Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Criminals operating on French Motorways

Poster: A snowHead
An Irish couple have been arrested after police launched a manhunt to catch a gang that preys on British and other foreign tourists on French motorways by passing themselves off as stranded holidaymakers....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/14/irish-couple-arrested-targeting-tourists-in-french-motorway-scam/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"the fact that they spoke in English made them seem more convincing" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Round my way there is a protection racket called AREA who are posing as an autoroute operator extorting money off people but can't even managed to get the 30kph lanes working on a major transit weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
"the fact that they spoke in English made them seem more convincing" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Are the rolling eyes Emoji for the old couple?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just when the Irish were beginning to shake the negative image!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anyone - whatever their age - who assumes that somebody speaking English is more trustworthy than furriners is frankly, a bit daft. And it's patronising to think that old people are too daft to be expected to use their wits.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Anyone - whatever their age - who assumes that somebody speaking English is more trustworthy than furriners is frankly, a bit daft. And it's patronising to think that old people are too daft to be expected to use their wits.

Couldn't agree more and I add that anyone who read a story of people getting robbed under threat of violence would react by rolling their eyes at the victims innocuous comments would be somewhat lacking in the empathy department.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

And perhaps you would need to ask the French Policeman (who was quoted) why the level of trust was increased by then speaking English... rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We once met with some criminals on the French Autoroute.... Forced us off the road at gun point and demanded 90€ from us...... they had some sob story too about a christmas party to fund Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@marcellus, I met one of those too. He even kept my passport and forced me to drive to a cash point.

And yes, @davidhammy, anyone who thinks you can judge people's likely moral standards by whether they speak english is a twit, French policeman or not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="pam w"]@marcellus, I met one of those too. He even kept my passport and forced me to drive to a cash point.

And yes, @davidhammy, anyone who thinks you can judge people's likely moral standards by whether they speak english is a twit, French policeman or not.[/quote

It's pretty clear you read it as the old couple making reference to them being trustworthy because they spoke English. Some poor sods got robbed and you rolled your eyes because you thought they made a comment that was actually made by the police who attended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, actually I made no reference to the old folks. You jumped to that conclusion.....I wonder why?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
No, actually I made no reference to the old folks. You jumped to that conclusion.....I wonder why?

On the balance of probabilities - Furriners is a term linked to a perceived "little Britain" mentality and you used it to describe the robbery victims, believing it was they and not a French Policeman who had been quoted.

I have no dog in the fight but the linguistic efforts people will go to deny they were wrong is always an interesting exercise.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, top marks for wriggling, @davidhammy. What, precisely, prompted your initial question (which I studiously declined to answer). On balance of probabilities I'd say it was jumping to your patronizing conclusions. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would leave it to the better natured amongst us to judge who is exactly is wriggling and this is my last comment.

I am willing to gamble you read the quote as having come from the couple (old) and not from a (French) policeman, otherwise your use of 'Furriner' would be nonsensical.

I commiserate with people who have suffered misfortune, especially those who were the victims of a menacing robbery but you are free to react as you please of course, eye rolling and all.
latest report
I was approached by an "Irishman" a couple of weeks ago driving through France on the way back to Switz, his excuse was that his car had been burgled (he did have a smashed window) and all his money and passport had been stolen and he needed money to get back to Paris to the Consulate. The problem is what happens when someone truly needs help, sorry world we live in sometimes Sad
ski holidays
@Swissie, sounds a plausible story.
snow report
All his money and his passport? I wouldn't have believed a word. (whereabouts in Ireland was he from? "Irishman" makes me think you were suspicious!)
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, No it was definitely a scam, when some police drew up on their bikes he was off like a rocket, plus it was the weirdest Irish accent Ive ever heard.
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, Absolutely!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It didn't say more "trustworthy", it said "more convincing".

Which given they were posing as stranded tourists makes a lot of sense.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy