Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Parity

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/7333-city-index-forecast-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate

I see the the Pound fallingvbelow parity due to the continued uncertainty by British Government.

The only Hope of remaining above parity will be if Frau Merkel is not re-elected (unlikely)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:
Parity

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/7333-city-index-forecast-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate

I see the the Pound fallingvbelow parity due to the continued uncertainty by British Government.

The only Hope of remaining above parity will be if Frau Merkel is not re-elected (unlikely)

Don't go silent for 24 hours then come back ignoring the question to prove last post............. Name me a French Ski resort where property prices are in free fall.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've become a bit obsessed with the exchange rate. Reason being I now live in Europe. Jobless. And my pitiful savings are in the UK becoming increasingly worthless by the minute.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queen bodecia, I see the Pound has now fallen through the 1.09 floor this morning, which won't put you in a better mood. I too, watch the exchange daily and always have, as it was part of my job (and I live on the Border with ROI).

Looking at it the other way round, The Euro is now almost worth 92p...and probably will be by the end of the day. Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My van had about 6 sqm, and cost about £5,000. (with about £2,000 of fitting out costs) Parking was mostly free, and things like electricity, heating, water, were more expensive than domestic grid prices but I tended to be more efficient in its use and so it was probably cheaper as less area to heat.

I parked in St Moritz, Verbier, Crans Montana, Val d'Isere, Chamonix, and I skied the 3 valleys from the van either from Brides les Bains or Val Thorens.

Of course, this is not for everyone....

You have to enjoy waking up with a nose which thaws out slowly over your first coffee.

Van in Val d'Isere after a good dump of snow....

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bigtipper, Top Post.

More folks should hike up to earn their turns, Skiing for FREE

Stop The Brutal Grooming
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, Im talking specific Austria & Switzerland. You can buy currently Hotels in the Arlberg as they are not making money like they used to. Many will be torn down and redeveloped into Timeshares. The asking prices will be way ove the real value & sold leased/sold mainly to Foreigners locking them in & unable to make a profit on the properties in the long term as prices are falling in Ski resorts not rising .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
@Jonny996, Im talking specific Austria & Switzerland. .

Thanks for clarifying that, means I can ignore everything you say from now on & sleep easy at night. I was worried for a moment that my world was going to fall apart.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny996 wrote:
stanton wrote:
@Jonny996, Im talking specific Austria & Switzerland. .

means I can ignore everything you say from now on

Don't we do that anyway Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonny996, I would still keep upto regular speed (if you are a UK Passport Holder) to Post Brexit situation with regards to Non EU citizens Foreign ownership of property (taxes, legal etc) within the EU.

Nothing should be taken for granted
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't see parity between Pound/Euro, unless the UK crashes out after the 2 year period onto WTO rules ie. with no Interim Period. Since this is in neither side's interest, I don't think it will happen.

I do think it's possible that the Pound could drop below 1.08, but I don't think it will go below 1.07 (unless the talks go very badly, or the economy starts looking like it could go into recession).

The other aspect in all this, is what the Euro will do. Atm it's riding high off the back of good EU growth figures. Is it too high? Is QE going to be eased back and what effect will that have?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
@Jonny996, I would still keep upto regular speed (if you are a UK Passport Holder) to Post Brexit situation with regards to Non EU citizens Foreign ownership of property (taxes, legal etc) within the EU.

There's many more EU citizens living in the UK than vice versa!

Mess with the Brits within the EU and expect that would lead to mass deportation of non-UK johnnies back to the likes of dodgy "New-EU" countries, including that really dodgy France (whose wonderful citizens total 400,00 in London alone - that's tens times as many Brits living the dream in Dordoignshire!).

The reciprocal rights of UK/EU citizens should be the BIGGEST Brexit bargaining chip for Mrs May. Otherwise it becomes a free for all with different deals for different countries.

BTW, Mrs Skimastaaah has her brand new EU Irish passport. NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
stanton wrote:

Mess with the Brits within the EU and expect that would lead to mass deportation of non-UK johnnies back to the likes of dodgy "New-EU" countries, including that really dodgy France (whose wonderful citizens total 400,00 in London alone - that's tens times as many Brits living the dream in Dordoignshire!).

The reciprocal rights of UK/EU citizens should be the BIGGEST Brexit bargaining chip for Mrs May. Otherwise it becomes a free for all with different deals for different countries.

Get all the expats back so they spend theit chunky pensions and winter fuel payments here I say!

I jest of course Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a distinct possibility that sterling's weakness will surpass even the dark days of last year in the months after the U.K.'s shock decision to quit the European Union.

While that in theory should help British exporters, the textbooks say it will also boost inflation -- further crimping cash-strapped Brits at a time when wage growth is lackluster. For now at least, the pound remains trapped in a negative-feedback cycle.

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2017-08-23/brexit-gravity-pulls-down-pound
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimastaaah wrote:
stanton wrote:

1.The UK chose to Leave therefore it has to take all those EU Citizens with it & they MUST retain the rights they came to the UK with.

2. UK/EU citizens should be the BIGGEST Brexit bargaining chip .... Absolutely 100% NOT . They should be protected & guaranteed their rights & left out of the negotiations.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
1.The UK chose to Leave therefore it has to take all those EU Citizens with it & they MUST retain the rights they came to the UK with.

Why? It doesn't HAVE to do anything. That's what the negotiations are all about. Anyway, I'm not sure why anyone would want to stay in the UK given it's such a 3rd world, violent, poo-poo-hole (@Stanton's view, yours may differ ) Laughing
latest report
@stanton, just because the UK chose to leave it doesn't mean the UK MUST retain their rights.

The UK doesn't have to do anything.

That said I 100% agree that any legal migrant EU or otherwise should receive the same benefits, protection and entitlements as uk nationals are afforded post Brexit regardless of what the EU do. These are people's lives!
latest report
stanton wrote:
@Bigtipper, Top Post.

More folks should hike up to earn their turns, Skiing for FREE

Stop The Brutal Grooming

I parked in St Anton too, but that is not on the KF list. I started climbing up the local hill on low wind, fresh snow, sunny days in the late noughties and early 10's. Cycled to the base of the hill, climbed up with boots and skis on back. Started wearing a helmet too.

The maximum number of runs done in one day was 3. Skied a few routes from the top, some better than others. Then one day, climbing up the hill I slipped on an ice covered path, and fell on my left side and bashed my left hip. My back and head was safe, as it was protected by the rucksack and helmet. Although I still climbed to the top, and did a few runs, the ligaments in my left hip were damaged. I am not completely sure if this was the problem, but I have stopped climbing hills since around that time, as my left gluteus has been in rehabilitation. (I call it that but it is really protection)

Crampons, rather than boot spikes could be useful (but more weight).

local hill pictures covered in snow... (before I made any tracks)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 24-08-17 9:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:

Mine applied for.

It would be interesting to know, what percentage of people in the UK that are entitled to one, have applied.
snow report
stanton wrote:
skimastaaah wrote:
stanton wrote:

2. UK/EU citizens should be the BIGGEST Brexit bargaining chip .... Absolutely 100% NOT . They should be protected & guaranteed their rights & left out of the negotiations.

Wrong, WRONG, and WRONG again Mr Stanton!

Less than 52% of eligible UK voters chose to "Leave". The UK itself did not vote. As a "Remain" voter I'm stunned that the "Leave" campaign did not have a "plan". As much of the "Leave" campaign was based on non-regulated "immigration issues" the UK should immediately and effectively exit the hard way. There should be absolutely NO "rights" as such for EU immigrants within the UK, some may apply for a "working visa" once sponsored by a UK based company. BUT certainly NO EU citizens "just popping over to the UK to speculate on this and that job". Any EU citizen entering the UK to live/work should be vetted extensively (rather like the points system currently operating in Australia) so these workers actually contribute to the UK economy. Thus ensuring that the UK "benefits" from EU talent. Rather than EU citizens claiming Benefits from UK taxpayers.
As regards UK citizens living abroad, most of them are home-owning-retirees, on pensions, contributing to EU communities.
A "Hard Brexit" can only benefit the UK, and the debate regarding UK/EU citizen rights by very definition should be reciprocal, and NOT imposed by EU demands, nor by you good self Mr Stanton.
NO EU citizen should have any "rights" in the UK post Brexit. That's exactly what the "Leave" vote was substantially about, the control of UK borders by the UK. AND that the UK can regain a modicum of control as regards who lives/works/stays in the UK.
40 years in the EU equates to over-payment into an increasingly bureaucratic, complex, and expensive Europe that is now nothing like it was upon UK entry.
What has the UK got out of EU membership??? ........ Better French cheeses but cheaper French plonk, better Italian wines and quality Italian shoes!!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
skimastaaah wrote:

Mine applied for.

It would be interesting to know, what percentage of people in the UK that are entitled to one, have applied.

https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/passportstatistics/

Figures are up to June of this year and on balance show nothing of any real statistical significance other than numbers are "up" averaging 10%.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/number-of-britons-seeking-irish-passports-rises-by-two-thirds

The Guardian's dribble!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39609927

The BBC's take on this.

Current net UK immigration - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/feb2017

Net 270,000. Shocked
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, Thanks for that.

Latest Migration figures show the "Unwelcome Mat" strategy is working (along with a weak Pound)....there will be those who will be delighted to be getting their country back.

This is not going to end well (imo).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-immigration-latest-numbers-brexit-eu-citizens-refugees-migrants-students-eastern-europe-a7909681.html

The Govt may be able to control people coming here....but will have little say on people wanting to Leave, or not wanting to come here in the first place. IMO. You often have to lose something, before you appreciate it.
snow report
Cannot wait to see the long lines of low socioeconomic white English people applying for fruit picking jobs next summer......oh wait No one applying?

And back to the subject. ...@stanton, still waiting for proof of falling property prices in alpine regions?
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
......What has the UK got out of EU membership??? ........ Better French cheeses but cheaper French plonk, better Italian wines and quality Italian shoes!!!!! Toofy Grin

A la Monty Python

"..What did the EEC/EU ever do for us? Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade; structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline; clean beaches and rivers; cleaner air; lead free petrol; restrictions on landfill dumping; a recycling culture; cheaper mobile charges; cheaper air travel; improved consumer protection and food labelling; a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives; better product safety; single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance; break up of monopolies; Europe-wide patent and copyright protection; no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market; price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone; freedom to travel, live and work across Europe; funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad; access to European health services; labour protection and enhanced social welfare; smoke-free workplaces; equal pay legislation; holiday entitlement; the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime; strongest wildlife protection in the world; improved animal welfare in food production; EU-funded research and industrial collaboration; EU representation in international forums; bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO; EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty; European arrest warrant; cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence; European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa; support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond; investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital...."

From the letters page of the Guardian Jan 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/11/whats-eu-ever-done-us
snow conditions
Bennyboy1 wrote:
....... low socioeconomic white English people .....

Possibly the 52% of Brexit voters!
snow report
@Bennyboy1, our local global economic genius did come back saying his statement only referred to Austria & Switzerland. so lets just ignore that largest skiing country. No proof just his word.
The percentage fall of property prices has to be higher than the percentage fall of GBP/EUR at the buy price for UK owners to be in negative.
So in summery France is not affected & unless your property has fallen 22% in value you are still up. I think that gang will be very small.
snow report
@albob, but at what net cost to the UK?

With Brexit now a reality do you think the average Brexit voter had all those things in mind?

And as regards educational standards, the UK has slipped to 28 in the world Science/Maths since joining the EU. No wonder the Brexit voters did not know what they were voting for!

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit-vote-explained-poverty-low-skills-and-lack-opportunities?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhJ70Jnlfb4la6VA1CBna5bfcxvtkJ4aBNP7SH0ELBUEwGy8CjdSsoUaAmA7EALw_wcB
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:

Wrong, WRONG, and WRONG again Mr Stanton!

Less than 52% of eligible UK voters chose to "Leave". The UK itself did not vote. As a "Remain" voter I'm stunned that the "Leave" campaign did not have a "plan". As much of the "Leave" campaign was based on non-regulated "immigration issues" the UK should immediately and effectively exit the hard way. There should be absolutely NO "rights" as such for EU immigrants within the UK, some may apply for a "working visa" once sponsored by a UK based company. BUT certainly NO EU citizens "just popping over to the UK to speculate on this and that job". Any EU citizen entering the UK to live/work should be vetted extensively (rather like the points system currently operating in Australia) so these workers actually contribute to the UK economy. Thus ensuring that the UK "benefits" from EU talent. Rather than EU citizens claiming Benefits from UK taxpayers.
As regards UK citizens living abroad, most of them are home-owning-retirees, on pensions, contributing to EU communities.
A "Hard Brexit" can only benefit the UK, and the debate regarding UK/EU citizen rights by very definition should be reciprocal, and NOT imposed by EU demands, nor by you good self Mr Stanton.
NO EU citizen should have any "rights" in the UK post Brexit. That's exactly what the "Leave" vote was substantially about, the control of UK borders by the UK. AND that the UK can regain a modicum of control as regards who lives/works/stays in the UK.
40 years in the EU equates to over-payment into an increasingly bureaucratic, complex, and expensive Europe that is now nothing like it was upon UK entry.
What has the UK got out of EU membership??? ........ Better French cheeses but cheaper French plonk, better Italian wines and quality Italian shoes!!!!! Toofy Grin

YOu ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG .

You are playing with millions of innocent Peoples lives .. Hitler Done that....

EU citiizens are not in the UK for your benefits system, they came to work, millions liked it so have made the UK there Home & now thay are beig picked on , why not round them up & make them wear a Yellow Badge.
The Benefits systems in Germany, France,Netherlands, DEnmark Sweden etc are far more generous than the UK-
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sterling stays low against euro as outlook worsens
Investors are continuing to bet against sterling; weakest in eight years versus the euro

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/sterling-stays-low-against-euro-as-outlook-worsens-1.3196908
ski holidays
@albob, +1
snow report
@Jonny996, I don't believe it's the case in Austria either. No idea about Switzerland.
snow report
albob wrote:

"..What did the EEC/EU ever do for us? Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;

Didn't get any further in the list, but surely we traded with the EU countires before the EU Puzzled
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/XUwsRBogPtc
latest report
martinm wrote:
albob wrote:

"..What did the EEC/EU ever do for us? Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;

Didn't get any further in the list, but surely we traded with the EU countires before the EU Puzzled

You cant really compare before and after. 11 of the current EU countries were behind the Iron Curtain in the 70s' !

But, yes we did trade with them ; I doubt it was anywhere near 57%
snow report
@stanton, Now you compare me with Hitler - you are deranged Mr Stanton!! Skullie

AND - you miss the point of the "Leave" platform.

Sadly I can only assume you are a deranged cretin!
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 26-08-17 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stanton, As regards rising costs for next season I've still got my Amex, Lloyds, HSBC, credit cards with a total available credit of around £100,000. Plus my salary which is related to my outstanding PDR this year, that's another £75,000-£80,000!!

I don't think I'm going to spot a little hike in the cost of my several ski trips, but I may just trade in the SL500 next year rather than this year.

For those of us who pamper ourselves now when holidaying in the Alps, some of us may just remember the "ski-bum" years as, ... well ... bummer!
snow conditions
@stanton, Having just returned from holidaying in Euroland I find UK prices for virtually the same items much better. The Euro has catapulted even relatively basic items into over-priced silliness! NehNeh
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
@stanton, Having just returned from holidaying in Euroland I find UK prices for virtually the same items much better. The Euro has catapulted even relatively basic items into over-priced silliness! NehNeh

But Stanton never pays for anything, so he wouldn't know that Wink
snow report
@martinm, As regards Stanton's rant about EU citizens' rights

Quote ....."The government’s paper 'The Process for Withdrawing from the European Union' argues that British citizens in the EU should not assume that rights acquired under free movement rules 'would be guaranteed' if the UK were to vote to leave the EU."

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/354

And according to the figures there are more than 3 times the number of EU citizens in the UK than vice versa!!

Quote ...."Many of the British emigrants to Europe, especially Ireland, Italy, Germany, Cyprus, France and Spain, are self-sufficient retirees........."

And ....... Quote ...."EU partners charge the NHS for the costs of treating British pensioners. In 2013/14 the UK paid £580 million to other EEA countries for the treatment of British pensioners resident in the EEA.... "
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy