Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why don't I fall off the edge of the piste?: The brain’s super-sensitivity to boundaries

Poster: A snowHead
The human brain is super-sensitive to boundaries:

http://www.shopife.com/the-brains-super-sensitivity-to-curbs/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do.
Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having smashed marker poles and had a small French child ask me if I was alive and separately found myself jammed upside down in a snow cannon well in the past couple of years I can confirm my brain isn't that sensitive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Catch netting seems to my favourite...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I slid under the fence...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done all of the above Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Because I turn before reaching the edge? Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess no one read the article in the link?

The edge of the piste does NOT fit into any of the patterns in the study! Partly because the piste designers want it to be relatively "non-boundary like"!

That's why we DO fall off the edge of the piste! Even when we really don't want to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
I guess no one read the article in the link?

The edge of the piste does NOT fit into any of the patterns in the study! Partly because the piste designers want it to be relatively "non-boundary like"!

That's why we DO fall off the edge of the piste! Even when we really don't want to.

"Researchers at the Institute have been able to pinpoint specific areas of the brain that show sensitivity to the smallest of such boundaries.... According to Park, brain activity increases when one sees an edge.

I do think the edges of a piste could count, as often they are very clearly delineated where the piste-basher has been; and an "edge" is often created.

I think you need to do a special study: "The effects of ethyl-alcohol consumption on the ability of the human brain to distinguish boundaries after long-lunches" snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Admittedly haven't read the article... Managed not to do any of the above... yet Laughing
But that's only 'cause I'm too slow Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I do think the edges of a piste could count, as often they are very clearly delineated where the piste-basher has been; and an "edge" is often created.

SOME edges are clear to see, in a bright sunny day. But many others are not (that's almost all of them on a cloudy low contrast day). Those are the ones we tend to fall off of.

Blaming alcohol is a cheap escape.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Blaming alcohol is a cheap escape.

Story of my life! 😆😆
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder if we have place cells.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeDaSp wrote:

The local cats on my square are super sensitive to boundaries. They will all come out and stop with their paws on the very limit between the square and their driveways and stare at each other, why, for the cat, is a change in texture between drive and road a recognized limit?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

The local cats on my square are super sensitive to boundaries. They will all come out and stop with their paws on the very limit between the square and their driveways and stare at each other, why, for the cat, is a change in texture between drive and road a recognized limit?

No, they have place cells, as do mice and rats etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_cell
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
davidof wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

No, they have place cells, as do mice and rats etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_cell

That's interesting but I don't think that is what is in play here.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy