Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Something for Austria in the next week?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

@Chadspurs40,
It's s coming from a very weak weather front that is passing through the northern Alps over the weekend 😉

Is there any chance that front could intensify?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
😉
Quote:
Is there any chance that front could intensify?

It looks like it may have for Austria if the snow accumulation above is anything to go by
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
18z much better, at least for Austria and eastern Switzerland. What a relief. Everything's going to be alright.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any idea how much Saalbach might get out of that?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The good news is that you don't need any snow in Austria to enjoy yourself, as evidenced by this champion:
http://youtube.com/v/01RQvuamg8s?t=1m4s
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can someone please explain what is creating a poor start to the season in the alps. Is it high pressure or the jet stream ??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes wrote:
Can someone please explain what is creating a poor start to the season in the alps. Is it high pressure or the jet stream ??

Persistent blocking high pressure here Chris, temps are ok just no lows coming in.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So what we need is a change in the jetstream to change the current pattern.
We need something like this.

The Jetstream coming over the English Channel or better France, and ridging the high down to the southwest. I doubt this chart scenario will happen (it is 384 hours away!), but this is what you want to look out for in the jets.

An alternate scenario is the jets over North Africa going further north and dumping moist Genoa lows on the Southern Alps. We don't know yet, but long term charts are focusing on the Genoa Lows scenario.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

EC is holding firm on some falls (5-10cm in the North Alps) on Christmas Day. I am not very confident about this
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jellybeans1000, Not sure that light green suggests 5-10cms. Maybe 2 or 3? And like you say, it doesn't inspire much confidence, given that it's a broken strip of light ppn encroaching on an area of intense high pressure and it doesn't look like getting beyond the first line of mountains...

Still got time for things to change though, and plenty of uncertainty over tracks / intensities / etc.. 18z showed that already this evening.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hoping it's snow for northern Alps, but right now most weather sites I'm checking are forecasting rain in Arlberg. Bah!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WellingtonBoot wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, Not sure that light green suggests 5-10cms. Maybe 2 or 3? And like you say, it doesn't inspire much confidence, given that it's a broken strip of light ppn encroaching on an area of intense high pressure and it doesn't look like getting beyond the first line of mountains...

Still got time for things to change though, and plenty of uncertainty over tracks / intensities / etc.. 18z showed that already this evening.

If it's inches of rain he may be right...?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well daylight hours start lengthening from here.

Hopefully the old adage is right, 'as the days get longer the cold gets stronger'. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
downhillalltheway wrote:
I will be in Ischgl from Friday until 2nd Jan. Slopes will open over Christmas as it gets busier. All runs have good cannon coverage. Last year was exactly the same. Skiing will be absolutely fine.

the PizValGronda lift is showing open but the slope 42 from it closed - that's supposed to be one of the best runs - is that likely to be covered by cannon/open in January?
snow report
Turin
latest report
Winter solstice is at 1044 GMT today.
snow report
Hi weather Gods / Guru's (Yes flattery helps!).......as a total newbie to the site, with my first ever winter holiday being Meribel-Mottaret on the 15th of January I have been following this thread for weeks with both fear (of all the doom & gloom) and incredible interest.....it has taught me a lot! So thank you.

Whilst I can see that there is likely to be little hope of major snow between now and when we go, given that we will be on piste only for lessons etc (as only have approx. 20 hrs experience in snow dome), will the manufactured pistes they have currently last if no further snow? i.e. whats the likelihood of there being a really bad Foehn that thaws the lot? I assume up high not an issue?

With the forecast being so dire, I am now trying to allay my wife's fear that it will all melt and our holiday will be cancelled!!!!!
snow conditions
@Drew Carey, anything beyond seven days is always very uncertain.

You might just pick up a trend beyond that, but it needs to be repeated to take seriously. Following just one run or even a handful in FI or a single snapshot and claiming this is indicative of anything is just pointless noise.

If it doesn't start coming into focus in the five to seven day period with cross model support it remains an unlikely outcome.

So what does that mean? It means that on the reliable timeframe the forecast is pretty much as it has been all month (ie a continuation of high pressure and dry conditions with occasional exceptions).

It also means that the forecast 25 days ahead is extremely unclear!

By that time we could well be in a completely different weather pattern. There could be cold and snow, there could be rain and wind. But just be rather wary of anyone he is claiming with any sort of confidence that they know!
ski holidays
Meteo Swiss: Some feeble weather systems will transit the Alps at the weekend, without bringing much needed snow to the ski resorts

(expectation is 2 to 3 cm)

> whats the likelihood of there being a really bad Foehn that thaws the lot? I assume up high not an issue?

Not that likely. It is man made snow below 1800/2000m which is very resilient.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 21-12-16 10:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen Cheers for the reply, that's my current feeling - anything can happen in the timeframe. Just lots of negativity around and hard not to get concerned. To be honest, providing pistes are ok, then I know we will have a blast - would be nice if everything had a sprinkle for aesthetics, but not a major concern.
latest report
Three weeks to go, Drew - every chance of major weather events in your favour! In any case, Mottaret will be just fine I'm sure. You wont believe what they can do with snowmaking and a bit of natural - envy you your first trip - its the best!
snow report
Quote:

Whilst I can see that there is likely to be little hope of major snow between now and when we go, given that we will be on piste only for lessons etc (as only have approx. 20 hrs experience in snow dome), will the manufactured pistes they have currently last if no further snow? i.e. whats the likelihood of there being a really bad Foehn that thaws the lot? I assume up high not an issue?

1. We are going out on 14th and there is plenty of time for the whole picture to change in 3 weeks. It is highly likely that there will be snow in this timescale. Current forecasts can't say much about anything beyond December apart from "It's winter, it will be cold most of the time". There have been a few dry early seasons the last few years. In each case there has been good snow early to mid Jan.

2. Meribel is part of a huge area with very high parts. Beginner pistes will be maintained pretty much whatever the weather does. The current blocking high tends towards low temperatures on clear nights which helps making artificial snow. Any damage from a warm spell could be repaired.

Enjoy and don't stress!
snow report
Cheers everyone for the confidence boosting. Need to try and stop looking at webcams / forecast sites etc!!!! Laughing

Easier said than done!
ski holidays
Eastern Europe, Poland etc., due a cold snap the next few days.

Western Europe still struggling. This is Megeve, France, looking grim today:

latest report
is that top of Mony Joly where the Folie Deuce is ??
snow report
Niseko, Japan, off to a good start.

Video from a few days ago, posted by Mike Pow on the Japan thread.

Superstition - Niseko Village, 17 December 2016 from 360niseko
https://vimeo.com/196113793
ski holidays
No joy from the 6z gfs for meribel..

Drew - I'm in mottaret for Christmas, and while there isn't much natural or fresh snow in the village, a quick chair up to 2400 sort of level will see you enjoying really nice conditions. Just enjoy it..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been skiing in Austria since the second week in November and the pistes have been some of the best I've experienced with the massive investment in man made snow capabilities plus the natural top ups. I would love to have more real snow on the mountains but I guess I can't really complain. As long as there are cold nights most resorts can do wonders with the cannons.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Eastern Europe, Poland etc., due a cold snap the next few days.

Western Europe still struggling. This is Megeve, France, looking grim today:

have some friends in Megeve this week, they are not happy campers to be honest, especially as last week French TV was still on the "best start for years to ski season" #fakenews.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I've been skiing in Austria since the second week in November and the pistes have been some of the best I've experienced with the massive investment in man made snow capabilities plus the natural top ups. I would love to have more real snow on the mountains but I guess I can't really complain. As long as there are cold nights most resorts can do wonders with the cannons.

It is said that the Italians are the best at snow making with the Austrians a very very close second. (Even Obergurgl has loads of snow making capability, much of it mobile machines rather than fixed installations). I get the impression that some French resorts are struggling because they haven't made the same investment. Is this the case?
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

It is said that the Italians are the best at snow making with the Austrians a very very close second. (Even Obergurgl has loads of snow making capability, much of it mobile machines rather than fixed installations). I get the impression that some French resorts are struggling because they haven't made the same investment. Is this the case?

Not sure how Italy could be up there. In my opinion they don't have anything like the capability of Austria. For me this is what really differentiates Austria from France and other countries. Huge investment in the infrastructure and an incredibly positive and welcoming approach to visitors given that Tourism is such a key element of their whole economy.
snow conditions
@Drew Carey, we have an idea of what will happen in the next couple of weeks. It looks better for Southern Europe on predictions from EC and CFS. But IMHO, there is a similar chance of cooler winds to the North meaning more snow for the Northern Alps. The charts have been unseasonably inaccurate from past approx 5 days. But when we get into proper winter, if we ever do, the charts will become much more accurate to 10 days and further in some cases. Trends over 24 hours, even better a few days, are the best way to see confidence levels rise.

By the time you get there, some patterns will have changed in particular Negative NAO and AO around the 28th.

I will do an update into the long term in the next couple of days.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-12-16 12:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
downhillalltheway wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Not sure how Italy could be up there. In my opinion they don't have anything like the capability of Austria. For me this is what really differentiates Austria from France and other countries. Huge investment in the infrastructure and an incredibly positive and welcoming approach to visitors given that Tourism is such a key element of their whole economy.

Read it about the Sella Ronda.

Agree about Austria - wouldn't go elsewhere. Austria leads on lifts as well - many resorts have mostly fast chairs and gondolas.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Yep, the Italians do seem to have it sussed too, the 12 Dolomiti Superski areas in NE Italy currently have a total 855km of piste open, about 75% of the total available, almost entirely on artificial snow, as it hasn't snowed more than a dusting in the region for about a month.

They have invested heavily in the infrastructure even going so far as burying subterranean catchment reservoirs on the mountain.

http://www.impianticolfosco.com/it/referenze/impianti-di-innevamento.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 21-12-16 11:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Japan is doing about average for this time of year.
North America is doing about above average for this time of year.
Europe is doing about below average for this time of year.
Glad I'm off to North America Very Happy
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
French resorts are struggling because they haven't made the same investment. Is this the case?

because they haven't had to, apart from the last 3 years start of seasons. French resorts, which are generally higher than Austria albeit warmer. They have been ok and snowmaking has been viewed as something needed to repair high wear sections of pistes rather than snowmaking the whole resort. Over the last 30 years there has usually been real snow at resort level from the first week of December and for a lot of French resorts the second half of November has been skiable. At one time places like l'Alpe d'Huez, Val Thorens etc would open on October weekends with good conditions.

You also have to remember that snowmaking is extremely expensive. A 5km run, 20 meters wide (which is not much) with 40 cm of snow would cost around 50,000 euros to cover with man made snow. If it is just a temporary thing or to create some base on some resort runs then that might be acceptable but you have to wonder whether a lot of resorts are sustainable given that many guests don't want to ski on a narrow strip of man made snow (so less visitors - we can see that this Christmas) and the costs of man made snow. They certainly wouldn't want to pay increased ticket prices for the privilege.

The Rhone-Alpes region has a plan to invest 200 million euros in snowmaking but the government bank (the CDD - which set up the Compagnie des Alpes) has just baulked at a plan for Chamrousse saying that skiing is a bad investment and unsustainable in all but the highest French ski areas.
latest report
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
@Drew Carey, we have an idea of what will happen in the next couple of weeks. It looks better for Southern Europe on predictions from EC and CFS. But IMHO, there is a similar chance of cooler winds to the North meaning more snow for the Northern Alps. The charts have been unseasonably inaccurate from past approx 5 days. But when we get into proper winter, if we ever do, the charts will become much more accurate to 10 days and further in some cases. Trends over 24 hours, even better a few days, are the best way to see confidence levels rise.

By the time you get there, some patterns will have changed in particular Negative NAO and AO around the 28th.

Cheers for the positivity.....does help. On a separate note, the amount I am learning from this tread (and wider reading) is superb. It's made me have a new found appreciation for the art of weather prediction!! Happy
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
French resorts are struggling because they haven't made the same investment. Is this the case?

because they haven't had to, apart from the last 3 years start of seasons. French resorts, which are generally higher than Austria albeit warmer. They have been ok and snowmaking has been viewed as something needed to repair high wear sections of pistes rather than snowmaking the whole resort. Over the last 30 years there has usually been real snow at resort level from the first week of December and for a lot of French resorts the second half of November has been skiable. At one time places like l'Alpe d'Huez, Val Thorens etc would open on October weekends with good conditions.

You also have to remember that snowmaking is extremely expensive. A 5km run, 20 meters wide (which is not much) with 40 cm of snow would cost around 50,000 euros to cover with man made snow. If it is just a temporary thing or to create some base on some resort runs then that might be acceptable but you have to wonder whether a lot of resorts are sustainable given that many guests don't want to ski on a narrow strip of man made snow (so less visitors - we can see that this Christmas) and the costs of man made snow. They certainly wouldn't want to pay increased ticket prices for the privilege.

The Rhone-Alpes region has a plan to invest 200 million euros in snowmaking but the government bank (the CDD - which set up the Compagnie des Alpes) has just baulked at a plan for Chamrousse saying that skiing is a bad investment and unsustainable in all but the highest French ski areas.

Thanks for that - but by the French logic (height) Obergurgl and Ischgl wouldn't have many cannon as their heights are similar to France - almost all skiing between 2000m and 3000m - (and further east to boot). But they are now effectively snow sure resorts so guess where I am heading this year- investment gets visitors and ROI.

I believe that artificial snow makes an excellent base as well - am I correct - I guess that's why Obergurgl uses it - for length of season?
snow report
@davidof, this is very interesting and I had no idea if the running cost of production. I wonder if there are any profitability stats for the Austrian resorts that have used it for some years?

Of course the snow making needs low temps which we have been lucky with this year (although rain forecast in some Austrian resorts this weekend).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy