Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Place to look for winter work?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got a friend whose daughter wants to get a job working in the Alps this coming winter. She has done cooking course and is prepping her CV. I know natives is/was a good place to look but any advice on best strategy for her in job hunting?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where she wants to be - there are plenty of jobs being advertised on "Morzine crew - talk to me" Facebook group at the minute. Sure there's similar for other resorts?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dashed wrote:
Depends where she wants to be - there are plenty of jobs being advertised on "Morzine crew - talk to me" Facebook group at the minute. Sure there's similar for other resorts?

Not sure is the answer, she is not a skier (wants to learn) so anywhere is the real answer but potentially she might be better off working with a travel agency as its her 1st real job, rather than going on her own. She is preparing her Cv and is goign to start mailing it out to all the TO's over the next week or so, might be a tad early for them but shes keen so you can't discourage that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, Definitely not too early to send CV out - most will be recruiting already. Both of my kids did seasons with Ski Famille and they had great times - worth giving them a try.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RUGBY PETER wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Definitely not too early to send CV out - most will be recruiting already. Both of my kids did seasons with Ski Famille and they had great times - worth giving them a try.

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiWorld is a good company to start out with working in the alps.

Their web site has lots of useful info. http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment

N.B. However as a first timer your daughter would not be able to choose her ski resort with any guarantee of getting her preferred one. But all Skiworld are in good skiing areas so who cares.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This may be a bit late for general vacancies. Most TO's start their recruitment process 'in house' towards the end of the winter season by trying to retain their existing staff, for the next season. They then start the recruitment process proper in May. A lot of vacancies will already have been filled. She needs to be able to stand out from the crowd at this late stage. You mention she has done a cookery course? Then make sure that is prominent on any CV's she sends. Do it ASAP, it is late now. She should be able to demonstrate any additional skills applicable to working in a ski resort, IE Doe's she speak French, German, Italian? A definite advantage. Any relevant experience in house keeping, waiting on, service work etc, will all be helpful.
Try Natines, Seasonaireweb.com, Ski Jobs.com, Swan Recruitment. Use the net as your search engine for all things ski related
good Luck
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TQA, Thanks, have passed info on, not my dauther, friends but still valuable advice thanks

@Old Man Of Lech, Again have forwarded your words to friend. Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Working in the Alps sucks. It is basically slave labor. Cuts skitime.

Get a 10k loan and a couple credit cards and just bumout for 5 months.

Far more fun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold-Presumably you then wouldn't pay back the 'loan' either or pay off the credit cards?
Far too much of this attitude around today.
Anything worth having is worth working for.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Working in the Alps sucks. It is basically slave labor...........

I think that is her parents hope. Cushion lifestyle, lovely girl but she needs to see the reality of work...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might be worth mentioning, that if you work for a small business in the Alps, it's harder work but but you are less likely to be cooperate cannon fodder. There's a lot of young folk who end up going/being sent home after xmas and new year because they don't fit the mould. If you get employed by a smaller business they need you as much as you need them..........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:

Agreed. I did a few holidays with the same company, found out how they treated their staff and sent them a shitty letter, saying their staff were wonderful and should be treated better.

Now none of the staff speak to me so I can only guess they took the complaint out on them.

It actually annoyed me properly a bit. I was paying a grand a week, never even saw the boss the staff couldn't have been more helpful; yet it seemed they were really taking the proverbial.

My advice... work a cruise ship for 6 months then spend your 2 month break in the alps*. You'll still get much of the slave labour, but you won't have to pay tax and when the 2 months come around you can ski all day, every day.

(* source - I did this last year and it was brilliant)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I run www.seasonnaireweb.com and we have a lot of stuff up looking for people at the moment (thanks to @Old Man Of Lech, for the mention). Recruitment starts almost as soon as the season ends so the sooner the better for applying.

Quote:

Get a 10k loan and a couple credit cards and just bumout for 5 months.

Having done 3 seasons working in the Alps I'll respectfully disagree with this! I loved working in the Alps and although the money is bad I was lucky enough to work for a good company with good managers. It's bad if you feel you've been lied to but I always knew what was expected of me and what I'd get paid for it. I skied between 5 and 6 hours 6 days a week so not sure I needed much more hill time.

I also didn't come back with a £10k debt which was nice!

Quote:

Now none of the staff speak to me so I can only guess they took the complaint out on them.

Having seen similar letters I'd guess that the staff got a telling off for bad mouthing the company (whether they did or not). Generally if the management think that you're saying how poor they are as an employer then they're never going to be happy! As a staff member I always appreciated good feedback (often linked to a bonus) but would always rather just have a big € tip!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy