Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@dswordsmith, well your East Coast friends will fell right at home! Twisted Evil

Chums were up in Flaine Sunday and said it was really rather fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Womens grand slalom stopped in Courchevel today due to High Winds.. (clear skies tho' )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Earlier in this thread I was advised western Italy was best bet for my niece in her camper, chasing the snow. This is Sauze d'Oulx!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone in the Alp D'Huez area, that can report on weather and conditions? Go there in just under a month and looking at reports, forecasts and webcams, it's not looking too good, although plenty of time for that to change...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Uundoubtedly fairly major downgrade this morning by ECM. It's been so consistent with Christmas snow over the past week, and now it suddenly strengthens the high, shifts the energy North and takes it all away, including the Boxing Day snow, which always looked the most promising (perhaps because it was the furthest away...). If the 0z ECM came to pass, any decent-ish snow would likely to be confined to the Arlberg and perhaps a couple of other lucky spots on the front ranges. Dry for most of the Alps.

As has been said, there is significant inconsistency among the models currently, and small changes can still have a big impact in terms of snowfall, so the situation isn't entirely hopeless, but a look at the ensembles isn't too encouraging, especially for the non-northern French Alps. Still, a decent chance of a small fall at some point over Christmas for many places.

Morzine:

Chamonix:

Val D'Isere:

Verbier:

Wengen:

St Moritz:

St Anton:

Kitzbuehl:
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt and Verbier trip for late January. I'm beginning to regret leaving the US for the awesome terrain in the alps. I'm used to Whistlers finicky weather but this is very discouraging.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like the Alps snowfall of the past 2 days has been much smaller than expected.

Zermatt, right in the eye of the storm, was expecting a foot or two... but got an inch or two. Town still very brown / green / bare today.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ptspeak wrote:
Zermatt and Verbier trip for late January. I'm beginning to regret leaving the US for the awesome terrain in the alps. I'm used to Whistlers finicky weather but this is very discouraging.

Rode at Verbier on Saturday. The area is in excellent shape considering and we had a lot of fun. Late Jan is a long way away and there'll be more snow before then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow Hound wrote:
Ptspeak wrote:

Rode at Verbier on Saturday. The area is in excellent shape considering and we had a lot of fun. Late Jan is a long way away and there'll be more snow before then.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, looking at the weather to ski twitter feed the most intense snow is much further south than zermatt, with parts of the italian piedmont clocking over a metre of new snow.

Plus for a southern storm cervinia would reliably pick up more snow than zermatt...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, Wow. I thought Zermatt already had snow around from the last storm. Nowhere can catch a break at the moment.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow Hound wrote:
Ptspeak wrote:

Thank you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitegold, Zermatt town was never forecast for snow (only some rain) so this was as expected. Some warmer temperatures coming once the storm finishes so let's take stock at the end of the week. There's no doubt some places though will have some very nice snow conditions for the next few days including Mondole, Limone, Isola, Milky Way, among a few others.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some Mondole webcams here: http://artesina.it/page.asp?pg=webcam
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just wondering if any of the forecasters can offer any hope for the Northern Alps (la plagne) in the next 10 days? Heading out on 31st Dec and at the moment its looking pretty bleak. Thanks
snow report
bhs1922 wrote:
Just wondering if any of the forecasters can offer any hope for the Northern Alps (la plagne) in the next 10 days? Heading out on 31st Dec and at the moment its looking pretty bleak. Thanks

Same, we're heading to Les Gets on Monday, looking unhopeful at the minute!
snow report
When you're looking 10 days out, and with so much uncertainty, there's always hope!!!!
snow conditions
There's quite a lot open in La Plange already. I'm guessing it was lovely there today - I know I'd rather have been there than in a cupboard in Great Dunmow.
snow report
could have been worse snowhound...you could have been in a cupboard in Harlow like me!!!!!!!!! LOL
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
.....Zermatt, right in the eye of the storm, was expecting a foot or two... but got an inch or two.....

And silly old me thought the centre of the low was nigh on over Genoa ??

But know what you mean about lack of snow, this was today up near the Lautaret (2,100m) rolling eyes

And even though the wind's trashed a fair amount of the terrain, that made for some very dense wind blown powder stashes!

PS That's a dog right on my heel.

rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-12-16 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Whitegold, when was Zermatt ever forecast to be in the "eye of the storm"?
latest report
I was pretty much ready for the boxing day snow in the 3v, now it's gone.. these dastardly models..! Leave for meribel on Thursday night.. fingers crossed!
snow conditions
Bergflex is still showing snow in Zillertal 25-27th. Snow forecast is showing rain/snow. Along way out so trying not to get my hopes up.
ski holidays
Just arrived in Hinterglemm. Got an hour in this afternoon, pistes are good, but the light wind was very warm.
snow report
Great news @hammerite, I'm there in 2 weeks and am just hoping that the snow survives the warmer weather forecast over the next few days, and hopefully gets a bit of top up before new year.
snow conditions
Now it's dark it is getting very cold very quickly @Handy Turnip,
ski holidays
Excellent!!! Hope they keep those cannons blasting! snowHead
snow conditions
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Bergflex is still showing snow in Zillertal 25-27th. Snow forecast is showing rain/snow. Along way out so trying not to get my hopes up.

Bergfex showing bug all snow in Ischgl over 9 days (2inches), but Snowforecast now showing a foot on Xmas/Boxing Day...

Luckily there seems to be reasonable cover on the cams and the lower resort runs have been making snow for days.

First visit there in 2.5weeks; glad I went high...

Resort not 100% open - wondering if the slopes not open don't have cannon, or that the resort isn't busy enough yet to warrant sorting them out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will be in Ischgl from Friday until 2nd Jan. Slopes will open over Christmas as it gets busier. All runs have good cannon coverage. Last year was exactly the same. Skiing will be absolutely fine.
latest report
Despite various FI willo the wisps...

http://youtube.com/v/7a__LjZqkr8

We are still faced with a continuation of the situation that we have had pretty much all month bar the recent snow in the SW Alps. In the reliable outlook things are pretty dry.
snow report
As pointed out on another thread, Mzaar, Lebanon, the biggest ski resort in the Middle East, got blasted with 50-100cm of fresho the past few days.

ski holidays
Have a mate who has just skied in Lebanon today, excellent conditions he says.[/img]
snow report
@Whitegold, maybe the recent Genoa low that you thought was centered over Zermatt moved further East than predicted then rolling eyes
snow report
I think perhaps rather than being sarcastic, some would do well to appreciate that a number of people on here spend a lot of money skiing in the Alps, often once a year for a big holiday and reading this thread they feel rather depressed. Yes they do not need to read this and yes people can be unrealistic but this is human nature and cutting them some slack rather than p*ss taking might be kinder.

The sarcasm is not appreciated, but the forecasts from the knowledgeable ones most certainly are, thanks to those.
ski holidays
Precipitation against the average for December for Bourg.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/precipitation/sn07497_30.gif

Should add that doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had, but just to illustrate how very dry it has been against the norm...
ski holidays
Thanks for the sentiments Mr Merc. Many people such as myself save hard and sacrifice through the year to get our once a year skiing escape. Perhaps we're a bit nuts putting our holiday happiness in the hands of the weather gods but as we all know, when it all works out it's worth it.
snow report
Sarcasm appreciated here... as you were, chaps wink
ski holidays
Anyone have any idea where the Xmas eve snow some sites have (metcheck for example) is coming from...? Specifically forecast for meribel but not sure where else..
ski holidays
Chadspurs40 wrote:
Anyone have any idea where the Xmas eve snow some sites have (metcheck for example) is coming from...?

The sky?
ski holidays
@Chadspurs40,
It's s coming from a very weak weather front that is passing through the northern Alps over the weekend 😉
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy