Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 2016/2017 - Sauze, Sestriere...

Poster: A snowHead

Snow/Resort Reports for:

Sauze d’Oulx, Sestriere, Sansicario, Cesana, Pragelato, Claviere & Montgenèvre

In the true spirit of a Snowheads weather topic, this will hopefully cover every aspect of your trip to the Via Lattea.
Useful links, favourite runs, favourite restaurants in resort and up on the hill and most importantly... WEATHER!
Just keep it geographically relevant!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-02-17 8:55; edited 31 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 19-10-16 13:57; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

USEFUL LINKS

Scuola di Sci Sauze Sportinia
Sauze Online
Via Lattea tourism site
Via Lattea Bulletin List of open lifts and pistes

LIFT COMPANY

VIA LATTEA www.vialattea.it

TOURIST INFORMATION

COMUNE DI SAUZE D'OULX www.comune.sauzedoulx.to.it
TURISMO TORINO E PROVINCIA www.turismotorino.org
SAUZE D'OULX INFO ON SNO www.sno.co.uk/ski/italy/sauze-d-oulx/

HOLIDAYS INFORMATION AND BOOKING

CONSORZIO FORTUR www.consorziofortur.it

ACCOMODATION IN SAUZE D'OULX

HOTEL CHEZ NOUS *** www.chaletcheznous.it
HOTEL ETOILE DES NEIGES *** www.etoiledesneiges.it
HOTEL HOLIDAY DEBILI *** www.hotelholidaydebili.it
HOTEL LA PETITA *** www.lapetitta.it
HOTEL SAVOIA DEBILI *** www.hotelsavoiadebili.it
HOTEL SERENDIPITY *** www.serendipityhotel.eu
HOTEL STELLA ALPINA *** www.stellalpinahotel.it
HOTEL OBERJE DLA VIERE *** www.oberjedlaviere.com
HOTEL DES AMIS ** www.hoteldesamis.it
HOTEL EDELWEISS ** www.edelweisssauze.com
HOTEL MARTIN ** www.hotelmartin.com
HOTEL SPORT ** www.villacary.com
HOTEL VILLA CARY** www.villacary.com
RIFUGIO CIAO PAIS www.ciaopais.it
HOTEL MONTE TRIPLEX www.hotelmontetriplex.com
CASA VACANZE ELISA www.casavacanzeelisa.it
CASA VACANZE PERRON www.casevacanzaperron.it

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-10-16 20:29; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

GFS Wiggles
GFS Chart - Somewhere around Sauze

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-10-16 13:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couple of pictures in and around Sauze showing the season turning colder and the peaks getting whiter!! snowHead

I know it's early and I know it wont hold... but man it's good for the soul!!!!! snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 2-12-16 10:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mont Chaberton this morning - 3,131 metres (10,272 ft). More snow on the mountains last night falling at approx 2,385m.
Courtesy of facebook page of http://www.sauzedoulx.net/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

First real snow of the season!! Beautiful images from the Orso Bianco hotel looking out over Sportinia!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
New pistes and chair lift move for Winter 2016/17

Sauze has two new pistes and a three man chair lift from Pian della Rocca to the top of Moncrons for this winter.

The lift that used to be the Grand Villard to Belvedere lift has been moved to provide two more runs that will link back to Pian della Rocca. In addition, from the top of Moncrons, you can ski off piste (under your own risk!) to Pragelato helping to close the circle around the Via Lattea ski area.

Looking forward to seeing the new developments for 16/17!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like more snow rolling in over the next 24 hours snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Resort Opening 2016/2017

Sauze will be open from the 8th of December.
Initially the Sportinia, Mini Sportinia and Rocce Nere lifts will be open from the 8th-16th December.
From the 17th Dec the resort will be fully open with all normal lifts running * please note this is dependent on weather conditions.[/u]
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@letsgetpiste, Hello. I will be in Sestriere with a group of friends for the second week of January. All experienced skiers but given the shortness of the days at that time of the year and the sometimes lengthy lunches I would appreciate any info re bus or taxi services between the various resorts in the Vialattea. Many thanks in anticipation. ps Any lunch stop recommendations welcome !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@letsgetpiste, all that snow's gone now - more like summer here* at the moment

*Serre Che
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, It was fun to look at!! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peter w, if memory serves me, the 285 or 275 service will get you between Sauze and Sestriere (via Oulx) but can take an age. Maybe up to 2 hours. Taxis will cost you about €40 and about 40 minutes... The quickest way is to ski!
If you're out with a tour operator, they frequently run day trips out to Montgenevre, and if you're not with a tour operator, just grab one of the Crystal reps when you see one - I've known them to sort out a few people if there's any spare places left.
James over at Sauzeonline / Sestriereonline is a wealth of knowledge.

Out on the slopes, my food knowledge isn't encyclopedic, I'm just an Irish lad who keeps finding himself back in italy for a few weeks each winter! snowHead
However... couple of spots: Chisonetta above Sestriere, The Soleil Boeuf in Sansicario & Ciao Pais in Sauze are always popular. My personal favourite is Capanna Kind in Sportinia (Sauze), as much for its friendly welcome as much as its simple food! It's a great central meeting spot as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Conditions = SNOWY
Strong weather front coming in this weekend.
The webcams look delicious and it's definitely looking good for the lifts to start moving on the 8th of December!

James has done his first blog of the season over on "Sauze Online": https://www.sauzeonline.com/its-looking-good/
snow report

Couple of bits to catch up on!

Theres been well over a metre of snow in certain areas of the milky way. snowHead

Sestriere is going to open up some of its slopes this weekend (early!!) and the course for the World cup has been approved for racing next weekend.
http://www.vialattea.it/Press-Marketing/News wrote:
The FIS has given the green light to the two alpine skiing World Cup races scheduled in Sestriere for Saturday and Sunday, December 10th and 11th, two days in advance. The snow inspection was due December 2nd, but the FIS approval came in already today, Wednesday November 30th. The Kandahar Giovanni Alberto Agnelli course is in excellent conditions, thank to the heavy snowfalls of the last days, the particularly cold temperatures, but also, and above all, the great work carried out by the staff ...

Sauze is still on track to open up next Thursday, 8th of December. Looking at webcams and reading what weather reports I can get my hands on, it looks like all but the lowest of the slopes should be open.

Does anyone have any idea if the new lift from Moncrons is finished or going to be open?
snow report
James from Sauzeonline has put up his first snow report of the season.

http://youtube.com/v/ShSEBcry7LA
snow report
@letsgetpiste hi, a fellow Dub here. Is there any shop in particular you'd recommend for snowboard/boots hire in Sauze? Cost isn't really an issue. I'm just looking for the best kit available for a week's boarding at the end of Feb/early March.
snow report
@Jefferson Darcy, Welcome to Snowheads!
Maison Clataud Sport have a shop in Sauze village and a mini shop and storage area in Sportinia and I've always found them to be a lovely approachable bunch with a selection of decent kit.
http://www.clataud.it/index.php?lang=en_US
ski holidays
SauzeOnline report from opening day of Sauze. Most of the skiing is open above Sportinia. You cant currently ski down to the bottom although the cannons have been firing snow onto these pistes...

http://youtube.com/v/Htagsrg-IPs
ski holidays
Sauzeonline weather report from Montgenevre

http://youtube.com/v/-W8iDWQanNo
latest report
That outside chance of snow next week is looking more and more likely!!
snow report
Currently snowing! Expecting it to get heavier over the next 24 hours!! snowHead
snow report
Around 20-50cm due.
ski holidays
I'm still a month away from my trip but (as with every season) am already avidly watching this and the Weather Outlook thread. The last two posts gave me an unnecessary level of excitement! How's it looking?
latest report
@abbosphere, sauzeonline did this video from Sportinia yesterday:

http://youtube.com/v/-v4VTjbG00s

Its still dumping today (i hope... some of the webcams aren't working for me!)
snow report
Great day in Pragelato / Sestrierre today where we scored 40-50cm of fresh.

Stunning differences in accumulation across the Via Lattea from Montgenevre.

We were on a road trip heading to the resort that can't be named from Serre Che but the snow looked so go in Sestrierre that we carried on the Pragelato in the hope that the cable car would be working and snow cover was even better.

The difference between Pragelato and Sestrierre was amazing and really only one lift.

For sure lower down in the trees on the way back down to Pragelato the snow was heavy, but if we get a clear sky and cold temps snow could well transform as the moisture gets sucked out to some uber light powder.

KenX ripping the powder

Pragelato car park (1,500m) mid to late afternoon as the weather cleared. Higher up obviously a lot more accumulation.
snow conditions
Not VL but nearby

Prali

Champorcher Aosta
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sauzeonline report from 23.12.2016

http://youtube.com/v/adHtXwWH8o0
snow conditions
Thanks for the update.

How is the existing snow holding out?
ski holidays
How are we looking for snow in the near future? Are the pistes still looking good?
latest report
I'm hoping people start feeding back their trip reports soon! I know someone has just come back from Cesana and reported that the best of the skiing was to be had in the morning and at altitude.

The last ski report video from sauzeonline suggested that the base above Sportinia was around 2 metres andwith temperatures this week sitting well below zero, thats not going anywhere and the cannons will be firing.

Reports now indicating that all lifts in Sauze are now operational. Links open all the way to france.
latest report
@letsgetpiste, I haven't skied but have driven through Claviere and Montgenevre twice. There's a ton of snow about.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Cheers!

The conditions look great, its just the quality lower down thats in question. It looks like a very wintry weather system is starting to develop from the beginning of next week (3/1) which could bring some snow to the whole alpine region and hopefully drop some coverage all the way into resorts!

Here's that quote I spotted on another topic relating to Cesana:
[iskar] - Posted: Wed 28-12-16 14:20 wrote:
just come back from there, the snow lower down is dodgy (cesana) but up higher its fantastic, I think we had the better of the two weeks as it was really quiet. The Refuge Pais off red 2000 I believe, is fantastic, but not for a quick bowl of soup, its more a long leisurely lunch type of place. The restaurant next to the chair at sansicario has a great outdoors area and the bombardino was the best we had. Also the Cabana the yellow building at sportina is nice and does not get full up with ski schools
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, I'm skiing in Serre Che, and I wouldn't have thought with the current cold weather that the Via Lattea is any worse then here. A few hard patches, some nice soft stuff occasionally. No slush. Lovely sunny weather. Artificial snow back to villages.
latest report
@Fridge03, @capability, there you go! Straight from the horses mouth (sorry @Hells Bells! Laughing )

I'm on my official 28 day countdown now! snowHead
snow report
Thanks for the update! We are hitting Montgenevre on the 28th! Hopefully will be some fresh stuff by then!
snow report
@Fridge03, I'll be in Sauze then! Might catch you in the middle!! snowHead
snow conditions
We are in Sauze then...cannot wait!
ski holidays
I've skied a couple of areas in the past week across very different areas of the Via Lattea.

The better accumulations were further SE into the Via Lattea with far better accumulation in Pragelato / Sestrierre rather than Sauze / Cesana.

Couple of days ago I went back over to ski a lesser known area of Bardonecchia, Jafferau and the snow was superb. Whilst the slopes of Sauze were looking a tad tired, and Montgenevre / Claviere had no where near the amount of snow, and Sansicario is not looking that good at all!

Over the years having seen the Jafferau plateau and then in the summer having cycled from Oulx up to the Jafferau Fort it was obvious that this was a location that just had to be visited come the winter.

What is truly amazing is that at this time of the year the whole area is in sunshine till 16:30.

The off piste potential is massive on a par with St Foy.

Only issue is that if you're in Sauze / Sestrierre without a car then I'm not too sure how you could get over there.

From Serre you can get to the bottom of the gondola in around 45mins - though next time we'd ski Melezet / Bardonecchia in the morning and do Jafferau in the afternoon. But there again if it's a big powder day think I'll head there rather than the resort which can't be named as it's a damn site closer!

So if going to Sauze get over to Sestrierre and you'll find the better snow there on the slopes that have not been too exposed to the recent warm temps and sunshine, though you'll have to work that out!

Edit: Should have added that the lower slopes in Sauze, Sansicario and Jafferau are all quite bare into resort, in fact the piste down to bottom gondola station at Jafferau is closed, so you get the godola up to mid station, one of the reasons it was so empty!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy