Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation: Inside Out Skiing Carving Skills Clinic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I thought I'd give a little run down on a day session with Inside Out because it was a great experience and thought its good to post about them.

First a disclaimer; I've never met or dealt with Inside Out before reading about them on snowHeads so I've no ties other than my experience this week....actually my ties are with snowHeads since being a member here got me a discount (thanks Very Happy )

My wife and I started skiing last year and we are early intermediate skiers and using the Inside Out scale we are about 5 / 6 on ability. I've had 3 weeks on the snow and my wife has had 2, along with about 30 - 40 hours in Hemel. We've had lessons each holiday and we are committed to improving so we've been looking for lessons in the UK and particularly Hemel which is about 1 1/4hrs drive for us.

I'd seen lots of posts from the IOS guys on here so thought we'd see what options they had for lessons and what I really liked was the concept of skills clinics. We're not ready for the moguls clinic so we skipped that one but they were running one for "Carving: using your edges" which seemed perfect for what we want to learn. I thought we might be pushing it a bit on the level 6 but I spoke to Rob prior to the day and he said don't worry he'll tailor the course accordingly. So we booked and yesterday had the day at Hemel having more fun on skis than ever before.

The day started with a warm up, then Rob watched us ski a bit and then we were off. He started by explaining what he wanted us to achieve, why he wanted it, what the results should look like and then what drills and movements we need to do to achieve the desired result followed by video analysis. This worked really well for us because it meant we had a cradle to grave process and the ability to see in slow motion what we did wrong and why. We worked on finding and recognising our edges, engaging the edges cleanly, using them for stability and then increasing speed.

The day was split into 3 x 1.5hr sessions with video review after the first 2. The day was from 10am to 4pm and 3 sessions were plenty since my wife and I were very tired by 4pm, this was highlighted in the unplanned stop manoeuvre on the last run of the day wink

There were 5 of us on the course, all at greatly different levels but we didn't feel at any point that we were at a disadvantage (and hopefully not causing one for the others). Rob would explain, demonstrate and then watch us do. Each lap we completed we were given feedback on how we performed, what aspects needed changing and an technique to employ to help this. Watching the other attendees you could see each of us were given different things to work on to help correct the individual aspect we personally had issues with.

It was an interesting experience because it felt very much like a private lesson, just 5 of them going on at once.

We both very much enjoyed the day, the other attendees were lovely and the instruction top notch. We both feel that our skiing has massively progressed and can already feel the difference, the biggest downside is now we want to go on another one.

Thanks very much Rob and the team, highly recommended.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@djf, I'll second all that! It was a really good clinic with Rob. I was saying to my wife this evening that it was probably the most I've enjoyed skiing away from real mountains. I just didn't want to stop at the end - in fact I didn't, and benefitted from the 4pm lull when I was the only skiier on the slope Smile snowHead
It was nice to meet you and your wife.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haha @Tubaski, you are a machine !!! We went up for a coffee to get our energy back and then did another 30 minutes before giving up and we just watched you go round and round and round. Very impressive, we're still aching now Happy

We're also looking to do the IOS improving speed in September although work might scupper that and we need to get some practice in first.

Great to meet you too, I'm sure to see you there again as I'm hoping to get up there once a week.

All the best
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@djf, glad you enjoyed the day, and I'm really pleased that you thought it was a bit like a private lesson for everyone in the group. That's something we definitely aim for. Thanks for the review, much appreciated.

Hope to see you in September.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar,
Quote:

That's something we definitely aim for
Another vote for your consistent success in achieving this.
Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, can you please teach @Tubaski, some bad habits as his progress needs slowing. He was annoyingly good when I first skied with him and that was only his third day on real snow. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@adithorp, Embarassed (although actually Livigno was my second week in the mountains)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@adithorp, I reckon we just need to beat the enthusiasm out of him, he's got far too much desire to succeed! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SnoodyMcFlude, OK, I'll deal with him and you can sort Dave. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@adithorp, ummmmm, I'm not so sure that's a good idea Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote of confidence from my missus, who did her first improver clinic with @rob@rar today (her birthday present, and the fine suggestion of @spyderjon). She loved it, and said it was much better than previous tuition she'd had.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tubaski wrote:
Another vote of confidence from my missus, who did her first improver clinic with @rob@rar today (her birthday present, and the fine suggestion of @spyderjon). She loved it, and said it was much better than previous tuition she'd had.
Excellent. She's a bit of a natural, have to say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, OK, I'll deal with him and you can sort Dave. wink

Nothing to sort, as its the summer I'm concentrating on the summer toys (Fury). Although might do a Sunday morning in the Fridge soon just to keep my eye in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pigeondave, let me know if you're popping up to Hemel - I'm there most Sunday mornings.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy