Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler verses sun peaks for Christmas 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Asking for views and thoughts on winter break. Looking at 2 weeks over Christmas and trying to weigh up the pros and cons.
We've skied both and know they each have their appeal.
Our thoughts revolve round a couple of elements really
First we haven't been skiing for a couple of years so will need some recovery time and possibly other things to do while we recover. Something whistler offers but think sun peaks might lack.
Snow conditions, whistler can be great and can be poor depending on weather.
Crowds neither of us are big on crowds. We don't mi d being sociable but not into crowded slopes bars etc.

Whistler
Pro
Easy toget to flight and short transfer
Lots to do if conditions poor
Lots of options on accommodation
Loads of places to eat
Mix of runs
Maybe ski club rep there so can meet others

Cons
Likely to be busy on slopes
Probably crowded in village
Lift queues
Snow conditions vary widely
Cost in resort

Sun peaks
Pro
Friendly atmosphere
Not as crowded as whistler
Snow conditions better (hopefully )
Mix of run levels

Cons
Harder to get to 2 flights plus transfer
Smaller selection of accommodation and restaurants
Less to do if conditions poor
Not sure what will be open over Christmas
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been in both places at Xmas off and on for many years, albeit usually passing through, so never for 14 days in a stretch.

My focus is snow: if the snow's good, then that's where I'd go. Broadly you're going to get drier snow in Sun Peaks, and probably better snow, although not necessarily more of it. The last three years Sun Peaks has been better early season than Whistler, so much so that I didn't bother with the latter. That said I'm in the "it's 'brutal' if there hasn't been fresh after a couple of days" crowd. If all you need is well prepared rock-free pistes then ignore all that as you're most likely to get that irrespective of where you go.

You can see what Sun Peaks "offers"; as a semi-local it's just a ski hill with accomodation. What they have (dog tours or whatever) will be well done but synthetic. The same's true for the entertainment in Whistler of course, it's just on a bigger scale. Kamloops is... well, it's the sort of place where a decent restaurant is hard to find on Xmas day (try Earl's, that's usually the best there is).

Whistler has crowded places and vomiting Brits, and may be quieter this year now those people "have their country back" and everything's more expensive for them. It does feel busy generally, and you may need to work to avoid the crowds.

You don't need "ski club rep" people as everywhere has people who will guide you around for free. Plus the locals will talk to you. There are lift queues in Whistler sometimes, so take your "off days" when the locals are up for Boxing day, and try not to do what they do (ride up at 10:00, all take lunch at the same time, all finish by 14:30 down the same run...). All you need is a tiny bit of individuality and you don't need to queue much at all.

It's harder getting to Kamloops, which is why it's quieter.... Neither's much of a hassle, but it's not quite as reliable getting into KYA as YVR. You can fly into YVR in the evening then drive or fly to YKA next day - it's a fair drive and you will see cars in the ditch over the Coquihalla. If you drive you can of course check out other hills tourists never visit. In a poor snow year you can drive from Whistler over the Duffy Lake Road up to Whistler which is quicker than going the other way. Don't underestimate the distances though.

I think I'd go stir-crazy in either location for 2 weeks, but I would pick Whistler if that was the only choice simply because there's more there. If it's a week it's less clear, and if you hit Sun Peaks at a good time it's brilliant. It's cozy and friendly, no projectile vomit crowd, no crowds, efficient lifts, quiet slopes and great snow. If you get bored, call Mike Wiegele and drag yourself up there for a day of standby heli. Or drive an hour down the road from Kamloops and visit Silver Star, or a bit further to Big White...

Everything in Canada's open over xmas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stir crazy spending 2 weeks in Whistler? Shocked Really?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks philwig for your thoughts and comments
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2016? At least you will know what the snow was like last season Blush

Not a good time to go to Whistler, mind not sure anywhere would be that much better, it will be busy. We only went once and were stunned at the lack of snow cover and terrain open (i.e. no high lifts open) compared to Easter when we normally go. It was very busy and there is a special price for everything. High season then you have the Christmas weeks extra price.

If you had to stay in one place for the 2 weeks then you would say Whistler, I would have had enough of Sun Peaks after a week. However there are loads of options to do a tour as @philwig suggests and he is a local expert. Even I know there is Big White just down the road and lots of others too. So I would agree you should aim for at least a 2 centre trip and possibly more.

Guessing you are booking now so it does make it tricky and difficult/expensive to do a DIY trip compared to a package.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rich Christmas events, I think, our family go on vacation? Very Happy Very Happy
Giant christmas trees

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 21-09-16 14:44; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig:- 'and vomiting Brits,'. ER PARDON? I've been to Whistler several times and never vomited once, though have come close listening to boorish, LOUD, drunken pr---'s of several nations. Canadians, Americans & Australians are all just as guilty of bad behavior when drinking. In fact are you sure you are not confusing Australians with Brits as almost every one I meet there ask's me if I come from Aus? I don't understand why as I have a northern (English) accent.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm from Lancashire so my accent discrimination is pretty good within the UK and mostly accurate within North America.

Other nations have boorish people too, but I probably notice Brits more, and they have been a significant source of visitors to Whistler in recent years.

To add some value, in other news:
https://www.biv.com/article/2016/8/bc-government-approves-valemount-ski-resort-master/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig:- Lancashire? Small world. Me too
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig,

Interesting. Has Oberto given up on Jumbo Glacier, then? Be interesting to see how quickly the greens start orchestrating opposition to this one, too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, Valmont looks a long way from populations and airports. Would it work
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jake43,

Conceivably you could run flights into Prince George "International" airport. - It's probably still got wicker chairs in the lounge, though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Acacia wrote:
@Jake43,

Conceivably you could run flights into Prince George "International" airport. - It's probably still got wicker chairs in the lounge, though.

Well that looks like 3 hours at least too so Kamloops is not much worse. Doubt it will get on my list
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Jumbo is still active somewhere. I'm not sure any of these would have me queuing up as an investor.

Valemont isn't going to be for the lazy end of the market. On the other hand it's an easy drive from Kamloops most of the time, and also accessible from Edmonton - that's where all the sledders come from. The Greyhound gets you there from anywhere, and for skinflints like me sleeping on the bus saves a room cost. UK people do get to Jasper quite a bit, which is just up the road. If you're in Prince George then you could bag Powder King on the way down wink

I didn't realize Prince George was "international" - when I'm bored I look forward to working out where you can get into there from which isn't Canadian. Kamloops is slightly bigger than the local bus terminal but I doubt it could take a wide-body group of passengers. From memory Kelowna is bigger and takes some international passenger stuff as they fly people in from Oz (heading for Big White/Vernon on packages?). Maybe also the UK. I've always dropped into Vancouver or Calgary and then taken local connections. As people here probably know local flights are significantly more sporting than international in winter. I have not yet worked up the enthusiasm for Powder King, but now you mention it I'm thinking maybe this year flying into Prince George and driving back via Vancouver would be amusing.

Valemont is in a great place for the snow - both CMH and Wiegele run helicopters there already. They've some good snow and pointy mountains.

---
I'm just updating prices for next season's cat/heli operations out of Whistler, which are broadly unchanged in dollars since last year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy