Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow sure Ski Options from Milan 31-Dec to 7-Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. So here's the thing. I'm Irish guy (married to a Malaysian), like skiing but live in Malaysia! Visiting Europe with family for Xmas. Family going back. I'm staying on for 1 week's skiing - solo. Going back to Malaysia via Milan Italy.

Looking for snow sure resort from Milan. Heard good things about Breuil Cervinia but really anywhere with 2-3-4 hours of Milan. I'm an intermediate skier - OK on reds - will try black after a day or two.

Any recommendations? I want as much certainty as possible about snow (haha!) since I'm coming a long way.

Side note: Solo accommodation expensive (very!). Looking to bunk in with few people for that week and share costs. Apartment or Chalet. Self catered (I'll cater myself or take turn cooking - what suits). Anyone out there interested.

Any advice/experience gratefully received.

Mick.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia probably your best bet but look at La Thuile & Pila too - both pretty good snow records. La Thuile much bigger that Pila but (in my opinion) nicer pistes in Pila and it's cheaper

Try Valtourneche for cheaper accommodation just outside Cervinia
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MickC, As you've already mentioned it, I think Cervinia would be a good choice for you. It has plenty of reds which should suit you, especially the long Ventina run (Red 7 on the piste map) down to the resort. Here's a YouTube video someone posted (if their choice of background music gets on your wick after a while you can always turn down the sound Laughing) :
http://youtube.com/v/Lr-ptLjJAmo

The other thing about Cervinia is that you can ski over the border down to Zermatt in Switzerland for a day visit. However, if you do this be sure you check the forecast and pick a good weather day as if it gets windy the return lift connections can sometimes close and getting stranded in Zermatt could be very inconvenient (and expensive Laughing )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I find Cervinia a bit dull.

I'd look to Monterosa.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could consider Livigno. I think there is a direct transfer service from Malpensa to Livigno that runs twice a day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Running two threads is counterproductive...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix.
Saas Fee.
Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MickC, got to reccomend Cervinia. Snow sure with the glacier up top which provides skiing even in the summer. Lovely range of reds and varied terrain. Ski over to Zermatt on the same lift pass, but maybe best buy your lunch on the cheaper Italian side. Cervinia's a low-key village with great food, friendly (in a low-key way) locals, and variety of accomodation. Can't wait to ski there in early December. Hope you have a great ski wherever you choose.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would second the Monterosa recommendation. Pila (lots of snow making) links directly to Aosta by cable so is good for non skiers, but limited in terrain vasriability and extent, although is well treed for those stormy January days unlike Cervinia or La Thuile. Monterosa is high but has some limited tree lined pistes, but the best variety of runs IMHO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
New Year (Capodanno) weekend will be very busy in all Italian resorts, probably the busiest period of the season as Christmas (Natale) is out of the way and it's still holiday time, plus Italians love to do things together and at the same time, though they will all probably disappear by Tuesday and you'll have the place to yourself again! Cool

Your only saving grace will be if there's been no snow or really bad weather forecast, as most Italians will only trek up to the mountains if there's good snow AND it's sunny...but I guess those conditions won't be much fun for you either!! Sad

Cervinia is pretty snow-sure due to its altitude, lovely sunny bowl with sweeping reds & blues and nice lunch-spots, with more challenge (and better views of the Matterhorn) on the Zermatt side...you must get an International pass if the weather looks like it will allow you take advantage...be prepared for eye-watering prices on the Swiss side though. I used to go across to Italy for lunch whenever I could when I went to Zermatt.

Montgenevre & Claviere, resorts either side of the Franco-Italian border are high up on a pass and fairly snow-sure. They link in to the Milky Way area, though the snow-bearing cloud doesn't always make it beyond the pass to Sauze d'Oulx & Sestriere.

I love the Dolomites for their unique spectacular scenery and extensive ski facilities, they are certainly doable by car from Milan in 4 hrs as it's fast motorways up to the entrances of the western valleys like Val Gardena or Val di Fassa. Resorts you should consider are Selva, Santa Cristina, Canazei, Alba & Campitello for easy access to the best skiing. Natural snow is sometimes an issue, but this area has extensive snowmaking and was one of the few places that was almost completely open last Xmas/New Year during the snow drought across the Alps. snowHead

If cost of accommodation is an issue and you have a hire car and don't mind commuting, resorts further south in Val di Fassa like Pozza, Moena, Vigo, Soraga are significantly cheaper, but still have good road access to the various lift bases along the valley.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy