Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
@Spike107, I can remember buying an eight day Paradiski pass just before New Year 2008/9 - when I got the credit card statement I had got €0.998 to the £.

I still managed 4 trips that season, including a week in Switzerland, so I don't think the current rate is going to stop us all going skiing. Most of this thread is just stanton's lunatic ramblings anyway.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobinS wrote:
@Spike107, I can remember buying an eight day Paradiski pass just before New Year 2008/9 - when I got the credit card statement I had got €0.998 to the £.

I still managed 4 trips that season, including a week in Switzerland, so I don't think the current rate is going to stop us all going skiing. Most of this thread is just stanton's lunatic ramblings anyway.

My point exactly mate... I can't lose too much sleep over crap that hasn't even happened yet Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Demand for skiing will be affected by price elasticity.

Many ordinary punters will not bother if skiing is perceived as too expensive or something else seems a better way to spend money.

Sports popularity ebbs and flows. Look at the number of golf courses that are struggling to survive.

Some shrinkage in the ski market in the UK is highly probable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at TO prices at the moment for xmas don't look to be any more expensive - there are plenty of sub £500 deals which include flights, transfers and food (half board or better).

One way of offsetting exchange rate woes is if you are used to going to France then consider Austria (this is what we are doing) as beers and meals out are considerably cheaper in Austria (Italy tends to be cheaper too but not so much), or if used to Austria/Italy then there's always Bulgaria for a budget trip- I know not comparing apples with apples but a week in the mountains will always trump a week at home whatever the standard/extent/conditions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
George Jones wrote:
Look at the number of golf courses that are struggling to survive.

I'm not a golfer so I don't know whether or not some golf courses are closing, but if they are could one of the pressures be the demand for land for housing? If planning permission is available then I guess a golf course would represent a tidy sum if sold to builders?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Atomic_Mick wrote:
Looking at TO prices at the moment for xmas don't look to be any more expensive - there are plenty of sub £500 deals which include flights, transfers and food (half board or better).

Genuine question - where have you seen these deals, and for what destinations are they?

The only deals that I have seen for Xmas week that are <£500 are all for Bulgaria.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Atomic_Mick, after a couple of bad starts to the season with lack of snow I expect they have to offer those prices to get any business.
As I have a couple of trips planned next year I might start getting some cash to hedge a further fall.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Atomic_Mick,
Last year I went to Bulgaria. This year the same holiday ,same TO, Same hotel, etc is £50 more expensive
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
George Jones wrote:
Look at the number of golf courses that are struggling to survive.

I'm not a golfer so I don't know whether or not some golf courses are closing, but if they are could one of the pressures be the demand for land for housing? If planning permission is available then I guess a golf course would represent a tidy sum if sold to builders?

They're closing because less people are playing golf.

The upside for avid golfers (like me), is that golf clubs are slashing their prices due to lower demand.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most of the "experts" are predicting further falls in the coming months, looking like parity won't be far off.
Rough calculations make a ski holiday 25% more expensive.
How can anyone defend that as inconsequential?
Its catastrophic! And that's only us losing a few hundred euros on a weeks holiday!
Head in sand with a lot of people, mps included
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If sterling exchange rate improves in 2018 there may be a return of U.K skiers who give 2017 a miss.

It could be structural though as with golf.

I am surprised football and subscription TV continue to do so well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikeycharlton wrote:
Atomic_Mick wrote:

Genuine question - where have you seen these deals, and for what destinations are they?

The only deals that I have seen for Xmas week that are <£500 are all for Bulgaria.

Take a look at Crystal's website - saw Soll advertised for £479 leaving on 24th December
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb wrote:
@Atomic_Mick, after a couple of bad starts to the season with lack of snow I expect they have to offer those prices to get any business.
As I have a couple of trips planned next year I might start getting some cash to hedge a further fall.

Well I've just looked at January too and you can get catered chalet deals or half board hotels in Val Di Fassa for £395 - pretty good value i'd say especially as we are still 3 months away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atomic_Mick wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:
Atomic_Mick wrote:

Take a look at Crystal's website - saw Soll advertised for £479 leaving on 24th December

Good find. In fact there is a deal for £400pp to Soll.

I'm trying to find something for a family of 4. It all starts to get a bit crazy price wise once you factor in lift passes/equipment and lessons. No different to anywhere else mind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi everyone,
I'm a currency trader and I'm particularly interested in the direction of the pound against the dollar.

Any how as this thread is pound / Euro, here's a chart on the pound - euro.

From my experience as an analyst I can see that on a yearly basis the pound has been on a downward trend in general since the early '80t's. The recent move up to 1.44 is really over-shadowed by the downward trend of the currency against it's continental neighbors.

Right now with the price is 1.1364, I'd expect some bounce from 1.09 / 1.10 area, *possibly* (when it gets down there in the next few weeks). If it the price is lower then 1.10 last week of December I expect it's going to go to .98, maybe .94 or .91 next year.

At some stage after those number are hit, a return to 1.18 or even 1.28 would be expected. And any return to those higher prices will only be an opportunity to sell. As it's under those levels so much right now.

Summary - 1.10 soon

If it's under 1.10 end of December expect lower.

I'll update this again around Jan 1st, or sooner if there are any significant changes to my analysis. This is just the markets balancing things out.

latest report
@jamtastx, good post.

Thanks
snow report
jamtastx wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm a currency trader and I'm particularly interested in the direction of the pound against the dollar.

Any how as this thread is pound / Euro, here's a chart on the pound - euro.

From my experience as an analyst I can see that on a yearly basis the pound has been on a downward trend in general since the early '80t's. The recent move up to 1.44 is really over-shadowed by the downward trend of the currency against it's continental neighbors.

Right now with the price is 1.1364, I'd expect some bounce from 1.09 / 1.10 area, *possibly* (when it gets down there in the next few weeks). If it the price is lower then 1.10 last week of December I expect it's going to go to .98, maybe .94 or .91 next year.

At some stage after those number are hit, a return to 1.18 or even 1.28 would be expected. And any return to those higher prices will only be an opportunity to sell. As it's under those levels so much right now.

Summary - 1.10 soon

If it's under 1.10 end of December expect lower.

I'll update this again around Jan 1st, or sooner if there are any significant changes to my analysis. This is just the markets balancing things out.

I know it's just speculation but you seem to be an expert so I would value your opinion on the pound to yen rate, I'm saving cash for a February Japan trip, should I exchange the £600 I have now and keep saving or just wait and see and exchange all the savings (around £1.2k) just before I leave?
snow report
Can hardly have been on downward trend against the Euro since ear.y 80s surely?
snow conditions
The would have created an index for the pre Euro period I presume to allow the comparison?
snow conditions
@jamtastx, That makes me cry!! What the hell has this country done to itself.....I really cannot see any benefits at all from this whole nonsense. Learn the hard and painful way!!
latest report
@BMG, +1 Sad
snow report
I am crying too. I am just buying a property in Austria this year to be with my partner and have seen my savings drop alarmingly. Also, working in civil engineering on motorway maintenance, I sense a tightening of the purse strings and am finding it harder to get short term contracts. I will be ok, no real meaningful hardship but there are going to be some tough times ahead with bugger all real gain from what I can see. I can see the people who work for me suffering too as workers rights are eroded. Glad I'm a Kiwi, I may just go home to retire Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Scarpa, go to Austria & retire there! Or why bother retiring? They need civil engineers in Austria too.
snow report
GBP not looking any healthier this morning... Mad
snow report
Don't believe that trading software bug that's being used in the news for the crash.
I have used similar software, you certainly don't leave yourself open to massive swings like that and not for big money.
Fair enough you might have a few speculative bids here and there but they are pennies.
The parameters are number one and usually involve human interaction after say a 2 point swing.
Maybe it's all changed but no way does a bot trade out of parameters and not for amounts like that.

Pure speculation what actually happened but someone knows something and someone got spooked, 100% a human hand behind that sort of swing.
ski holidays
On the plus side it's good for exporters and encourages tourists to the UK
snow report
Instability and uncertainty are pretty bad for everyone. In the most part Brexit as a concept is economically illiterate; the markets are just waking up to an idea that the new PM might actually go through with the suicide note that her predecessor wrote.

Most people have been naively assuming she would find away not to do it, because it is such a bad call.
ski holidays
Pynch, like a fart in a lift, you are wrong on so many levels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frank Spencer, Pynch is referring to the market perception and views. That view doesn't tally with the people that voted out, but doesn't make their view right or wrong. Unless you have a crystal ball and can see the future.

However or whatever we all think, the market is taking a negative view for now and that impacts the cost of our ski holidays. Sad
snow report
Sterling is very volatile and now subject to dangerous drops..

This morning "Flash Crash" dropped 6% in 2mins against $US 😳😳
snow conditions
@Pynch, +1
latest report
And yet life goes on eh

FWIW - I voted Remain - but what's done is done, bleating about it and panicing is not going to help me. Yes I may pay a little more for ski trip due to exchange, but I'll have to live with that. Meanwhile I go to work, get paid and enjoy myself.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, +1

@Boris, That is a very healthy view.

... but, unfortunately, the only reason Brexit happened at all is because ppl like Farage wouldn't stop bleating about it to begin with - like it or not; bleating and whinging have a large role to play in politics.
snow conditions
Pound is insane right now.

My most important gig is worth about €250 less a month now than in April (when pound was already trending down pre-referendum) - dropped €20 overnight, and another €7 since this morning.

-------------

If you had some cash in GBP that you knew you would need in euros by mid-Jan would you bite the bullet and transfer it now, or hold out hope for some temporary positive blip to take advantage of?!
ski holidays
LOL dropped another 30 cents in the time it took to write that ^^
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

If you had some cash in GBP that you knew you would need in euros by mid-Jan would you bite the bullet and transfer it now, or hold out hope for some temporary positive blip to take advantage of?!

Reminds me of a joke"Have you got a crystal ball or do you just walk that way.......?" Madeye-Smiley

Seriously I'll be in a similar situation mid Jan but for CHFs. Sad
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Laughing Laughing

Guess it's time to get some more EUR work on the books...
snow conditions
Well i think because of the last two seasons bad (late) early season snow the very poor exchange rate may deter people even more from taking a trip especially the DIY crowd which is significant.
ski holidays
You know what, I'm not bothered. What will be will be.

*wanders off to crystal web site*
ski holidays
Hmm I actually think the DIY crowd will be the least affected, purely as we tend to be more flexible and dealing direct with chalet owners etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy