Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to but transceiver/probe/shovel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where is the cheapest place online to get a DCS Tracker tranceiver/probe/shovel ?

After reading about the recent avalanches (one of which happened in the exact place where I have skied countless times before) it has made me realise that getting this equipment for my wife and me is a good idea.....

Suggestions links would be fab...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talking to people today around Les Arcs, and of course it could just have been luck, but it appears that of the three that were caught in the Lanchettes slide the only one to survive was the one who managed to trigger his airbag. Not cheap, but still.... it would be a bargain whatever the price for those whose lives it saves.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hodsonb, we bought our kit through Facewest. They're in snowShops I believe
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also used Facewest. Excellent service. And snowHeads get a kickback if you buy via the snowheads shop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also bought thru facewest, they do "packaged" prices which save you a bit, ie rucksack, probe, shovel transceiver.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hodsonb, (and every one else) A transciever will NOT make you safer. Avalanche trainig will ! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, this is true. Buy buying your own equipment and leaning how to use it is a good first step.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got ours from Daddy's Boardshop in Portland Oregon. If you can get somebody to bring it across the pond it will be well worth your while as on 2 DTS trackers you can save over £100 pounds. They are happy to ship to England but i am not sure what HM customs boys would have to say about that. For shovels and probes this site has very good prices www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductList.aspx?cat=Shovels&language=en-GB.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PP, I'ts about time that transceivers were categorised as 'safety equipment' by HRC&E and should be VAT free. I'm not sure they're not. Do we have any Customs bods in Snowheads? They have no purpose other than safety and are required equipment when working (guide, instructor, patroller etc.) there has to be a motive here for a test case?

What the Hell, I seem to have sooooo much freeee time rolling eyes, I'll start the ball rolling tomorrow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
Do we have any Customs bods in Snowheads?

Ford
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, Memory like a steel trap ... or just anal beyond measure? snowHead thanks, I'll PM him tomorrow.

edit:

Trying to get information out of Customs and Excise is like shovelling s**t with a teaspoon....

As we all know children's clothing is VAT exempt so all kids ski clothing including boots and helmets should be but it's hard to tell from the online shops if you're paying it or not.

From HM CUSTOMS AND EXCISE Notice 701/23
Protective equipment

4. Pedal cycle helmets
4.1 How do pedal cycle helmets qualify for zero-rating?
They are zero-rated when both of the following conditions are met:

Condition Description
1 The cycle helmet is manufactured to standards which satisfy requirements imposed
by the European Community Directive on Personal Protective Equipment (the PPE
Directive)
2 It bears a mark indicating conformity with those standards

some ski helmets are also sold in bike shops for cycling use and since bike helmets are zero rated you have an argument for making sure you don't pay it on the bill.

From HM CUSTOMS AND EXCISE Notice 701/23
Protective equipment

4. Pedal cycle helmets
4.1 How do pedal cycle helmets qualify for zero-rating?
They are zero-rated when both of the following conditions are met:

Condition Description
1 The cycle helmet is manufactured to standards which satisfy requirements imposed
by the European Community Directive on Personal Protective Equipment (the PPE
Directive)
2 It bears a mark indicating conformity with those standards

There is a case for applying for ski helmets to be added to the list especially since they are becoming mandatory for children and for use in parks.

Transceivers are another issue: If you're self-employed and registered you can claim the vat back, but not if you're employed by a school. No-one has applied for transceivers to be zero rated as safety equipment so there is no discussion within HMCE about them. But there is no reason why an application could not be prepared.

Personally, I feel that anything to make safety more affordable is worth a bit of time and effort so I'll get more information on the application process for both helmets and transceivers.

(then there's the Avalung and Airbags . . . )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy