Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term or Easter for 2017???

Poster: A snowHead
Need some help/advice from those with a bit more experience......We had our first family ski holiday last Easter and loved it (kids are 11 and 9) We're desperate to get booked up again (Flaine) but undecided as to the best time to go in 2017. February half term will no doubt be extremely busy and possibly colder, making sitting outside enjoying lunch etc less appealing. However, Easter is quite late so we're worried about snow conditions being poor as the season ends. Is anyone able to offer some advice as to when might be best to go? busy half term or risk poor snow at the end of season?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serious reply, February is the safer bet. Last season was a poor start with very good conditions late in the season. You could look at the snow report thread(s) for areas of interest going back to mid-April for past few years.

In terms of school vacations in different countries, this is a very useful thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749

Others may be able to advise if, for example, this means Italy will be quieter than France at half term?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW, we went to Tignes at half-term last year, and while it was busy, it was fine really. Queues were mostly non-existent, and though the pistes could get a little busy, it was perfectly manageable. Obviously, February will be colder, and you're less guaranteed to eat outside. But you're almost sure to get good snow conditions, and with Easter being late next year I think February is the better option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worth asking: is your half-term 11-18 Feb? I ask as my brother's is 18-25, which like last year avoids the Paris holidays (may explain partly why things weren't too busy), whereas 11-18 overlaps the Paris holidays, which I'd expect to make things quite a bit busier. Might be worth thinking about Italy or Austria in that case...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses, our half term is the 18th-25th so we'll avoid the Paris holiday period. February it is!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I'd always choose Easter, but not Flaine. Far cheaper and less crowded. Flaine can be very busy at half term, too, if snow in the lower areas of the GM is a bit thin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, that wasn't clear. I meant I'd go at Easter but to somewhere with more reliable late season snow. Tignes, for example.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@teadah, half term could well be very cold compared to Easter, we went for many years at Easter with our kids and always had good snow, even in very poor years. As @pam w says it's cheaper, less crowded, longer days, and warmer which makes for happier kids!!

Selection of pics here - (if you hover over the pic it will tell you what year)

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@teadah, I've been to Val Thorens in mid-April many times and always had a fantastic time. Plenty of snow, you'll generally eat outside every day and come home with a nice tan. And all at a price that is a load cheaper than Feb half term!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for the responses everyone, lots to think about........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@teadah, The week in February you mention will probably be more snowsure if you are prepared to pay the premium for accommodation, and will hopefully be less busy than week commencing 11/2.

However based on the last five years there is also a good chance there will be enough snow in Flaine on 1st week of April if that is the Easter week you are thinking of. We've been to the Grand Massif 3 times at that time of year and had great holidays. It was on the mild side this Easter but this was the case in many French resorts. There was plenty of snow but it got a bit slushy as the day wore on. This didn't stop my children begging to stay out till the lifts shut most days.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manchester flights to Munich £100/return (Thurs-Thurs) in half term, car hire for under £100/week if you dont need a big car. If you are booking ski school for the kids Austria is way cheaper (as it is for food and drink on the mountain, quite often half the price compared to French resorts).
If you are looking at Easter watch out for offers at Engleberg in Switzerland - their season runs to the end of May but this year the Ramada started its "Spring deals" at the beginning of April. Combined with cheap flights to Basel & train xfers we got a cracking deal and the high altitude meant we even got half a metre of fresh snow! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pablito69 wrote:

If you are looking at Easter watch out for offers at Engleberg in Switzerland - their season runs to the end of May but this year the Ramada started its "Spring deals" at the beginning of April. Combined with cheap flights to Basel & train xfers we got a cracking deal and the high altitude meant we even got half a metre of fresh snow! Madeye-Smiley

This caught my attention! anywhere in particular I need to keep an eye for the deals??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Before you buy apparently bargain Thursday flights check you can get accommodation. You won't in French resorts at half term. Austria might be easier but its a busy time there too
ski holidays
Normally I'd say Easter, but isn't it late next year?
snow report
It is a bit late. Which is why Flaine wouldn't be my top choice (though I shall be in Les Saisies which is the same altitude with a lower top). It could be fine but...... At Easter you can afford to leave it very last minute to book accommodation.
snow report
It depends if the OP means Easter Sunday itself or the school Easter holidays. The Easter holidays started for many people on 26th March this year and will start on 1st April next year. A difference of 6 days.
latest report
Easter school holidays were weeks 13-14 this year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2692443&highlight=european+school#2692443. And will be weeks 14-16 next year. One week later for most schools I expect.

I wish they would use week numbers in the UK as its so much easier....(andthe date format, used in Sweden at least, is superior 2016-08-02 for electronic filing). Don't even get me started on the plug sockets rolling eyes
snow report
@Themasterpiece, what's wrong with the plugs?! Very Happy

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Themasterpiece, what's wrong with the plugs?! Very Happy

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth

Interesting article. I take it all back wink
snow report
letsgetpiste wrote:
pablito69 wrote:

This caught my attention! anywhere in particular I need to keep an eye for the deals??

Sorry for the latest reply ever!! The deals for the Ramade were on booking.com. We were looking at b&b prices when we noticed the 'Spring deal' with free drinks, half board, room upgrades was only £10/night more over 4 nights! The Spring deal also included a free hiking pass or free use of e-bikes. When we arrived we negotiated them subsidising our ski lift pass by 50euros each instead Very Happy One of our best Europe trips ever but glad we had the half board as Switzerland is super expensive on and off the slopes, well Engelberg is anyway....
snow conditions
I would go for Easter slopes are quite chance of better weather and the snow from the last few month piled up. You mentioned Flaine, Flaine is an open bowl bottom slopes are 1600m and north facing slopes, it has its own micro climate from Mont Blanc so that why its in the top 5 snow sure reorts of France. You can't really enjoy half term week that much to many queues and expensive etc, The Grand Massif has a good snow record and has enjoyed late snow over the last few season. Flaine is a good location with shorter and cheaper transfers from Geneva just over an hour. Good prices for self catering or try Samoens, Morillon and les Carroz for catered chalet accommodation. I thnk they also have special offers on ski passes for Easter
snow conditions
We usually go for half term. Last year we went xmas/new year but I'll never do that again due to no snow, this year we're going to Tignes for half term. We've always gone to Chamonix and never really had a problem with the queues. Sitting outside for lunch is also usually fine although it can get a little chilly sometimes. My kids have never had a problem though. I'd choose half term to guarantee the snow.
snow conditions
My advice would be February, but not to France. Others have suggested Italy, but I'd also consider Austria. Your half term week would not be that busy, only one small german region is off, along with part of the Netherlands. These make up a large proportion of the clientele.

..but I always say that.
snow conditions
Quote:

pablito69 wrote:

If you are looking at Easter watch out for offers at Engleberg in Switzerland - their season runs to the end of May but this year the Ramada started its "Spring deals" at the beginning of April. Combined with cheap flights to Basel & train xfers we got a cracking deal and the high altitude meant we even got half a metre of fresh snow!

Have a look at the Snoconnells chalet in Engelberg! There link is below, excellent luxury chalet with airb&b prices. Engelberg is cheap enough if you take advantage of the local supermarket and shops for dinner, and have the facilities to cook

https://www.facebook.com/snoconnells/
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
pablito69 wrote:

Oh hello there. I am Daire, the owner of snoconnells in Engelberg. We can do self catering, bnb, or half board. Please feel free to get in touch either through FB, as Fattes mentioned www.facebook.com/snoconnells or directly by email - hello at snoconnells dot com.

All the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Daire O'C
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy