Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc'Teryx Sidewinder SV AR, Stingray or dainese aspen

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Havent been skiing for a while and probably wont be going for sometime after, but were off to Davos in a few weeks.....

My old ski jacket, well it fits a 13 year old......So im in the market for a new one...

Because i dont intend to be skiing often, i was ideally looking for a jacket that could be worn back home in the uk!

I think i have narrowed it down to the Arc'Teryx Sidewinder SV AR, Arc'Teryx Stingray or dainese aspen.

I was tempted by the Spyder Leader but have been told these are a little "All the gear no idea chav jackets!"

Can any of you guys recommend which of the suggested jackets would be best suited for use at home and in Davos.....or make a suggestion, budget is 250-380£.

Also thinking of the North Face FreeThinker.........prefer if the jacket was fitted/slim fitting!

Anything 'in' this year? Colours - Thinking of Red or grey.......oh im so superficial!

Many Thanks for the advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
friend of mine has the sidewinder 'pain in the bum' is the response to the offset zip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flicksta, I would disagree with your friends off-set zip comment - it really prevents skin chaffing. My minor bug bear is about the hood - it's not stowable and flaps around a bit when not in 'head' use. I had to adapt mine with some double sided velcro.

lukey, Welcome to snowHeads Very Happy snowHead One thing to remember about the Sidewinder SV Jacket, is that it is a shell and very stiff - you can certainly wear it back home for outdoor activities, etc, I wouldn't imagine that it will be very comfortable for casual wear.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Sidewinder SV jacket which I like a lot:

1. the offset zip is very comfortable
2. although its got lots of technical features it feels very simple/clean to wear (no faff, not too many popper/straps/pockets getting the way
3. athletic fit
4. very light
5. the hood is brilliant to wear (really does move with your head) unless you are using a helmet - too small. For this reason it is not a dual purpose ski and serious mountaineering jacket although it would be a good mountain walkingjacket. I don't find the hood to flappy when it is down but it doesn't stow away
6. I do wear it casually (walks in the park, dropping into starbucks at the weekend) and like it - mine is very dark grey and with its close fit and light weight I find it comfortable and nicely understated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent, thanks for the reply....

Has anyone experience with the Stingray jacket yet, i heard its new for this season so not sure if many of you have?

Or the Dainese Aspen
or northface freethinker?

Another question too, HiJacking my own post....Can anyone recommend a decent jacket with built in fleece....

So many questions!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
looks like 2-1 to the sidewinder zip after all, my friend found it interfered with the strap of her helmet and did get some chaffing (just not on the chin), but these two chaps get on with it fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Sidewinder AR, and I like it. I've never used the hood, so it has stayed stored in the collar. The zip works for me, and means no chaffing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flicksta, I wear a helmet as well & no problems! Very Happy Chin up! Toofy Grin Wear The Fox Hat, So the AR has a stowable hood? The SV hasn't - it's not a major problem, but if strong wind conditions exist, it seems from the slight noise that there is a 'Darksider' constantly behind me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got a freethinker from santa recently and it's great - pretty slim fitting, pockets everywhere and huge pit zips. Kept me bone dry in the pouring rain but then you'd be rather miffed if it didn't. Doesn't have a stowable hood though and the red is really quite bright. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it's perhaps not a subtle jacket for wearing around town...

S.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster, Agree on all fronts, however constant wearing in town afeter a few pints ruined the zip, got a replacement f.o.c. Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
resurrecting this thread, has anyone use a Stingray jacket this year? Seems to get v good reviews, and appears 99.99999% waterproof.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i just bought a sidewinder and gave it a go last week.

I understand the hood has been redesigned this year to be more helmet friendly. it easily fit over my giro and was the only hood i have ever had that didnt blow off the helmet when going fast nor did it interfere with sight line.

had two days in pouring rain and didnt get wet, very long slim fit which suits me perfect. the offset zipper is great IMO, doesnt chafe and really stops and wind/water from getting in.

only slight beef is one of the inner pockets is just too small to be of any use other than perhaps some cash or credit cards. oh and it costs a fortune

delighted with it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is the sidewinder the *very* thin jacket? Think I tried it on a few days ago, and thought it too thin to offer any warmth???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, it's a shell, so it has no padding. You need to wear layer(s) under it. As an update, I can get the hood of mine over my helmet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, with only a merino wool mid layer on underneath i was surprisingly warm. I too thought it wouldnt be good enough but it seems to be soo wind proof you stay warm...
snow report
ok, so it is the same one I'm thinking about, what kinda layers are needed underneath, say for

1. a chilly -15 on the glacier with wind blowing
2. a lovely spring day, 0-3 degrees, sun and a bit of cloud

with my current jacket

1. Would be wicking T shirt, and then two thin layers, with maybe a fleece gillet in the bag for backup
2. Would be just the wicking T shirt, and maybe one thin layer

regards,

Greg
latest report
kitenski, springy i had on a wicking t shirt and a merino 260 mid layer and was occasionally to hot , never felt cold. Only had one -10 day with 50 -70 k winds and was fine with same on. normally for high winds i put on a thin sleeveless fleece as well but the new goretex pro shell seemed to stop all the wind.
snow report
kitenski, I feel the cold considerably and I have a sidewinder jacket and it keeps me warm! The key is in the layers.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
kitenski, I feel the cold considerably and I have a sidewinder jacket and it keeps me warm! The key is in the layers.

thanks, what kind of layers do you have underneath?
latest report
Dainese jackets are nice. I've got a Valdez XCR from a few seasons ago. Nice slim fit and tough as old boots.
Also just bought a Marmot Glenmore Proshell. Haven't had it long but it seems tougher than the other Proshells I looked at (with reinforcement panels on shoulders and arms) and has a nicer inside liner. Feels less like wearing a crisp packet than some of the others. EB had them in the sales for £230
latest report
kitenski,

I wouldn't say I am immune to the cold but I can wear my packilte to -15 and a pretty stiff wind easily enough.
Underneath I'll had a microfleece base (always ) and a polartec 200 fleece if I think it'll be cold. In the pack goes an Icebreaker if I get it totally wrong..which I have never worn in 3 seasons now. For most days down to about -10, I replaced the Polartec 200 mid with a Velocity jacket which is almost useless for warmth without a shell layer ...but then it comes into its own... Puzzled

This set-up makes me able to regulate my temps very well... side zips are crucial but you'll only over-power this set-up through walking/skinning, never skiing, IME..

I don't like the off-set zip, personally and I'd look at a jacket with a fleecy upper zip collar...although my mids have high collars anyway.

The paklite is very light....Laughing

I'd look for a dedicated climbing jacket from MH, ME, Marmot, Mamutt, Arcteryx etc... Pro shell is nice

BernardC, I never have a problem with my hood which will take climbing helmet...I can just batten it down with the drawstrings so it sits high around the back of my neck... and as you know, I'll wear a full fleece hat which is a full fit on the head..!!!
snow report
JT wrote:

I'd look for a dedicated climbing jacket from MH, ME, Marmot, Mamutt, Arcteryx etc... Pro shell is nice

Agreed, I looked at all those above (Proshell models) and chose the Marmot Glenmore. It seemed tougher than all the others and had the most comfortable inner skin.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy