Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

El Nino / La Nina

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Curiousity piqued elsewhere I am off trawling the interpipes for snowfall data.

And I came across a rather interesting site and page discussing the effects for North America of El Nino and his sister.

http://bestsnow.net/El_Nino.htm up to date for 2016.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, ...this is a nice bit of work, with good data accumulation over time - shame that the relations only appear significant for predictions in the Southern Californian resorts. Which means that as I stare hopefully up at the sky from our terrace in the Valais, I can't rely on the El Niño numbers to bring the big dumps we want (good for the hills - much skiing - bad for the 63 steps up to our place - much digging). But...I've looked at the El Niño figures before, and they did co-incide for the Huge Dump year of 2010 - a three-times-a-day-clearing-the-steps season. The problem with mountains is that they are very bumpy. This gives massive local effects. Mt Blanc is notorious for its micro-climate - which sounds rather sweet - Ahhhhh....a little micro-climate - but of course brings vicious storms which have claimed many lives and limbs. So too the Valais. I can be seen fuming on the terrace as the snow dumps over the other side of the valley on Grimentz and Zinal, and we have zip. But the tables can be turned with a small re-orientation of the clouds, and we get tons while they get little. Some resorts tend towards huge dumps - Andermatten is one - and it's not just height that does it, it's orientation and location too - Andermatten sits at the head of the Rhone valley and the funnelling effect of SW, moisture-laden air does seem to bring snow assets to that location.

I think at this time of year, poring over research into long term weather effects is a way of dealing with ski-grieving rather than an infallible means of determining which resorts to go to and predicting whether we'll be mud-hopping at Christmas or up to our thighs in fluffiness - but it's fun nonetheless.

I've long developed a fatalistic - it'll be what it'll be - and book the ferry for the afternoon of the final day of Autumn term as always. The kids will be asking how much snow there will be, and we'll certainly be excited if there's snow in the Jura as we go over from Metabief to the border crossing at Jougnes. But Que sera sera - whatever will be, will be....Doris D, pre-eminent weather forecaster....

http://youtube.com/v/azxoVRTwlNg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never forget the true meaning of El Nino

http://youtube.com/v/IvmeUStFvz8

I don't think it ever tells us too much about Euro snow but Nino/Nina patterns can be a useful guide as to where to avoid if planning a US/Canada trip a long way out. Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heard earlier in the year that next season will probably be La Nina, so decided to roadtrip BC in Canada, flights booked vehicle sorted. Generally the ski areas do have more than average snow at these times, but we'll see.

However under no illusions that it may not be as good as it could be so we'll what we get. We were planning on doing this trip again sooner or later, and this seemed like a good opportunity - the loon was very favourable too rolling eyes

The El Nino predicted last season wasn't as great as could be, however it was forecast for more snow in lower Utah etc. We took some days out to Brianhead and Eagle Point - southern Utah, and they had some of their best snowfalls Madeye-Smiley Lucky I guess. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones wrote:
Heard earlier in the year that next season will probably be La Nina, so decided to roadtrip BC in Canada, flights booked vehicle sorted. Generally the ski areas do have more than average snow at these times, but we'll see.

However under no illusions that it may not be as good as it could be so we'll what we get. We were planning on doing this trip again sooner or later, and this seemed like a good opportunity - the loon was very favourable too rolling eyes

The El Nino predicted last season wasn't as great as could be, however it was forecast for more snow in lower Utah etc. We took some days out to Brianhead and Eagle Point - southern Utah, and they had some of their best snowfalls Madeye-Smiley Lucky I guess. Toofy Grin
I seem to recall last year that the Snowbird guys published their records which showed no correlation with anything called El-anything.

In BC... I don't believe there's a correlation. Last season was a 10-year best early on - we were riding stuff I've not ridden for that long because there was plenty of snow, and it'd been laid down in a civilized manner. Later, not so epic.

I gave Utah a miss last season as my mates who live there were up in BC for a reason..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, agreed about the Cottonwoods,snow records wern't their best but not the worst conditions we've seen there, it was warm though in SLC. Watching the snow fall, BC was getting more than expected last season.

We planned this trip for last year but we're unable for a different reasons, hence the trip south for a change, not unpleasant but no need to repeat. Eagle Point fun and bit quirky for a day or so.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like those smaller place - that one is now on my list, should I venture so far south. Brian Head was a very useful "escape from Las Vegas" (== hell) for me.

Aye, my point I suppose is that if anyone knew how to predict snowfall then they'd be making stacks of money from so doing. They don't; they aren't. I do wonder why people muck around with this sort of thing - it's like "nostradamus" or something. Either there's a commercial angle I've not seen or it's just stupid people who couldn't do maths (like our politicians).

I hope the SLC area gets hit this year as I've not been for a while... I'm definitely in the "follow the snow" category.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Living in the PNW one does see the difference between the two. Here La Ninas trend colder and El Ninos warmer. Whether we get more or less moisture is variable, but the temps are influenced. Still hoping the LA Nina comes through with more snow along with the cooler winter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
Watching the snow fall, BC was getting more than expected last season.

Yeah it was a record season in Big White, especially early season. It was still full-on winter right through March and then fizzled out pretty quickly at the end.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few of the last La Nina's in the PNW delivered above avg. snow falls. Although the '15/'16 El Nino delivered some really good conditions. Especially early season. I think of the 40 days on the slopes, I ended up skiing powder, and fresh snow on 38 of 40 days. So, it was one of the best ski seasons I've enjoyed since the 29 meters that fell at Mt. Baker in the '98/'99 season. I would NOT mind another La Nina like that season! Smile

But El Nino was brutal on the folks up in AK in terms of snow conditions. Hoping things reverse, 'cause I want to go back for some proper winter conditions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
duplicate post

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 6-07-16 3:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fingers crossed for an amazing La Nina, had 2 La Nina seasons where even in the valleys we had 3' of snow all winter. Barely plowed the drive once or twice the whole season the last few winters.
Really want to put in some powder highway miles this winter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy