Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To blade or not to blade?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody on here blade? What are the pros/cons compared to skiing?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-01-06 19:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pros - manoevrabuility
cons - control, looking like an back bottom based on all the bladers I;ve seen today Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moot_point,

Did you book a Blading or a Skiing Holiday?Are you going to a Blade or a Ski resort? Do you tell people you're going Blading or Skiing? Will you eventually Ski?

Pros: Ease of use
Cons: Ease of use Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-01-06 13:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

manoevrabuility
nbt, and you got the hard bit right, what a shame wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moot_point, Sarcam, shmarcam. I had a few days on blades and with a few buddies, it can be quite a giggle, great with a frisbee. Just wonder if they indeed will eventually stop you skiing? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm doing a three day trip at the end of March. I thought, with it being a short break, that blading might be a nice departure from my usual skiing. I'm told they're great for carving...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moot_point, Slalom skis are awsome for carving. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, frisbee? shades of J Kennedy?

SMALLZOOKEEPER, moot_point, So are GS skis, SG skis and DH skis. You just need to be going adequately quickly...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Moot_point, blades are great fun especially in the bumpy stuff. Do get releasable bindings though. Be prepared for some childish abuse from grown-up skiers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moot_point, yes, blades are good for carving, and learning on. Unfortunately some people are very small minded, and believe that only people who have learned on full race department world cup skis are worthy of being on the slopes. (of course, that is only valid if they now ski K2 Karmas)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, you're a cock. Shame you weren't tempeted by a pizza in Chamonix last night, just a couple of your mates were. Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never tried them but don't see the point if you can ski.
Sure they should turn but can you really get a move on them.... I would imagine they aren't the most stable things at speed.
If they are your only mode of transport around the hill then ok-------ish, but I wouldn't use them otherwise
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER and Wear the fox hat, this is getting to be the most exciting fracas in the site! S delivers a great left hook then W replies with a series of fast jabs. I trawl all posts now looking for more exchanges between these 2 heavyweights. Let the contest continue for many rounds.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've seen a string of hideous leg injuries on bladers, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
snow report
Lizzard, thats why you have to have releasable bindings.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have to add that calling WTFH a c*ck was 'hitting below the belt'. Keep the fight clean please.
snow report
chris, but perhaps WTFH is indeed "le coq sportif"?? Hardly an insult in my book?
ski holidays
So if he calls him a dick next tiime, it might be because he has insider knowledge that WTFH's first name is Richard? Very Happy
ski holidays
Are we still not allowed to call him the mad hatter, for fear of litigation?
ski holidays
Tim Brown, my uncle's a QC don't you know? Very Happy
snow conditions
chris, I'm not a heavyweight, that's why I can ski perfectly well on sub 70mm waist skis.

And it's a shame that name calling is the best that some people can manage. I would hope for a more intelligent level of argument and debate, alas, it appears the lack of oxygen at altitude has addled some brains.
ski holidays
I bought some blades a couple of seasons back and usually have a two or three days on them during a holiday. They are great fun and I find it useful to have them in the locker so that if I'm feeling knackered in the afternoon I can switch. They're also good to use when I'm skiing with my wife who is not so keen on some of the stuff I attempt on skis but is more than happy to tag along looking at me make a complete a*se of myself trying to keep up with her when I'm on blades. I used to do the same with my daughter, but now I can only just stay ahead of her on normal skis Sad
snow report
moot_point,

I think blades are really good fun. I am a skier and have tried boarding. On a weeks skiing it is quite a nice change to slip on a pair of blades and do something different. I often ski when hubbie is on his board especially on the routes in-between the trees.

try them and have some fun!! wink

www.gravite.co.uk
latest report
I have tried skis, snowboard and blades. I was useless at snowboarding and I found the skis really heavy so I actually have my own blades. I find them really easy to use. I am not what you might call a "typical" blader - I am married, in my mid 30's and don't like going very fast! I just find them the most enjoyable thing to use and seeing as being on the snow is supposed to fun, thats why I use them.

Hannah
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, you're a cock. Shame you weren't tempeted by a pizza in Chamonix last night, just a couple of your mates were. Twisted Evil

If I'd been in Chamonix, I would have bought your wife a drink, and offered her my condolences on being married to you.

What part of America were these people from?
snow report
Quote:

the mad hatter

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I will call him this henceforth.
ski holidays
Did moot say "to blade"?
He distinctly said "to blave." And, as we all know, "to blave" means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated...
snow conditions
Lizzard, when it is meant in jest, that is not a problem, when it is said with malise, then it becomes an issue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There were loads of bladers in Champery yesterday - durnig the past few weeks I have seen people struggling all their holiday trying to learn to ski (fool length) Wink - if they had tried blades they might have been able to enjoy the mountain more....

Not as fast on blue runs, still quite fast on reds

My snowboarding "expert" pals managed to get at most about 60m in front of me on normal groomed piste.

On some more interesting parts they left me - due to my nerve rather than the fault of the boards.

I have the salomon 99 with releaseable bindings - I think I will buy a set of Spruce mountain 120's at the beginning of March.

It comes down to what you want to do on the mountain - if you are not in any great rush and you want to come down the mountain with mates then. If you are wanting to push yourself then help your self to the abundance of different skis that are out there.

If you are wanting to learn, try blades first as the learning curve is shorter.....that is according to ESS - if you then want to progress onto skis feel free whatever makes you happy.
latest report
Quote:

malise,

Malice, hatperson.
snow conditions
There is a new craze here in france at the moment for WED'ZE which are basically short ski's 127-132cm - but not as short as blades! They have normal ski bindings so you are not sat up high like on blades. They are 8.55 - 8.65cm wide and come in some really groovy colurs and patterns! they recommend them for beginner skiers - really good for carving turns.

I haven't tried them myself yet - but will let you all know the results if I do! wink

www.gravite.co.uk
snow report
graviteski wrote:
There is a new craze here in france at the moment for WED'ZE which are basically short ski's 127-132cm - but not as short as blades!

I saw that, but it's not new really. The industry's giving it a second push, similar kit was being sold 5 or 6 years ago but didn't seem to catch on.

I should add I saw it Les Arcs not locally of course Very Happy
snow report
I have been using the 127cm skis all season and have raved about them much on other posts. Seem to me they have all the advantages of skis and blades.
ski holidays
A friend an i bought some blades the other year we had a scream on them, we were skiing with a really mixed bunch 3 1 weekers so it meant we could stay with them and enjoy ourselves at the same time because to stay with them on ski's was just no fun after a few days and we didnt like to just go off and leave them or take them down runs they would struggle on so blades where a great compromise given the choice i'd stick to skis but good fun
snow conditions
In a very scientific study last season at the end of a powder day at Kirkwood, myself on blades, a Mountain Operations Foreman on powder skis, and another member of staff on a board set off from the top of Chair 6, down Cham Wall (double Black). The result, blades bet skis and board, and only blades avoided a wipe-out! Cool
snow report
Winterhighland, Good person, out of the people that I go out on the mountain with only the best boarders are able to get to the bottom before me, of the people that use long skis "in our group" they dont come close, there are other skiers on the piste that fly past me of course - but I have only been doing this sport for 8 weeks.

This week I have been going from resort to resort, looking at the different challenges from the runs and also to see the resorts themselves - as such my ability so see black, red, blue runs and nail them is getting better.

I am having a morning off after over doing it a bit - but I will be out with my kids this afternoon, helping them improve, I am just trying to consider getting my older one groms or not, I have not wiped out since last Wednesday either.
ski holidays
obelix67, I did try them off piste in a bowl one day, I think I would have been quicker walking and I certainly would have spent more time upright! From recent reports there may be too much snow for blades in LL next week Very Happy , but they're in the bag just in case snowHead
ski holidays
From the instructors over here that I have been talking to using blades for a day on a weeks vacation should improve your body positioning for long skiing.

I am looking forward to borrowing a long pair of skis later in the season to see how I perform, gotta remember where I left those poles too Wink

Depending on the blades depends on the depth of powder yesterday I was playing in 30cm with less problems than I had earlier in the season, I think my commitment and reaction times are improving avoiding the Osterich situation.

Lean slightly forward - back straight, not hunched - if you put your hands on the top your knees that is an ideal position to start in.......once you get that try just rolling both feet from one edge to the other - a gentle movement - knees leaning over the edge and just let them carve on their own - they will take you for a cruise. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy