Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
No precipitation on the cards according to Chamonix meteo. And massive inversion will make for best snowmaking on the lowest slopes! wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yr.no looking to predict a dusting in Tignes next week....
see:
https://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Tignes/long.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Within the reliable time frame 00z GFS is indicating a very dry outlook except in western Italy and the eastern Pyrenees.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At least it's looking cold enough for snow showers over the tops, here in the U.K. next week.
Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

25th December looks great on EC for the Western Alps and on GFS it looks like a fizzer
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some longer term thoughts from Matt Hugo (@MattHugo81) who is worth a follow.

"Fascinating EC32 update which still signals blocking over & to the N or NW of the UK into Jan. Either on to something or swing-and -a-miss!"

"Personally this is a real test of the credibility of the EC Monthly now. If this doesnt happen then that will be a Dec and Jan failure..."

And a good gif from Liam Dutton showing how unreliable forecasts are for the Christmas period at present.

https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/809014926580793344
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
damn, cant post this image

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 17-12-16 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 17-12-16 10:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
notnats wrote:
damn, cant post this image

Are you doing it through...

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/index.php/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A niece and family in a camper van are heading down tomorrow. They are thinking Italy. What's best down there?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, Go West. At least from mid week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A netweather's take http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7842;sess=
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
A niece and family in a camper van are heading down tomorrow. They are thinking Italy. What's best down there?

The Adriatic?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, have followed Hugo's work for some time now. Several other meterologists have noted climatology says that blocking occurs with a strong polar vortex. Following the climate signals, EC Monthly's move is quite predictable. This can only mean a better more snowy new year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Add in the chance of a Negative NAO and a much better jetstream for Europe after Christmas, and it looks much better
ski holidays
Here's WRF's current take on midweek snowfall primarily in western Italy.

Tuesday 12z http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=90#model

Tuesday15z
http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=93#model

Tuesday18z
http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=96#model

Tuesday21z
http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=99#model

Wednesday00z
http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=102#model

Before that there looks like being a band of weak snow through central Austria tomorrow night.

Monday00z
http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=54#model
latest report
Looks like 10-20cm for Western Italy , Tuesday and Wednesday
latest report
@Jellybeans1000, a strong polar vortex tends to lead to less blocking and a positive AO and NAO.

A negative NAO can be good for colder weather, but can also block moisture from reaching the Alps. Depending where the high pressure sits.
snow report
@Jellybeans1000, Yep, the GFS/ECM divergence continues, particularly for the northern Alps. I'm nervous to see which way this goes. ECM continues to churn out good runs delivering snow all over, including Austria and the northern Alps during Christmas. Seems like GFS has been trending away from that over the past day or two.

I'm happy it's that way round (ECM showing the scenario I want) rather than the other, but having seen these blocks push things back over and over before, I'm not terribly confident that it's all going to work out.

In the meantime, the 0z and 6z GFS have slightly amped up the intensity and westward reach of the Sunday night system from the North, so that's something to watch for most Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
@Jellybeans1000, Potential for much more than 10-20cm in western Italy, but I guess you're being conservative. As has been said before, we won't know until it's on the ground, and even then....
snow conditions
Quote:

@Jellybeans1000, a strong polar vortex tends to lead to less blocking and a positive AO and NAO.

A negative NAO can be good for colder weather, but can also block moisture from reaching the Alps. Depending where the high pressure sits.

Yes. I guess the confusion might be coming from the fact that sometimes a strong but amplified jet contributes to strong northern blocking.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

Here's an opinion from a meteorologist from another forum about current conditions.

"With the vortex strengthening it only a matter of time before a blocking pattern setup and takes
hold in the Atlantic. And the west flow abates and low pressure builds over eastern europe,
as it always does. Strong vortex = blocking/and good snow over all europe.
Weak vortex suits the USA thats the bottom line."

Will answer better in the Australian morning
latest report
WellingtonBoot wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, Yep, the GFS/ECM divergence continues, particularly for the northern Alps. I'm nervous to see which way this goes. ECM continues to churn out good runs delivering snow all over, including Austria and the northern Alps during Christmas. Seems like GFS has been trending away from that over the past day or two.

I'm happy it's that way round (ECM showing the scenario I want) rather than the other, but having seen these blocks push things back over and over before, I'm not terribly confident that it's all going to work out.

In the meantime, the 0z and 6z GFS have slightly amped up the intensity and westward reach of the Sunday night system from the North, so that's something to watch for most Austrian resorts.

Which of the more useable engines uses ECM? Bergfex shows a small amount on Xmas day (is that ECM then - can't see beyond 9 days with Bergfex). Snowforecast(skiclub) must use the GFS as that shows the odd shower in 2 or 3 days time (for Ischgl).
snow report
Not sure who you are quoting, but the simple statement that a strong vortex equals blocking and good snow over all Europe is over simplistic for two reasons. One that a strong polar vortex does not equal blocking rather the opposite and blocking does not automatically lead to good snow conditions all over Europe, it being completely contingent on where the blocking sets up. A -NAO can lead to a very cold but parched northern Alps and very snowy southern Alps. +NAO tends to favour a milder more Atlantic flow which can lead to very heavy snow in the northern Alps (though at times stormy and mild) and dry conditions in the southern Alps.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, anything as far out as Christmas Day is too unreliable at this stage to take seriously as the difference in outputs between GFS and ECM shows.
snow conditions
WellingtonBoot wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, Potential for much more than 10-20cm in western Italy, but I guess you're being conservative. As has been said before, we won't know until it's on the ground, and even then....

I'd agree. At this stage I'd anticipate more like 30-50cms in the Aosta Valley for example. Though of course all the usual caveats apply.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@buchanan101, anything as far out as Christmas Day is too unreliable at this stage to take seriously as the difference in outputs between GFS and ECM shows.

I know - just that someone said the two models/engines diverged so was trying to get the them in readable forms (i.e. Bergfex, snowforecast etc). If I have two different front ends i can "see" the two engines. I _think_ Bergfex and snowforecast (Skiclub) are different background engines
latest report
@buchanan101, the vast majority use GFS certainly snowforecast.com.

Yr.no (Norwegian) uses ECM. http://om.yr.no/about/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trying to find some data on the NASA / GEOS model....seems relatively new and so probably doesn't have much of a track record built up?
It's definitely in the ECM camp for the 25th, fulfilling my confirmation bias search for something more positive than 6z GFS.

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@buchanan101, the vast majority use GFS certainly snowforecast.com.

Yr.no (Norwegian) uses ECM. http://om.yr.no/about/

Thanks - snowforecast and bergfex have different forecasts, so it seems bergfex may not be using GFS - I seem to recall someone saying it may be a different model again (and is just Austrian based I believe)
ski holidays
@buchanan101, Bergfex uses ZAMG data. ZAMG is the Austrian meteorological service and is part of ECMWF.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@buchanan101, Bergfex uses ZAMG data. ZAMG is the Austrian meteorological service and is part of ECMWF.

Thanks! - so I have two different accessible front ends for the two main engines.

Neither showing much at all for Ischgl for 9 days however; still the conditions look good on the webcams, and it's cold enough...
snow conditions
WellingtonBoot wrote:
Yes. I guess the confusion might be coming from the fact that sometimes a strong but amplified jet contributes to strong northern blocking.

Talking at cross purposes in some way or another I imagine.

Anyway this is quite a clear article on the relationship.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/how-polar-vortex-related-arctic-oscillation
ski holidays
I'm off to Madonna next saturday - I've seen a few mentions of possible snow for western Italy - is Madonna too far east/north for this? The official website is forecasting sunny and dry for the next week.
latest report
@Atomic_Mick, too far east.
ski holidays
What I can't fathom is how Sestriere is forecast to have such a large dump on Tuesday and yet L2A, Alpe D'huez etc, just over the border, miss out.
ski holidays
mr_merc wrote:
What I can't fathom is how Sestriere is forecast to have such a large dump on Tuesday and yet L2A, Alpe D'huez etc, just over the border, miss out.

Did you do geography at school?

here, maybe this will help?

ski holidays
@davidof, that came across as very patronising
latest report
davidof wrote:
pam w wrote:

The Adriatic?

No, the Pacific! As in the Pacific NW! wink
snow report
@davidof that's patronising, particularly as I had an A in Geography at A level. I'm not sure how not knowing the topography of sestriere and L2A etc. signposts that I didn't 'do geography'. I was wanting an answer from an expert. Shame.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 17-12-16 17:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy