Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Turns out next season will probably be very cheap as it will be limited snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This Stanton chap seems to be an angry type of guy he seems annoyed at everything brexit the rate not doing what he believes it should
He will probably go ballistic if UK sorts a deal out with imperial europe and the £ strengthens against euro!
Oh,erm hang on a bit, news just in!
Batten down the hatches! A storm of links on the way!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob Mackley wrote:
Well that’s that done then and the £ is trading € around 1.11 possibly going up some more when the markets open again , interestingly never got anywhere near parity .

I really never had a major view one on this one , in or out as both arguments had their advantages the only thing I did know and still know is that £ was cheap and was never going to get to parity .

I think that may be because we got a deal. I suspect (and we will never know) that it would have gone to parity had we left with no deal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given the current trends, I'll be investing in Sterling and not the Euro in 2021. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowornever wrote:
This Stanton chap seems to be an angry type of guy he seems annoyed at everything British...

FIFY. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
snowornever wrote:
This Stanton chap seems to be an angry type of guy he seems annoyed at everything British...

FIFY. Madeye-Smiley

I don't know him other than the posts on here so can't comment on that!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just been reading up on CV effects on Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal debt mountains. Italy may take a haircut on its debt at some point, or leave the Euro. Either is likely to have knock on effects on Spain, and Greece. Might end up with a two tier Euro.

QE has probably reached the limit of its effectiveness in EU, and unless changes are made the ECB will have its hands tied behind its back. Meaning there will likely be deflation in the EU, and more unemployment.

Difficult to see how this can be resolved, and it was therefore essential for the EU to agree to a Brexit deal otherwise there would be no way out for the rest of the EU trapped in monetary depression.

The effect of the deal in the short term for the UK will mean RPI will not spike in the new year, and we will also be somewhat tied to the EU's tight monetary policy. Although, less so than others in the EU. Brexit is likely to be the precursor to other exits, so will set many precedents.

Personally, gold or silver look better than fiat currencies to me.

Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bought some euros at 1.1401
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems to me that an important fact will be that by the beginning of the next season a large percentage of the population will be covered with vaccines, restrictions will be lifted and people will rush to rest on this wave. This is how ski resorts and seaside resorts will earn their profits and also compensate for the lost due to COVID.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
Just bought some euros at 1.1401

I read some commentary that said GBP is appreciating vs EUR due to the successful vaccine rollout.

GBP has also lost the depreciating effects of nearly £1bn of net UK-EU transfer payments at the end of every month while we were EU members and continued through the 2020 transition period which weighed heavily on GBP-EUR rates. End of Jan 2021 that hasn't happened, so GBP seems to keep pushing through previous resistance levels. Could be more upside yet??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:

GBP has also lost the depreciating effects of nearly £1bn of net UK-EU transfer payments at the end of every month while we were EU members and continued through the 2020 transition period which weighed heavily on GBP-EUR rates. End of Jan 2021 that hasn't happened, so GBP seems to keep pushing through previous resistance levels. Could be more upside yet??

Wow thats a somewhat desperate pro-brexit stance.

There are many multiples of that going in and out daily on the commercial markets. It will be but a drop in the ocean. The vaccine rollout will be having a much bigger effect - see if you can spin that. Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, the EU are punishing us by improving the exchange rate, making our exports less competitive and encouraging us to spend all our cash on foreign holidays. IT'S TRUE!

Sorry, my tinfoil hat fell off.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster wrote:
luigi wrote:

There are many multiples of that going in and out daily on the commercial markets. It will be but a drop in the ocean. The vaccine rollout will be having a much bigger effect - see if you can spin that. Happy

They tried that on TV this morning with Sturgeon. They claimed the UK's brilliant vaccine program would not have been possible had we remained in the EU. That is of course total cobblers as no member state was obliged to join the EU scheme. Didn't stop them trying repeatedly to badger Sturgeon about it because she voted remain. She also voted remain and has consistently had the lowest infection rates of anywhere in the UK
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jabuzzard wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
luigi wrote:

They tried that on TV this morning with Sturgeon. They claimed the UK's brilliant vaccine program would not have been possible had we remained in the EU. That is of course total cobblers as no member state was obliged to join the EU scheme. Didn't stop them trying repeatedly to badger Sturgeon about it because she voted remain. She also voted remain and has consistently had the lowest infection rates of anywhere in the UK

I thought the vaccine procurement and rollout was driven by Matt Hancock watching film "Contagion"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55917374
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-vaccine-strategy-hancock-contagion-movie-b1796923.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skullie
£ v $ back to pre referendum levels.
Strengthening v euro.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.
That’s mainly because Biden, whilst not being a sociopath with wandering hands, is seen as weaker for the economy than the tangerine buffoon.

The strengthening against the Euro is a bit weird really, and can only be put down to their butchering of the vaccine roll out.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie

No it isn't. It was 1.45805 prior to the crash. Currently 1.39064......but it has been improving (for the moment).
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.
That’s mainly because Biden, whilst not being a sociopath with wandering hands

erm I think he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_sexual_assault_allegation
snow report
davidof wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.

erm I think he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_sexual_assault_allegation

Yikes. Although an unproven allegation is markedly different from boasting about it and paying people off to keep schtum.
snow report
I think i have previously posted....but if you could accurately be predicting exchange rates you would be seriously rich and not on this or any other fora....
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.

Yikes. Although an unproven allegation is markedly different from boasting about it and paying people off to keep schtum.

http://youtube.com/v/_H5NJZMDumY
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.

That’s not comfortable viewing Shocked
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.

It's an uproven allegation from someone who has repeatedly lied under oath by all accounts. Basically made up stuff from someone who clearly has mental health issues. It is not unknown for people to make false allocations of sexual assault

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape
latest report
Quote:

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

For the first time in the 5 years that this thread has been been going it will definitely be true for next season. The first 3 seasons since the start of this thread were marginally dearer, 19/20 was a lot cheaper due to cancelations being refunded and insurance claim against season passes and this season has cost nothing, not even spent anything on kit.

So any skiing at all next season will be a lot more expensive than this. Toofy Grin .
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Skullie
Strengthening v euro.

That’s not comfortable viewing Shocked

Yuck, agreed Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Forex at £1.00 = 1.16 Euro.
latest report
Bought some euros today 1.17 nearly parity rolling eyes
ski holidays
Usual @Stanton predictions missing the mark.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ansta1, yeah, one shouldn't take their economic advice from vaccination experts Very Happy
snow report
Somewhere in the 71 pages of this thread, I'm sure I read about a Ski Holiday Index or similar, which takes a basket of goods and services typical of a ski holiday and tracks them from year to year, and between a few different resorts. Something like the Economist's Big Mac Index but more representative of skiing activity costs. Can anyone remember, or does anyone know of something along these lines? Yes, tourist exchange rates are an element of holiday costs, but there are lots of other factors as well.

I did an illustration for someone asking about costs in Switzerland by going back through receipts from a 2019 (I think) holiday and it struck me that I might use that as the basis for comparing price changes, if I could find my receipts from our Jan-Feb 2020 trip. But a more thorough survey like the above would be better, and would have data for more places across the Alps.

It struck me that this is something that the SCGB could do, and would only need reps to complete a standard pricing form for their resort. The Club could then gain prominence with an 'SCGB Price Index' for various resorts, in both national currencies and vis-a-vis the GBP. Put it behind a paywall, but get the odd article out with selected examples, and it might be something that people would pay a fee for. Although I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Tour Operators already did this, given they must have a good insight into resort costs.
snow conditions
Have any of you booked a Eurotunnel ticket recently ???

Prices are hugely more expensive year on year, which is mainly down to Covid and reduced services etc and I doubt they'll come down.

And then if you take pets that's another cost that was not there last year.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Have any of you booked a Eurotunnel ticket recently ???

Prices are hugely more expensive year on year, which is mainly down to Covid and reduced services etc and I doubt they'll come down.

Just checked my usual slots for a Christmas trip - it's well within the standard deviation for my many previous trips. Before Covid prices had crept up very slightly over many years as you would expect but Covid (aside from a new ticket type option) doesn't seem to have changed anything to me.
snow report
@Weathercam, Ive recently noticed that Eurotunnel charge different amounts for car sizes, (yes its logical, but i thought it used to be a standard price for a car), so my Polo is about £10 cheaper each way than my BMW 3er. It explains why you have to enter the car details before pricing and why I could never get to the headline price advertised.
snow report
I've travelled Eurotunnel three times since Dec 31st and have paid a substantial increase, all booked reasonably last minute, as have friends etc

Maybe as @BergenBergen, says it's the fact that it's a van I drive, but others have commented how year on year coming out this July there is still a hefty increase, maybe it's just a short term booking thing?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I booked late a few days before for an April trip in 2019 and paid £109 and £94 respectively. Usually I booked ~3 months before. It was a bit dearer but not much.

Looking this morning at December this year it was £100 and £87 respectively.

Same car, same sort of time, standard ticket. I've never found much difference for Christmas v Easter.

So I am not seeing any "substantial increase"... not that I am saying you are making it up just that there must be some other factors of play.

Because I have been going twice a year, same sort of days/times/car I can and do track quite closely. We've also done a couple of summer trips and again I've not noticed any big difference.
snow report
well i think the question is if it will be a season...not if or how much expensive will be...
snow report
@LaForet, I have a vague recollection that the Post Office do something like that

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report

Understandable a bit out of date now... (and not always correct!)

==== edit ====

Not that vague -- I posted the above link back in '19...!! Wink
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
well i think the question is if it will be a season...not if or how much expensive will be...

Thread has been running for 5 years now. It's kind of like your drunk uncle sitting in the corner. Nobody knows he invited him, how he got here but he's always here.
ski holidays
And filling his pockets with sausage rolls (true story, but it was at a Wake !!)
latest report
Layne wrote:
turms2 wrote:

Thread has been running for 5 years now. It's kind of like your drunk uncle sitting in the corner. Nobody knows he invited him, how he got here but he's always here.

yeap...but i dont drink snowHead
However didnt catch that...sorry
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy