Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon or Samoens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are Going on our first family ski holiday in March 2017. I've been doing a bit of research on both Morillon and Samoens but still can't decide which resort to go to. Anyone help me with this ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Craigymcd26, if it is a first family ski trip, and depending on children age, choose one that has accomodation on slopes/closer to lifts. Samoens may involve some walking in the morning but it would depends where you stay.

Morillon has numerious accomodation options at the top of the first lift. I went to Morillon some years ago on my second family ski and one of the chair lifts is quite/high and long - whenever the lift had to stop it was swinging at high amplitude ... but maybe it was my second family trip and I was too sensitive Smile

Samoens (been there in summer only) is quite nice and some of the restaurants are super good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks mooney. Kids will be 10 and 7. Morillon accommodation does look to be closer to the lifts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to both many times and would stay in samoens over morillon. The gondola queue is never really an issue but the town is far nicer and there's some nice places to eat. The buses between are pretty regular so you can always ski down to morillon and catch the bus back.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Possible Neither! For kids and ski school you want proximity to ski school meeting point first thing (preferably a 5 min walk) and hassle free meet ups after they have finished lessons. That for me would be accommodation at Morillon Les Esserts, where the skiing really starts from, though it's a bit lacking in atmosphere, it's a pleasant base. Samoens, pretty as the town may be, involves lifts to the snow line and the start of the skiing and the same applies to Morillon Village proper (runs to the bottom in Morillon are rarely open). A real PIA if offspring (or parent) forgets their gloves, or ski pole, or helmet...or lift pass.... and you only notice at the top of the lift up...(It will happen...promise!)

If you want somewhere that offers the best of both worlds in the Grand massif, I'd go for Les Carroz and try and find some accommodation near the piste and main lift up the top of the village-like Les Chalets De Jouvance (though they are quite pricey).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Les Carroz and the Chalets de Jouvence. Ideal location at the foot of slopes and also within an easy walk of town. Good beginners area and plenty to move on to. Chalets de Jouvence is of a very high standard and also has a pool which is great for beginner kids as they will have another activity to do once they've finished skiing for the day. There is also another similar property Residence Leana which will be new for next season. It is a little less convenient for the slopes but in the centre of town.

Morillon 1100 - good for skiing but basic accommodation and little else there..ie no pool

Samoens -beautiful village (we stay there sometimes in summer) but not the best location for your kids first ski holiday as the accommodation is a distance from the gondola and it is hard to progress from Samoens to the rest of the grand massif on skis if you are a beginner.

I'd recommend looking at Peak Retreats website as they have a lot of accommodation in all the above villages and do good self drive deals or accommodation only if you're flying. We have used them many times and the staff are very friendly/helpful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've spent the last two seasons in Morillon and would recommend staying in Samoens if you're there with kids. It's nice to able to have walk out in the evening and there's often something going on in the town square. There's the little train which runs regularly around town and to the lift and there's a large free car park which only gets busy during school hols. Most ski schools meet at the top of Samoens lift.

Although it's nice, and quiet, there's nothing in morillon other than 2 bars which alternate opening when it's quiet and half a dozen restaurants. Although the skiing is far better for beginners (other than the baby slopes) in morillon than Samoens and marvel is one of THE great beginners runs.

Les Carroz is nice too but doesn't have the same village feel as Samoens and is a little more spread out so unless you're paying top dollar you could be quite a way from the lifts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With our two children we have spent their formative ski years at Morillon 1100 Les Esserts because it is so very easy to ski with them from staying literally on the snow. All the accommodation is within about a 100mtr radius of the lift and you can come and go during the day without any inconvenience. It all depends on their and your approach to it I guess.
You don't say if you've a car while there as Samoen is only about 15mins away so very easy for an evening. Granted there are not many things to do at 1100 (there's enough of everything not to need to go anywhere else though) but the skiing just could not be more convenient.
I like all of the villages of the area and have stayed both summer and winter over a ten year period in all of them but for an intro season for kids it's very hard to beat staying at Morillon.
The slopes are also less intimidating for a raw beginner in that sector than too, with easy access to and from Les Carroz with also some very good beginner's pistes at the top of that area.
Also one of the best lunch time restaurants in the ski area is right on the piste just above the start point of the main chairlift, Le Beu, my family would go there just for that, family run and brilliant local dishes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Craigymcd26, if I were you, I would also add Sainte Foy to the list - would be perfect for a first family ski trip. Been to many mega resourts (with and without family), but will be returning this comming Feb to St Foy - no contest imo. With or without family. But if you fly to Geneva, then +1+1.5h additional transfer time in comparison to Morillon/Samoens
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good call @mooney058, I was trying not to add another complication to the pot but we've been to Sainte Foy for the last two years and as you say it doesn't get much better for an intro suitable for a family, plus extensive areas for the more experienced.

We drive down so don't have any particular issues getting to whichever is our choice but appreciate others may have tighter constraints.

This year we went with another family who were introducing their kids to skiing and they were amazed how good it is at SF, both their boys ( 7/10 yrs) went straight into ski school, and just progressed so well that by the end of the week they were both onto the big piste over in the middle from the left chair. Again you couldn't stay closer to the snow with the obvious ease of getting the family out onto piste that goes with it.

We went from there to Val Cenis both years, another place that's a bit off UK general radar but also a great place and managed to get to Bonneval Sur Arc for a day. A beautiful place too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

With our two children we have spent their formative ski years at Morillon 1100 Les Esserts because it is so very easy to ski with them from staying literally on the snow. All the accommodation is within about a 100mtr radius of the lift and you can come and go during the day without any inconvenience. It all depends on their and your approach to it I guess.
You don't say if you've a car while there as Samoen is only about 15mins away so very easy for an evening. Granted there are not many things to do at 1100 (there's enough of everything not to need to go anywhere else though) but the skiing just could not be more convenient.
I like all of the villages of the area and have stayed both summer and winter over a ten year period in all of them but for an intro season for kids it's very hard to beat staying at Morillon.
The slopes are also less intimidating for a raw beginner in that sector than too, with easy access to and from Les Carroz with also some very good beginner's pistes at the top of that area.
Also one of the best lunch time restaurants in the ski area is right on the piste just above the start point of the main chairlift, Le Beu, my family would go there just for that, family run and brilliant local dishes.

This.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy