Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weddings (& help/advice)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

we're thinking of getting married next Easter in Val Thorens, has anyone else any experience and any tips etc they could pass on please as we're finding things a bit difficult at the moment, certainly around where to do it and how to book places to eat/drink as everywhere seems to be shut!

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EoSB wedding? Could be a first @admin???

Getting married in France can be a bit tricky @mike82, but what you can do is get married in your home country, then get the church in VT to carry out the religious or symbolic ceremony...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're getting married officially at home in a quick service (but not telling people) then coming out to Val Thorens to do some sort of ceremony, fondue and a bar for the evening hopefully
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies... a quick look would indicate that you cant get married in the church in Val Thorens but would have to travel to St Martin de Belleville
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah we've seen that about the church so we're thinking of something non-religious probably on a restaurant balcony!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only been married the once, so am far from an expert on this subject Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's once more than me! I'm hoping tourist information might be able to give me a hand
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We looked into getting married in France and it's a real minefield, even though my (now) husband is French! So much red tape to go through, we abandoned the idea and got married in Hawaii instead.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But mike82's doing the paperwork and signing bit at home and having the romantic ceremony and party in France, which means no red tape at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's hoping. By my reckoning we need a venue for a sort of service which will hopefully be a restaurant, a bar for later on and someone to perform the service. Sounds do-able?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mike82, I don't know Val Thorens but we've hosted weddings and here you can easily find restaurants with lovely views to host the ceremony, food, then party - especially if you're going for a fondue meal. As it's a totally unofficial ceremony, you can also get whomever you like to do it. The local mayor does it for free here but we are a small mountain village, not a big resort like VT, so I don't know what difference that might make...

Have you spoken to the tourist office?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@miranda, much better idea!! Hopefully you can find what you want @mike82.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fondue? Easter?

BBQ seems to be a better idea to me...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like Val Thorens is pretty impossible to organise - everyone we ask including tourist info keep telling us no-one has done it before. Apart from one hotel who quoted us 20k! Has anyone else done a ski wedding and do you know any resorts more suitable?
Cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have looked into getting married myself down the valley in St Martin then realised that it's pretty impossible as you have to have lived there for a month before being entitled to do so. However, if you still fancy a "do"-check out the guys at Chez Pepe Nicholas a little down the valley. It's a charming and gorgeous spot with views across the valley to the Lac de Lou and La Masse and is accessible by ski and by car. I have a little video clip of it in winter, but find it impossible to add pics on SHs. Here's a link to their website.
http://www.chezpepenicolas.com/3-2/la-ferme/le-chalet-d-alpage/

If you are looking for somewhere else entirely-Champoluc in Italy (Aosta) comes to mind. We went there last year using Roger Walker travel/Ski2-http://www.skiweddings.com/ski-2-weddings/ a UK based outfit who also organise weddings. It's a lovely little resort with some great skiing over the whole Monterosa area and the service from Ski2 for what we did (a simple ski trip-not a wedding) was excellent. Being Italian also means the food is awesome!
snow conditions
@mike82, IME the default setting of the French is, "If it's not what we normally do, we don't do it." However there are French people more capable/willing to adapt to clients' requirements and think more creatively. As ever though, anything can be done if you're willing to pay enough for it so the tricky bit is to understand how to take advantage of what's already in operation, to keep costs reasonable without too many compromises.

For the past 11 years I've been organising the EoSB for c.100 people in Val Thorens in April so I may have relevant experience with which to provide you some useful insights/contacts.

Do you want to go out for just the weekend or the whole week? Obviously folk who are time constrained may prefer just a weekend but you may find doing that to be as expensive, indeed often even more expensive than doing a full week, especially at this time of year.

How many people are you thinking of catering for? Are they all skiers?.. or willing to learn?
With a larger number, cost per head for, for example, private transfers come down, allowing you to travel at times of your choosing. But getting decent accommodation, for a large group, that spans the end of one week and the beginning of another - that can be tricky and expensive.
snow report
@mike82, Apologies for being the voice of boring sanity but are you 100% sure that's really what all your guests will want as well as you? You are asking them to spend a fair chunk of their cash (I assume you won't be paying for all the flights accommodation lift passes etc) and some of their precious holiday leave on your wedding. It's pretty hard for close friends to say no. Why not have the wedding at home in the normal way and then just tell them they are welcome to join you on honeymoon if they want. That way it doesn't exclude non-skiers, old relatives, those with small child etc.
latest report
@mike82, are you set on doing it in France? My better half and I recently got married in Austria (May 2016), and it was a wonderful experience and an actual legal wedding.

The wedding was planned in 5 months, was fairly easy to arrange, and was also reasonable cost-wise - i.e. almost everything was cheaper than the UK equivalent (apart from document translations which were a rip off!).

We were married in the lovely town of Fugen (down the valley from Mayrhofen), ceremony in the local town hall (stunning 17th century building), and had the function at a local B&B gasthaus (Where we had all our guests staying).
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@mike82, Apologies for being the voice of boring sanity but are you 100% sure that's really what all your guests will want as well as you? You are asking them to spend a fair chunk of their cash (I assume you won't be paying for all the flights accommodation lift passes etc) and some of their precious holiday leave on your wedding. It's pretty hard for close friends to say no. Why not have the wedding at home in the normal way and then just tell them they are welcome to join you on honeymoon if they want. That way it doesn't exclude non-skiers, old relatives, those with small child etc.

I've been on the other current wedding thread (must be something in the air) as we're looking at an alpine wedding. To answer your question, we're considering it as we don't want half of our family and hangers on to attend our wedding...and yes we will be getting a chalet for each immediate family (parents, brothers, sisters and nephews and nieces), albeit self catering. Were going for autumn so no lift passes, although if going up in a lift is an integral part of the wedding we will pay for them. Easyjet flights are coming in less than £80 including one hold luggage return, if someone we really want there is struggling to afford that we prob will contribute to help them get there. Again transfers we'll help arrange and probably supplement.
Sure everyone will turn up for a free meal back home but only the important people will make the effort to celebrate in the way we want.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 4-08-16 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@manicpb, That's fine. You've clearly taken it into account. Sounds like a good decision on that basis. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy