Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any gopro recomendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
looking at getting my first action cam for the next trip. has anyone got the gopro hero? i know its the cheaper end of the spectrum but is it worth buying or should you opt to invest on a more expensive gopro with a screen and wifi etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a hero 3 plus or something. No screen, but i dont think its needed. It has wifi but I've never used it. Basically you point the thing in the right direction and press record. It's got a very wide angle lens so if it's pointing the wrong way by a few degrees it won't matter. Download the clips later to your computer using the cable. If you think the basic one will be ok, I would get that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd echo @Themasterpiece - I have an off-brand "action camera" (NoPro? Go-Am?), and I've recommended to get one of these to all my friends (at about £50 rather than a few hundred pounds) as my personal feeling is that actions cameras of any sort are nice as a bit of a gimmick at first, but ultimately become a bit of a pain.

After they've ended up choosing the more expensive ones, they've then joined me in leaving them back at the hotel after a couple of days!

Sorry, I sound really downbeat and cynical, but I would go for the cheaper one because you'll get some fun out of it, but when / if you lose interest, you won't be as upset that you spent loads on a little toy.

Incidentally, the cheap, off-brand one I have (which, actually, has Wifi and a screen, looks identical to a gopro, and gets great reviews) is called an SJ-4000 if you're interested.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the heads up. Does the wifi function allow you to pair footage straight to an ipad? not having a screen wouldn't bother me ive heard you get better battery life without screens which is more important to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i do think if i got an expensive camera i would end up obsessed with getting the most out of it and not losing it. is it worth buying accessory packs with chest mounts and handheld grips etc? My dad has a denver ac-5000w mk2 helmet cam he bought for 30 quid which he said i could have if i wanted but would need to get accessories for.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it does, it certainly allows you to view live footage through your phone, so I would imagine it would stream / transfer over the wifi as well, though I've never tried using it that way I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul F wrote:
... Does the wifi function allow you to pair footage straight to an ipad? not having a screen wouldn't bother me ive heard you get better battery life without screens which is more important to me.

I'm not sure if Apple allow it, but for Droid...
The main thing you'll use WiFi for is to set the thing up, including monitoring footage. That's fairly hard with the built-in menu system and much easier with the application. You can also download footage, but you're more likely to do that to a machine able to edit 4k or whatever you're shooting. For PCs that's either the (free) GoPro app or Premier Pro etc.

I can't personally see why anyone would need a screen bolted to the back of the camera; that's why they have WiFi. Battery-wise, the WiFi is pretty efficient but also pretty easy to turn off, as you don't need it to shoot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, I bought the GoPro Hero 4 silver, I'm pleased with it, I agree that I could manage without the screen & it uses quite a bit of power, you can turn it off, but it's hard to turn back on as its turned off!
I wouldn't buy one of the cheaper versions without removable batteries, you can carry a spare & just swop it. The wifi is great to connect to my iPad & view the films.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a GoPro Hero 4 and it is amazing... I used to have compaitbility issue with my rubbish android phone (hate those phones they just lock up and so slow thnaks to google spying on me) but works great with iphone
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
looking at getting my first action cam for the next trip. has anyone got the gopro hero? i know its the cheaper end of the spectrum but is it worth buying or should you opt to invest on a more expensive gopro with a screen and wifi etc?

They are all "Heros" aren't they. Looking at the GoPro website they currently have Hero4 Black at £410, Hero4 Silver at £330 and Hero Session at £160.

I bought my son the "Gopro HERO 3 White Edition" for £150 last year after quite a bit of research. That probably equates to the the Session from the looks of it. Seems to have WIFI. I don't think you need the screen. Unless you have plenty of £££ or a real need for the extra quality features I would stick with the basic model. Bear in mind my son was 10 at the time so buying him top of the range was always doubtful. The footage is pretty decent - he doesn't just use it for skiing. I have to say for skiing I like footage from a hand held better in some ways. A combination of the two is ideal if you really want to make a nice film.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
New GoPro5 being released in a couple of weeks. Don't but until then, and you'll have the option of the newest spec or older versions being sold at lower cost.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kingofthec,

I agree.
I have a SJ4000 , was all the whizz when i first got it but now its a pain in the back bottom Smile
I find unless your the resident media recorder of a group or have a keen interest in making videos they lose their appeal very quickly.
i cant even watch my "helmet cam" videos , just the tips of skis and some snow. You get some good shots on the lifts and maybe having a beer but then we have a rule of no video of excessive drinking.

My advice , borrow one , there are millions hid in the back of cupboards all over the UK or buy a £50 jobby and see how you get on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

a pain in the back bottom

Kinda this - every now and again you'll get something but the vast majority of what you'll shoot is, frankly, dull. I still film stuff but mainly just the kids from a pole mount. Filming yourself you only ever get to see your tips and the horizon moving about unless you're in trees - I've been filming for years and never got decent footage of my own riding. And if you're filming other people you always end up compromising your own skiing/riding to keep someone else in frame.

Go for something second hand or cheap and find out if it's something you actually want to do beyond the idea of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy