Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware the caterpillar !!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Over the last two to three weeks out here in Serre Che I've noticed the Larch trees on the slopes turning almost golden, which is what you'd expect in autumn but not in the height of summer.

Last Sunday I raised the questions with some local Frenchies who said it was a "malade" / sickness of the trees, that is cyclical in every eight to ten years and the trees come back.

I tried to establish what this sickness was but think I lost something in translation, then again today I asked someone who lives in a summer village where we were, and again had the same answer that it was cyclical sickness. He then said it was so bad that camping areas down close to Lac Serre Poncon were closed because of it!

So tonight I asked my trusty French mate who is a font of all knowledge with regard to the mountains, and who speaks quite good English and along with the Internet I was finally able to get to the bottom of it and fathom out a few other questions that have been baffling me.

First off the sickness is down to parasitical caterpillars - further googling once I knew what I was looking turned up this article from the UK Forestry Commission.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pineprocessionarymoth#susceptible

And what one of the photos on that page shows is of a nest that we've seen since back in the winter in certain areas of trees, and not something we've ever seen before, but back in the Spring I had explained to me that they were in fact caterpillar nests.

We've had scares in the UK about furry caterpillars giving a nasty rash and I think what's happening down in Serre Poncon is a much more serious infestation of them, and again googling confirms that if you use the French word for caterpillar = chenille
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These are bad news for dogs, not sure what can be done except cutting out the nests and burning them. Difficult in mature trees of course!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, further South they are a bloody plague every year. They are easily spotted in Spring as it looks like a massive ball of cotton wool/ spiders' webs in the trees. We have all the trees sprayed every spring; pets are inquisitive and the thought of them dropping on kids horrible!

If you google chenilles processionaires you'll see pics of the head to toe trains they form.

Allegedly its the the hair on their bodies that cause the pain
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, we get annual warnings in the late spring in Geneva about avoiding them and who to call is a nest is found.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh, there seems to be a duplicated thread (I just posted in the other one, sorry!)

Just wanted to link to a thread earlier in the year - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2840227
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
let's carry on with that thread (the old one @fixx linked to) and close these others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy