or could be a train that leaves in 10 minutes).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've been more than 2 hours late before in heavy snow and not had a surcharge of any description.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
On the way out last week we learned something from the Eurotunnel info desk lady - if you arrive early, you won't automatically get offered an earlier train at the automatic check-in barrier. You can, however ignore the message signs and drive through the terminal car park towards the train. They have capacity on trains, the person at the car park exit will let you through and into the lanes where you will get put on the next train with capacity to take you (which may be your original booking and you now can't get back to the terminal building, or could be a train that leaves in 10 minutes).

Just to clarify this, you get your hanger with the letter on it but you don't wait for the call but just drive straight through? Then the person in the booth gives you a lane number? Don't these guys turn you back? Might have to try at some point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne Yes, exactly that. The lady at the info desk in the terminal building told us to do that.
There is a person stood at the exit of the terminal car park, who has the option of letting you continue to get your lane number at the booth, or sending you back round to the car park entry. We were allowed to continue and would have got an earlier train had we not stopped and asked at the info desk Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our favourite crossing is Portsmouth to Caen as it is an easier drive in the UK for us, the ferry journey is enjoyable and it is less stressful than going through Calais or Dover. We tend to use this route for summer trips going out overnight and back by day. The Portsmouth Le Havre overnight is even better as although it is "Economie", the crossing is longer so you get a bit more sleep.

Despite the above we have booked Eurotunnel flexi plus again for skiing as we booked our accommodation through Peak Retreats who offer the flexi plus at a reduced rate (I would not pay the Eurotunnel direct price for it). The reason we stick to this for winter journeys is that it is the quickest route overall and we usually have more of a time pressure if the kids have done a full day at school on the Friday and we want to get to the resort asap on Saturday. We also particularly like the "flexi" part which means that if the snow conditions are epic, or we decide to stop and visit friends in France, we can extend the holiday without needing to change the ticket. It also makes the journey even quicker as you can bypass some of the queuing at the terminals.

I am hoping that by the time the next ski holiday comes around the current problems in Calais will have eased. If they haven't I would possibly avoid driving along that stretch of motorway after dark (even though we did drive through at 10pm without any problems this year).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Just to clarify this, you get your hanger with the letter on it but you don't wait for the call but just drive straight through? Then the person in the booth gives you a lane number? Don't these guys turn you back? Might have to try at some point.

They will still turn you back if there isn't room, and you will still get on the train you're booked on, but I think they're trying to make sure the trains all depart full.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-09-16 14:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

They will still turn you back if there isn't room,

Very much so - BH weekend they were strictly enforcing the letters on hanger, stopping and checking anyone without a hanger and sending anyone back with the wrong letter. Can understand this.

However I think they are flexible when they can be and will let you through if it's generally quiet
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

We've been more than 2 hours late before in heavy snow and not had a surcharge of any description.

Hmm. Definitely have to speak to their customer services. Perhaps in your case, Euro Tunnel was aware of this major/widespread travel disruption due to their weather - just a guess.

Thanks anyway. It needs clarification - it felt like highway robbery, £80 extra just for 20 mins over the permitted ( and 'understandable' - their words ) 2 hours! Evil or Very Mad 'Sir, you are late and it's another day!'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Definitely have to speak to their customer services.

Yes, I would. You can use your booked crossing within 24 hours. There's always a possibility of a surcharge but given the timing, and the quietness of the train, that does seem very steep. Worth a go.

I rarely travel on my booked train. Usually earlier, occasionally later, but the surcharge is usually minimal, sometimes nil.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got charged £106 surcharge last year to go on a 2am train instead of a 4am train, despite the earlier train being empty. I paid it as I didn't fancy hanging around for a couple of hours with the kids in the car.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doddsie wrote:
I got charged £106 surcharge last year to go on a 2am train instead of a 4am train, despite the earlier train being empty. I paid it as I didn't fancy hanging around for a couple of hours with the kids in the car.

That's ridiculous. I wouldn't have paid it and suffered the two hours on principle.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@doddsie,
Quote:

Beyond ridiculous, beyond reason - just, just flabbergasted. TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, I always book a later train than I actually plan to use and have only ever been charged once for an earlier crossing, have never tried risking a later train than booked, was charged 15 euros to cross at 1pm instead of the 8pm booking this February.

+1 with @Layne, I would not pay out of principle and have spent a couple of hours in the terminal!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not paying out of principle is ok, but when you've got a 3 & 4 year old in the car who've just woken up because we've stopped, getting moving again so they go back to sleep is a priority.
snow report
I have only ever encountered a machine that doesn't give me any options. How do you find someone to negotiate with?
ski holidays
@planeurge, there's an intercom. And some of the booths are still manned.
latest report
We've never been charged extra. Up to 2012 we used the tunnel at February HT travelling out late Friday. There were always delays, sometimes chaos, so we rarely got on the booked time. Once or twice we've missed the check-in time but weren't charged. When returning, if we've been early we've sometimes got an earlier train without extra charge. I've always wondered how the flexi ticket system works i.e. if a lot of flexi ticket passengers turn up at once then do those with timed bookings get pushed back?
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
Not paying out of principle is ok, but when you've got a 3 & 4 year old in the car who've just woken up because we've stopped, getting moving again so they go back to sleep is a priority.

They only sleep when the car is moving? Do you have their bed on a roller at home?
ski holidays
@Layne, one of mine did the same. Terrible sleeper at home, out like a light in the car. We have been known to take him out for a drive at bedtime.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Layne, one of mine did the same. Terrible sleeper at home, out like a light in the car. We have been known to take him out for a drive at bedtime.

Sure, I understand some kids find the motion comforting. But surely you expect to have some stop time when you get to the tunnel terminal. Even when you get through to your lane you have to wait. Hence I wouldn't pay £106 to get a bump. But obviously I understand traveling with little ones can be stressful and £106 might seem worth it at the time!
ski holidays
@Layne, I wouldn't have paid it either. In darkness at 2am, doubtful if mine would have woken, and we could have taken turns at heading into terminal for loos etc.
snow report
It would still be 2hrs of my life wasted, which would be better spent getting home and allowing 2 hrs of extra sleep for me. At xmas I was 10 mins late for my check-in time, because it took so long to check my 5 pets in. They offered me the next available slot which was 7hrs later, I got on the intercom and had an argument with them saying it was their fault for being so slow at the pet check-in, so someone came out and met me and gave me a ticket for the next available train. So in the future I will always try to upgrade over the intercom before paying an extra charge.
snow report
always worth an argument if they seem to be being unreasonable.
snow report
It seems to take much longer to check pets in on the tunnel rather than the ferries. We had to take our dog into a special building in Calais but on the ferry we just get passed the chip scanner and check in as usual.
latest report
@pam w, Called Eurotunnel up. If arriving/checking in after 2 hours post departure time without prior contact with Eurotunnel, then you will be charged another ticket price. According to their representative, 'ALWAYS' contact them.

Granted many folk here travel with 'Flexiplus' tickets etc. Also, granted, the above statement doesn't cover everybody's particular traveling situation. Please everyone just remember this...

'ALWAYS' contact them and don't assume unless you actually know, which i didn't...

Embarassed of course, i actually had it in my mind the train was 22:50, but it was actually 22:20 and thus turning up at 00:40, i didn't have 10 minutes to spare, but infact i was 20 minutes late after the 2hrs grace period and oh man was i not happy camper! Evil or Very Mad Of course, if you make a little error, they have to 'stick it to you' - if i ran their business, i might see it differently though...
snow report
Last year, at HT, Friday evening, we arrived around 8pm at Eurotunnel for the 9.06 train. There were delays in the tunnel and we ended up crossing about an hour late.
I'm wondering whether I should risk booking a slightly earlier crossing this year, as delays are pretty likely, or is it too much of a risk if there are jams on the M25 and we miss our time if there aren't any delays.

BTW when we used the tunnel HT in 2014, it was the night of the hurricane. The Eurotunnel terminal was deserted and we were waved straight through onto the next train.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy