Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Academic Paper: Ski Slopes Are Sexist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8018/academic-paper-ski-slopes-are-sexist-pardes-seleh

"Constructing masculinized sportscapes: Skiing, gender and nature in British Columbia, Canada":

http://irs.sagepub.com/content/46/1/108.abstract
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First off, I read the actual paper. I think it's a load of rubbish, and would question the reviewers who deemed this worthy of publication. As an academic myself, seeing this sort of paper being published makes me a little angry.

I'm not convinced the person who wrote the article for the daily wire read the paper all that thoroughly though. As an example, he says that Stoddart doesn't specify how many skiers were interviewed, whereas the paper clearly states "I conducted semi-structured interviews with 45 skiers in the Vancouver-to-Whistler and Nelson regions of British Columbia (Kvale, 1996; Rubin and Rubin, 1995)."

But to me, the paper reads as a wonderful example of confirmation bias. Stoddart set out to "prove" his hypothesis about how skiing resorts are a masulinised space, and duly found evidence of what he was trying to show. Of course, the correct scientific approach is the exact opposite: you establish a hypothesis that seems a plausible explanation of the reality, and set out to *disprove* it. Failure to disprove a hypothesis indicates that it is sound.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Sokal hoax didn't achieve a great deal, then. I'm not paying to read that, but I took a squint at his thesis.
Apparently they give PhDs to people who can't write or think:
https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/24/items/1.0066436

Chapter two is titled: "Skiing Naturecultures and the Mountainous Sublime", and he uses the phrase "Mountainous Sublime" no less than 22 times in there. I can't imagine what his examiners were doing: shame on them.

I'm unclear on the origins of "Mountainous Sublime", which the Dr appears to have used more than the rest of the world put together. Google provides a first example from a lit-crit person talking about Keats (see below). I'm not sure whose quotes those are precisely, but there's no earlier google reference. There's nothing I can see which connects the Victorian view of mountains and wilderness generally with a ski resort. It reads like an attempt to embellish and perhaps gain credibility.

"Woolford, John. "Keats Among the Mountains." EIC 49.1 (January 1999): 22-43.
Focusing on Keats's encounters with a supposedly sublime and mountainous landscape (e.g. the 1818 walking tour), Woolford discovers ... shows Keats to be dedicating himself to the art of the beautiful and rejecting "the austerity of the mountainous sublime to which Wordsworth (and Milton) had been committed" (40)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They need some pink trails, pink snowguns, and pink trams.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guy has totally sold a couple of ski trips as an attempt to conduct an academic study. Of course you are going to find "evidence" of macho bs if you interview couples where the gf moans about getting left behind or Bros.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If anything is sexist its the pre-conceived notions of the author
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmm....
I'd like him to try to explain his theory to Lindsey Von, Tina Maze, Janica Kostelic, Anna Fenninger, Mikaela Shiffrin, Lara Gut etc, for example. rolling eyes

Would love to be there to see how that goes down.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhD = Piled higher and deeper in bs in this case.

I would not have accepted that as a degree level final project never mind at a higher level. A serious lack of academic rigor.

Still maybe he knew what is examiners would pass and churned out the requisite tosh while enjoying himself.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the oppressive societal notion that “Women always Clean Up the Mess.”

Damn, that memo didn't get circulated in my household. I shall inform Mrs Dogwatch forthwith that henceforth, where a dead rat needs to be disposed of, the dog has shat on the floor or a drain needs to be unblocked, that it is no longer my department.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hope no public funds got harmed in the making of that thesis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to those who cba to read and provide commentary because it sounds like a pile of shite, not worth the effort.

I'm intrigued, however, that you can list your (presumably relatively rare unless you have a rat infestation, incontinent/untrained dog, terrible plumbing etc.) cleaning duties dogwatch; who does the regular day-to-day stuff out of you and 'the wife'? wink < I am joking.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@miranda, wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I'm not sure I have the courage to even skim-read the PhD. Very long, but maybe that's a normal thing in sociology... Read the abstract. There's something relatively interesting about the clash between skiing as a way of reconnecting with nature and the environmental cost of it, though he seems to bring politics into it in a completely artificial and forced manner.

As a response to a couple of posts on this threa, it's important to remember that personal annecdotes do not provide any great evidence for the wider trends. I don't think it's unreasonable to talk of a "societal norm that "Women always clean up the mess"" for instance. Nor is the existence of a handful of female skiers enough to disprove a theory about the piste being a "masculinised space" Wink though to be fair skiing always struck me as one of the least sexist sports out there, in terms of equality of representation and visibility.

Of course, re the annecdotal evidence, the same remark could be made to the author. No great details are given as to how he chose who to interview, and as Dave points out if you choose your targets judiciously you could almost certainly prove anything you wanted. I guess as a wider point it's one of my gripes with the view of sociology (and related fields) as a science: they purport to use scientific processes to "prove" certain theories or hypotheses, with this particular author being particularly fond of the "qualitative multi-method approach", but in reality their approach never seems to me to always be scientifically flawed, as per previous post. Oh well...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
miranda wrote:

I'm intrigued, however, that you can list your (presumably relatively rare unless you have a rat infestation, incontinent/untrained dog, terrible plumbing etc.) cleaning duties dogwatch; who does the regular day-to-day stuff out of you and 'the wife'? wink < I am joking.

Regular cleaning duties in the dogwatch household don't include "cleaning up a mess". There is no reason to have a mess in the first place.

Rat infestation in the garden, oh yes. At one point the area around our chicken pen was a maze of tunnels. A load of laughs. The little beggars have no interest in bait boxes. Mrs Dogwatch is pretty good at shooting them but won't pick them up or clear away the blood. Incontinent dog, they tend to get that way when they are old. A drain that blocks on a regular basis, yep. Generally when we have house guests so they can watch me with my arm deep in filthy freezing water while they sip wine and make encouraging remarks.

At a guess, you don't live a rural life.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well it was a very silly-sounding paper that sparked this thread anyway, so not going to feel too bad about taking it way off topic...

dogwatch wrote:

At a guess, you don't live a rural life.

I do now have a very rural life and have done for 7 years, but it was my central London flat that had the rat infestations before the council finally twigged that there was an open run from the sewer system to the coal cellar Skullie Fortunately blocking it finally provided a permanent solution but prior to that I did bludgeon one with a spade in the garden and dispose of it - girl power! wink I don't envy you your situation, though - sounds grim. The local mountain cats are like highly-skilled ninjas when it comes to the voles in the meadows round here (so provide highly effective and completely free pest control)... though I have no idea whether voles would want to enter a property anyway Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy