Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

German Roadworks

Poster: A snowHead
Had a rather unpleasant trip back across Germany a few weeks ago. The way out different route was not too bad but I should have been alerted by the receptionist at our Hotel in Heidelberg.

Q - have you come across our dreadful roadworks yet - all being done during the summer and in short sections? It is not good for our tourist industry.....

Well, we had actually come across country and down the Rhine Valley rather than autobahn......we started hitting problems approaching Passau but the traffic was not heavy.

However our route back to belgium from near Neuschwanstein was punctuated by section of roadworks after section of roadworks. Rather than do one long section they seem to do about 5kms, you then think - ah, clear and then about 30kms later you hit another section and so it goes on. Even worse is that the lanes, usually two rather than three, are very narrow - quite often the outside lane is only 2 metres which should be enough if the lorry and coach you are overtaking is driving on the right edge of their lane but they often did not.

I knew from Samerberg Sue's notes on this forum that the east west Stuttgart motorway was bad as it was being upgraded - actually we were lucky travelling West - some horrendous queues on a Friday travelling East.

So, beware, do your research and allow yourself a significant amount of extra time for the journey.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It varies. Sometimes the roadworks are 5km roadworks 5km normal, and other times there's 30km in one stretch. A8 near Ulm has been 30km typically in about 2x 15km sections the last 2 winters. I had 0 jams, but saw horrendous ones the other way. Just depressing going 80km/h for km after km.
May as well stick in the slow lane... that one is always wider for trucks. you'll be going the limit anyway, so why try to squeeze thru what sometimes can feel a very narrow gap.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're heading to Saalbach in August for a week. Booked an overnight in Saarbrucken on the way and was going to take a slow journey home stopping twice for overnights and visiting a couple of places.

Which road(s) should we be avoiding? Is it the A8? If so where? Anyone recommend some interesting towns/cities to visit?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hammerite, I'm interested too, we're heading to Arlberg on 17 August so keen to hear also.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My experience is that the roadworks tend not to cause traffic jams, but they're just depressing. It's the accidents and broken down vehicles that cause them or they just appear totally randomly for no apparent reason.
Saying that, the A8 roadworks appear to be around Leonburg interchange, so affecting A8 near Stuttgart, and A81. Since it's always so busy, with lots of lane changing, I imagine it could be a jam.

If you really want to avoid that, then staying on A6 is an option, and down A9 to Munich. Nuremburg might be interesting place to stay? (never been). Sinsheim if you like aeroplanes and museums (you can't miss it - there's a concorde and a konkordski right by the autobahn).

Not much use for Arlberg region, but it's a way I have used when going via Kufstein.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hammerite,
I like the Black forest. We stayed at Titisee, just because the name amused me. We went up the chairlift at the Feldberg and walked back down through the forest. Beautiful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy, thanks. We used the A8 last year and as you say kept moving, just go frustrated at the slow-ish progress. But it was a busy Sunday, so possibly added to the congestion. This year we're driving both ways through Germany (last year we drove in to Austria from Italy) but will be driving on week days.

@Drammeister, I like your justification. I think Jnr would be amused if we ended up there too, I'll take a look.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunday should be fewer trucks. A3 and A5 are the ones clogged up by the Dutch.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anybody driven down past Kufstein recently? How are the roadworks? We're going to Ellmau Saturday from Munich and it looks like they are still doing plenty on that stretch.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@musher, i was there a couple of weeks ago; it was OK as I recall
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drove past Kufstein last week on way to St.Johann and saw no road works.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chick,
I couldn't see any on the cameras but the OAMTC website shows loads. Glad to hear it's not that bad after all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No roadworks showing on the German traffic sites for A8/A93 between Munich Ring and Austria. Just an accident and emergency phones out of order.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy,
Which sites do you use?
ski holidays
http://www.verkehrsinformation.de/
http://www.verkehrsinfo.de/
https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/verkehr/aktuelle_verkehrslage/

there are loads, one for each region and for each police force, but all have exactly the same traffic feed
latest report
The A93 has one carriageway totally dug up. There is a contraflow for about 5km. Usually there is no real hold up but I have known it to be very slow at busy times. The A9 has roadworks after the Inntal turn off which can lead to traffic problems at busy times.
ski holidays
I'm just back from road trip to Austria. Came back via Munich Karlsruhe and Saarbrucken. Nothing major at all on the way back on Saturday. On the way we went via France a lot if the way via Bodensee (to brake journey up)
latest report
Quote:

The A93 has one carriageway totally dug up. There is a contraflow for about 5km.

That's the bit I was concerned about but it was no problem at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy