Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is France cheaper than Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently planning our Ski trip for 4th March and we fancied visiting Austria for a change.We have previously been to Chamonix,Tignes and Les Arc.I have always heard that Austria is cheaper than France but it seems a lot more expensive for accommodation,Ski hire,flights etc.When we visited France we have booked everything separately and it has worked out about £600pp for everything.It's usually just a small 1 bed apartment that sleeps 3/4 but it does the job for us.When i get there i eat and drink what i want and usually spend about £500/600 for the week so it's not a lot really.We only want to visit the big Ski resorts so have been looking at places like Mayerhofen,St Anton etc.We can't find anything close to the price we can get for the big resorts in France.The fact that it's 1 or 2 euro cheaper for a beer won't make it cheaper overall.

Am i looking in the wrong places?If not then why do people say it's cheaper to visit Austria?I know it's going to be more expensive this year but France still seems to be way cheaper.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like for like, no it isn't. Cheap small apartments are more plentiful in France. The Austrian experience is more delightful family-run pensions and guest houses. There are apartments of course, but generally fewer, not necessarily purpose-built, and often larger. Prices vary hugely between resorts in Austria, you'll pay top dollar in the likes of Lech, St Anton, Ischgl and find far more budget options in Ski Amadé, Hochkönig, SkiWelt, Saalbach, etc.

Look for flights to Salzburg or Innsbruck, or further afield, Munich, Klagenfurt, Memmingen. Plenty of choice and most of the budget airlines have winter routes. Transfers can be really good value, €50 return to Ski Amadé from Salzburg for example.

On the whole, restaurants and bars are cheaper and supermarkets are comparable. The welcome is generally considerably warmer too! wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 15-08-16 18:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get the impression that ski hire is expensive in some Austrian resorts, but not all. Lift passes much the same as France. Food and drink on the mountain cheaper in Austria (and Italy) but much less choice of self catering accommodation, especially ski in/out. That was the reason I switched to France years ago, as hotel eating is expensive. If you like hotels, which I don't, there's probably more choice in Austria. French families seem to traditionally favour fairly basic apartments to keep costs down. And take grandparents for child minding, judging by my observations.

These days there are plenty of newer apartments which have pools and are generally more luxurious. And expensive....

Which country is cheaper probably depends on the sort of holiday you like. I suspect there's not much in it, at the end of the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FullyTucked, I think it does depend on when and where exactly you go. Generally, with regard to the big resorts, I've found that eating and drinking in town and on the mountain is cheaper in Austria than France but ski hire, accommodation and lifts passes are dearer.

BUT! It is possible to easily blow your daily budget on food and drink in the big Austrian resorts (wine prices in an Austrian restaurant means a sharp intake of breath even at the cheap end). I think pound for pound s/c accommodation in Austria is of a higher standard than France with more room and better equipped than the equivent priced apartment in France.

That said it is possible to eat and drink reasonably cheaply in the French resorts and peeps will be along shortly to support that view.

I'm off to Cham this year but I'd recommend giving Austria a go if you've not done it yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want a warm, friendly welcome? It's worth paying a bit more and go to Austria.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As @halfhand suggests if you are a wine drinker, France is cheaper. But for beer, it's the other way round.

As for the welcome, there are more or less welcoming establishments in most places. My single most disagreeable experience was in an Austrian hotel but there are rude Frenchmen too. French customers set a lot of store in the "acceuil" in restaurants and hotels. As a glance at Trip Advisor will illustrate. With one glaring exception, where the proprietor seems to think his excellent (and excellent value) food means he can be as rude as he likes to guests, I find people round my way in France very pleasant and friendly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looking at a DIY St anton trip in late jan, will there be reasonably priced apartments for 10ish people, or will it be a better bet to go for 2/3 - 4 people apartments? always managed to get a basic but reasonably priced in france, however our love of beer and variety has led to austria being the destination of choice for this coming season!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A quick search on t'internet for 4th March to Saalbach:
Ryanair Stansted-Salzburg £124 return (plus fees)
Holiday Shuttle Salzburg-Saalbach private VIP taxi for 4, €170 each way, so £75 return p.p.
4 person apartment €800, so less than £180 each p.p.
Hansi's ski rental VIP level €164, so £140, less any discount you can negotiate.
Lift ticket (valid from 15.00 on Saturday if you buy a 6-day ticket commencing Sunday) €250.

Food on mountain (main + drink) €10-€15 at any of the 70 mountain huts.
Evening food in the village: From €8 in Bobby's to €30 in a hotel restaurant, and plenty of places in between.
Apres Beer: €3.50 - €5, with lots of places doing Happy Hour deals.

So that's a financial overview, but only half of the story. Skiing in Austria is not the same as skiing in France - the atmosphere is different, the slopes are different, the apres is different, the accommodation options are different. Note the word 'different' - some folks swear by France and others prefer Austria. For anyone like the OP who has not tried Austria before, at least give it a go and then decide which you prefer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
If you want a warm, friendly welcome? It's worth paying a bit more and go to Austria.

Skied in Iscgl and Alpbach, so not a huge sample. Friendly welcome is on par with France (Tignes, les Menuires, Morzine, St Foy, Meribel, Chamonix, Morillion, Samoens). One word (bonjour) always get me a friendly smile and service - every single time. I do not get what is wrong with Fr hospitality?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick search of www.igluski.com shows that France is around £100 GBP cheaper than Austria for like-for-like trips at the low end. e.g.: B&B hotel including flights and transfers.

As others have said, France is known for tiny studio/1 bed apartments. Plus flights to Geneva are alway pretty cheap.

But give Austria a go I say! I visit Saalbach every year, and always have a great time. Fly to Munich if you want cheaper flights, and stay along the main road and catch the ski bus to save money.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the slopes are different

I'm interested in this comment. There is certainly a difference between, say, Alpbach slopes and St Anton slopes, or between Les Saisies slopes and Tignes slopes. etc etc etc. I couldn't come up with one single meaningful generalisation about "French slopes" though. Is there really a difference between French slopes and Austrian slopes?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mooney058;-Skied (Tignes, les Menuires, Morzine, St Foy, Meribel, Chamonix, Morillion, Samoens) Tignes, purpose built rude shop assistants. Les Menures, One of the WORST sights ever to despoil an alpine view, poor relation to St Martin de Bellville. St Foy ok for a weekend, no more. Meribel, Middle of the 3 valleys so good location and absolutely dependent on the UK market so accepting of them. Chamonix, working valley town with extremely spread out and separate ski areas. Hard core but still the French think it there's alone. Can't speak for the last two.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I accept I am in danger of generalising, but there is a difference in climate, terrain and elevation. In Salzburgerland the resorts are typically at around 1000m, with the main skiing between 1500m and 2000m, so most of the skiing is below the tree line on alpine meadows. By contrast, Tignes (one of the OP's resorts) sits at about 2000m and the skiing goes up to 3456m, well above the tree-line, and the arctic tundra terrain makes for different slopes to those in somewhere like Saalbach.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In Salzburgerland the resorts are typically at around 1000m, with the main skiing between 1500m and 2000m, so most of the skiing is below the tree line on alpine meadows.

In my area there are 185 kms of linked slopes between 1100 - 2000m, on alpine meadows, mostly below the tree line. Of course Saalbach is different from Tignes - so are Les Houches, Les Gets and Combloux, to name just a random handful. Only a small minority of French slopes are on anything approaching "arctic tundra" terrain.

High slopes are different from low slopes. Steep slopes from gentle slopes. But a generic French/Austria difference? Not convinced.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
mooney058;-Skied (Tignes, les Menuires, Morzine, St Foy, Meribel, Chamonix, Morillion, Samoens) Tignes, purpose built rude shop assistants. Les Menures, One of the WORST sights ever to despoil an alpine view, poor relation to St Martin de Bellville. St Foy ok for a weekend, no more. Meribel, Middle of the 3 valleys so good location and absolutely dependent on the UK market so accepting of them. Chamonix, working valley town with extremely spread out and separate ski areas. Hard core but still the French think it there's alone. Can't speak for the last two.

Admittedly my French is much better than my German, but never encountered rude shop assisstant in FR if you say hi/good afternoon which is normal in France. Bonjour and a smile always works! On the other hand I saw on quite a few occassions visitors behaving not in a best possible manner in front of shop assisstants. English might be the universal language, but it is beyond me why would some assume that it should be understood and used by everyone in a non-native EN speaking country. As per one owner in Morzine to whom I chatted, EN youth is one of the worst behaving "species".
Les Menuires buildings are not pretty, agree. But very good skiing. On St Foy could not disagree more - will be visiting it for the 4th time this coming February - best place ever snowHead Tignes is briliant too, if I had to choose between say Ischgl and Tignes, there is no comparison between the two in what it can offer for a week of skiing imo
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the slopes are different

I'm interested in this comment. There is certainly a difference between, say, Alpbach slopes and St Anton slopes, or between Les Saisies slopes and Tignes slopes. etc etc etc. I couldn't come up with one single meaningful generalisation about "French slopes" though. Is there really a difference between French slopes and Austrian slopes?

Nope!

Way more differences within countries than between countries.

Cheaper? Certainly food and drink is cheaper in Austria. IME even in St Anton/Ischgl. Accommodation I really don't know much about, but I suspect there are way more 1 person rabbit hutches in the purpose built French resorts, and that's probably the single biggest money saver if you're prepared to slum it a bit.
ski holidays
@mooney058, Yep, St. Foy is amazing. On paper it seems thin - just a few lifts and not many runs. But it practice, the runs start really high and are wide, fun and not busy. Plus there are no queues for the lifts. And if you have kids, it's great, because all the runs end at the same spot in the valley.

But if there snow was NG it might be a bit sparse; and some folks who never want to ski the same run twice would be unhappy.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the slopes are different

It's been a few years since I skied in either Austria or France. But back then, I would have said that, in general the Austrian slopes were better groomed, and more clearly marked, than in France. Restaurants on the slopes were far better in Austria. OTOH, French lift systems were much better than in Austria. But things may well have moved on.
latest report
I've only skied in Austria once in St Anton. At thé time I found the Prices similar to here in Les Deux Alpes which is quite reasonable for France. So I guess comoaring à top price Austrian resort with à mid price french one. I went at February half term and found an apartment at a very reasobla price. There are plenty on the stantonamalberg website or try Sidney Reilly.
snow report
It's times like this I miss Samerberg Sue Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

In Salzburgerland the resorts are typically at around 1000m, with the main skiing between 1500m and 2000m, so most of the skiing is below the tree line on alpine meadows.

In my area there are 185 kms of linked slopes between 1100 - 2000m, on alpine meadows, mostly below the tree line. Of course Saalbach is different from Tignes - so are Les Houches, Les Gets and Combloux, to name just a random handful. Only a small minority of French slopes are on anything approaching "arctic tundra" terrain.

High slopes are different from low slopes. Steep slopes from gentle slopes. But a generic French/Austria difference? Not convinced.

I don't think there is anything you can find in one which absolutely can't be found in the other.

But a far higher proportion of Austrian slopes are on meadows at relatively low altitude with a correspondingly lower proportion above the tree line. This also tends to mean there is more "gnarly" stuff in France, and more easy stuff in Austria, though there are plenty of exceptions to both.

And most of this seems to apply more strongly when you start comparing the mega-resorts in each country.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I don't think there is anything you can find in one which absolutely can't be found in the other.

But a far higher proportion of Austrian slopes are on meadows at relatively low altitude with a correspondingly lower proportion above the tree line. This also tends to mean there is more "gnarly" stuff in France, and more easy stuff in Austria, though there are plenty of exceptions to both.

And most of this seems to apply more strongly when you start comparing the mega-resorts in each country.

Not sure I agree with that tbh. There are plenty of French resorts with lots of treeskiing/lower altitude skiing. Portes du Soleil, Serre Chevalier, Vars/Risoul etc. Equally there are plenty of Austrian resorts with almost everything above tree line - the glaciers, Obergurgl, Ischgl, Obertauern, Kuhtai, etc.

I get that you're talking about proportion, and I think France probably does have a slightly higher proportion of alpine terrain, but not "far higher." I think you're thinking too much about the big name resorts in both, and ignoring the many many small resorts (and probably thinking more about eastern Austria than Tirol/Vorarlberg too).
ski holidays
All this discussion is lovely, but if you want to save a few quid Italy is your place. Plus you get to witness some of the worst queuing in the history of the sport, by which I do not mean the length of the lines, I mean the general attitude to forming an orderly line and not climbing over each other to get on a lift.

I have been to St Anton, and was told when I whinged about £150 for ski hire for a week (for basic gear) that it was "not really Austria" so now we are trying Mayrhofen. If that "isn't really Austria" too then I give up on that. The reason for exploring Austria has been the lack of affordable and quality places in France outside the megaresorts which we have all done to death over the last few years.
ski holidays
@Digger the dinosaur if you want an affordable but quality resort in Austria you can't go wrong with Saalbach (I've never skied Mayrhofen so can't comment there).
latest report
In my experience Austria is cheaper (comparing large, "brand name" resorts, haven't been to small less known resorts in France). You have to keep in mind that while there are dirt cheap apartments in France, they are very cramped ("23 square meters place suits 6 adults"). IN MY EXPERIENCE hotels and apartments in Austria are larger and of much better quality. We've been to Avoriaz a few years ago and rented a very nice apartment but it was a 4* place that was comparable with non rated places in Austria. So one thing to remember is that when comparing accommodation prices budget places in Austria compare favorable with 3 and even 4* places in France. Also, if you rent a car or self drive it is very easy to take an apartment in a smaller village in the valley (like in the Ziller valley you don't really have to stay in Mayrhofen) and that's even cheaper. Restaurant food is also cheaper, on and off the mountain (a goulash soup that works very well at lunch time is 3.5 - 5 euros even on the mountain, spareribs that come in enormous portions and cost 10-15 euros etc).
ski holidays
I spent 6 weeks in Austria last season, skiing Salzburgerland. Many of the resorts on the Super Salzburgerland Skicard felt really quite similar. eg - Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Saalbach, Bad Gastein, Flachau-Wagrain et al are almost uniformly valley at 800-1000m, skiing up to 2000m. Skiing along the south side of the valley (ie north facing). High speed covered lifts. Wide pistes usually of uniform pitch back down to the base again.

eg - see the line along this valley: https://goo.gl/maps/iPJdbjcUQn22 - it probably continues on to Schladming tbh but I didn't make it that far

But of course there are exceptions to this - Bad Gastein actually I suppose was little bit steeper than 'average', Zell am Zillertal and Hochkrimml were quite different feeling, Kitzsteinhorn is a glacier, Obertauern and Zauchensee different again, and over the pass Katchsberg et al were nothing like it.

I get the impression that further west in Tyrol there's more variety and perhaps it's closer to 'French' style resorts? But this is conjecture based skiing Obergurgl and Solden once, and driving from eastern Switzerland through the Arlberg tunnel and onto the Zillertal valley - the terrain seemed to change the further east we went.

I've not skied as extensively in France - only Portes du Soleil, Grand Massif, Val Tho and Serre Chevalier. I would half-heartedly argue that they're more distinct from each other? But I'm not sure on what basis to be honest. The vibe. But then they probably cover a greater distance than the Austrian resorts I've mentioned above.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 16-08-16 15:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

if you rent a car or self drive it is very easy to take an apartment in a smaller village in the valley

I suspect this is true wherever you go - slopeside accommodation is going to be more expensive but for the kind of family group I usually ski with, is pretty essential. Folks come and go throughout the day, swapping child care, or dropping in for a "free lunch and glass of beer on the terrace" or whatever. For two adults who always ski together, a valley base could work very well.

Quote:

the lack of affordable and quality places in France outside the megaresorts

Puzzled how hard have you looked? There must be literally hundreds, depending on your criteria.

And even one of the "smaller, less well known" ski areas in France - like the Espace Diamant - has more piste skiing than Kitzbuhel and is possibly better linked. Kitz is more glitzy, obviously; you see very few designer labels or fur coats in Notre Dame de Bellecombe. wink If shopping is an essential part of your ski holiday experience you'd be happier in Kitzbuhel - or in Megeve, just down the road from N D de B. Far from being "arctic tundra" some of the skiing in the Espace Diamant is too low to be snowsure in a poor winter. But then the same is true of Kitzbuhel, isn't it?

France, like Austria, has a couple of glaciers. But most of the skiing - even in the areas with glaciers - is much lower. It's good to have some higher altitude areas (which the Espace Diamant lacks) but few ski areas have everything.

Austria wins over France for some people because of the nature of the "apray" in some of the well known resorts where lots of visitors go. I suspect that is one unique quality of Austria (and maybe to a lesser extent of the Austrian bits of Italy). But it's not everybody's cup of tea.

For eating, I don't think you can beat Italy. Coffees and hot chocolates are super bargains but the prices are a bit higher than they sound in Austria. If you can really get a goulasch soup for 3 or 4 euros in Austria it could easily cost twice that in Italy, and a simple pasta dish around 8 - 9 euros, I think. "Dish of the day" and a glass of of wine would cost you 15 euros, more in the better restaurants, in Les Saisies. Certainly more expensive than Austria though not more expensive than London, perhaps!
snow report
If you don't mind a basement apartment Austria might have a couple of deals.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Norrin Radd, I really think we've done that one to death....... Skullie
snow report
@pam w, Sorry Pam. I agree.

I would say people would have their own natural affinity.
snow report
@FullyTucked, Like for like yes! So say St Anton compared to Chamonix staying in a pension/self cater apartment. Austria will be cheaper over the week, approx 100 saved on lift pass, and 10-30 a day on food and drink depending how you go.

Comparing a 4* hotel in Austria in peak week to a French self catered apartment in Jan you will get a difference.
snow report
@FullyTucked, If you're after a "cheap" holiday prices tend to be better in Italy, but again are based on what/where/when factors.

I used to be 100% Francophile, skied there as often as I could (3V, EK, L2A, Cham Vallee, Serre Che, Flaine/Les C, plus lots more) but I've not skied there since 2009 Vd'Isere, pound-Euro parity, despite some world class skiing and world class resorts, not to mention great food and wines. Previously I used to poo-poo Austria, but would often ski in the Aosta Valley in Italy.

Funnily enough since 2009 I've only skied in Austria or the Aosta Valley, not because of any fantastic difference in prices (please remember "cheaper" frequently means "cheap"), but because I've had some really great skiing holidays and found the local fare to be just as wonderful. And the fact that there is plenty of world class skiing and several world class ski resorts in Austria where there are no French! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

only skied in Austria or the Aosta Valley,

not tried the Italian Dolomites? Best of both worlds, perhaps.
ski holidays
The easiest and most concise answer to the OP
Quote:

Is France cheaper than Austria?

Is that it all depends on how much you want to spend!
ski holidays
@skimastaaah,
Quote:

(please remember "cheaper" frequently means "cheap")

I would say the lift infrastructure in Austria is far superior to France, the Average accommodation in Austria is far superior to France. Cheap may mean cheaper in some places but not the Austrian Alps. Their main target market Zee Germans don't like spending Money .
snow report
@pam w, Years ago skied at Cortina d'Ampezzo, lovely town, fractured ski areas, sublime scenery, swish!! Also Trentino, Folgarida, Marilleva, Folgaria, Tonale (yikes).

The sud-Tyrol, perhaps perfect for the OP. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Fattes13 wrote:
@skimastaaah,
Quote:

(please remember "cheaper" frequently means "cheap")

I would say the lift infrastructure in Austria is far superior to France, .

Hmm some examples please.

IMHO the opposite is true but enlightenment is always possible.
latest report
The lift infrastructure in France (like so much else including, I suspect, Austrian lifts) is not susceptible to neat generalisations. Some is excellent, some is antiquated, with tricky, long, steep, draglifts and some yawningly slow chairs. But some of those places have great, different, uncrowded, non-homogenised, skiing for those who can cope with steep drags or chairs without heating. All depends what you want.
ski holidays
I read somewhere, that almost all the lift companies in France are owned and run by the state. Meribel is, or was, a notable exception. But this could be different now — anybody have any info?

I know that in a good few Austrian resorts, the lift companies are owned by the local farmers and villages. Thus, they plow most of the ski pass income back into building new lifts and replacing old ones etc. Saalbach is a case in point, and as a result, has an ultra-modern lift system.
latest report
Quote:

IMHO the opposite is true but enlightenment is always possible.

Austria's favourite modern installation currently is the 8 or sometime 6 man heated chair. Typically energy neutral, or thereabouts.
And not always on a cold, bleak, high throughput lift to access different areas.

Was actually surprised by a post the other day about Italy getting its first ever heated 8. Although Sella Ronda seems to like gondolas quite a lot instead.

But ignore any generalisations. Certainly by country. Probably by resort too.

edit: and on my most common ski day in Austria, the day will typically start with gondola (one of 2 parallel ones, that's just had another refurb this year), heated 8, heated 8, the first heated 8 again, heated 6, then off on a link where there's a relatively shonky lift in comparison. All 3 main Zillertal bottom stations have had big refurbishments in the last couple of years. 2 for the last season for starters.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy