Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer stuff in Samoens and Briancon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are heading out to Samoens area (Sixt) for a week from 13th Aug and then onto Briancon (Vallouise) for a fortnight. We are quite active - climbing / via ferrata / road and mountain biking.

Question for those in the know: are there any 'must do' things that we may not be aware of, or quirky places to see and do?.

Also are there any flatish cycle routes that may be suitable for taking children on road bikes on? We usually spend the summer near Bourg and the cycle path by the river is brilliant.

Cheers

Steve,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silver mine in Argentiere-La-Bessé, Briancon old town, Lac Serre Poncon and Embrun, Brasserie Alphand.
Can't help on the cycle routes though, as we don't stay up in Vallouise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, Brilliant thanks. Will add to out list. Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Samoens the walk along the river to Sixt is lovely. Up past Sixt is a higher/harder walk to the end of the world. It's a beautiful steep sided and dead ended valley and that's really what it's called.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Valkyrie, thanks - will try both parts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gorges de Tines, awesome, plenty of wter sports, Via Ferrata, Climbing and gerneral pissing about.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/LajfgHD-16g
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ringingmaster, are you on Strava per chance?

If you are you then you could see all the routes I've done these past seven or so weeks both cycling and hiking in the Briancon area ?

This was yesterday, where they had an "open day" for one of the Maginot forts atop the Gondrans at Montgenevre - fascinating.

https://www.strava.com/activities/667908516 and movie of the ride https://www.relive.cc/view/667908516

And there are so many forts to explore !!!!!

Loads to do rafting, kayaking, climbing and Via Ferrata - in front of me is the Roche du Bez Via Ferrata(s) as well as the Adventure Park which is probably a must do as an active family.

Where you're going Vallouise / Ailefroide is in another valley up from us, but with a car you can explore. Nevache is a long flatish valley that will be ideal for cycling and if the family is up for it you can climb all the way up and it's not too bad an ascent, or just go as far as you want.

And look at a map and check out the "back road" that you can take from Vallouise to here rather than going to Argentiere. You turn off at Les Vigneaux (D4) and take the road to Prelles and rejoin the main road. There is also a Via Ferrata off the road further down.

Have to say that electric mountain bikes are now becoming really popular!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CH2O, I am loving the swing lines. I think we will be rigging that up !!! Happy

@Weathercam, Yes - On Strava - And I can see your routes. Thanks. The Nevache looks like just the sort of thing that will make a good day with the children. Thanks for taking the time. Happy

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Several good Via Ferratas on your doorstep, I was looking down on Vallouise from one in Les Vigneaux just last week!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ringingmaster, If so be careful of all the rafters and canyoneers, the guides are super fun though
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The dead end is actually the Fer a Cheval Smile and really is worth seeing - waterfalls, ice cave, wildlife, amazing scenery. Walk up one side and come back the other. About 8 mins up the road from Sixt Village by car. Not a bad cycle journey either although it is a continuous shallow climb. Cascade Rouget is worth a trip. About 5 mins further on is the starting point for any number of fabulous walking trails. You can also take the chair up from salving (turn right at Sixt village) for the views and more trails.

Cycle routes for road bikes are not too plentiful if you want to avoid the roads. Once you have got down from Sixt past the Gorge de Tines (with or without swings) then you can avoid the long straight road into samoens by turning right in Vallons d'en haut and taking the back road in throughout the hamlet - ancient working farms, fountains etc. Make sure you see the Jaysinia Garden in Samoens and take the kids to Lac Bleu in Morrillon for swimming and a mega adventure park in the trees.
Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, Perhaps see you on the Via's - there looks to be loads in the area. La Voie du Colombier is on our hit list Happy

@CH2O, We will be careful.

@ian999, Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we will have plenty to do. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last time we spent a week in Samoens was over 10 years ago but, even then (before the via ferrata had been installed), there was plenty to do (climbing, white water swimming, rafting etc). Samoens is flat-ish so cycling shouldn't be a problem and there are some hills (Col de Joux Plane, anyone) if you want - actually there's some nice walks on the ridges around there too.

If you are happy to do a day out, and want something cultural, I have always liked the Fondation Gianadda gallery/museum in Martigny (I've recommended it on here before) - it includes art, a car museum, sculpture garden etc. Martigny has Roman remains in the town (eg under a block of flats, in a children's playground) as well as an amphitheatre. We made a long day of it by going to Emosson and hiking to the "Traces des dinosaurs" marked on the IGN map (they're not very big) in the morning and then the afternoon at the museum and dinner in Martigny before driving back.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Yellow Pyranha, thanks. Will try and visit the museum on Thursday .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy