Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck to SkiWelt Transfers

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my 15 yr old son to Scheffau next Feb Half Term. We have flights and hotel booked, now need to sort out how we transfer from Innsbruck airport. We arrive on a Monday, depart on Saturday.

Return transfers from the airport are being quoted at £200ish for 2 of us (some quotes are much more). Seems crazy money.

We could get the train from Innsbruck to Kufstein (£50) and jump in a taxi. Has anyone done this and have any idea of price?

Or we could hire a car from the airport. I'm slightly put off by the issue of ridiculous insurance excesses and / or the legal? need to carry snow chains, the hassle of fitting them, not to mention the 20 eur per day cost.

Any thoughts / hints / tips.

Cheers
Simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you would be better off taking the train from Innsbrtuck to Worgl rather than Kufstein. A shorter trip, that leaves you about the same distance from Scheffau with more options.

From there you could get a taxi (€45-€55 according to http://www.rome2rio.com/s/W%C3%B6rgl/Scheffau-am-Wilden-Kaiser), or you could use the Postbus (€4.50).

Kufstein is actually cheaper for Taxi according to that site (€40-€50), but if you wanted to use teh bus, Worgl is definietly better, as a change would be needed from Kufstein.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alex, does everyone feel that car hire is becoming more hassle / risk than it's worth?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd recommend the train. The Austrian ones, in particular, are great.
Low fares, comfortable seats, lovely views and tasty food and drink.
Plus it's safer, and you're causing less pollution than whizzing to the resort in a car.
The SkiRail Map of the Alps is a pretty useful tool for route planning.
www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TopGooner, You could look at a transfer - I used this company last season to get from Salzburg to Soll:

http://advanced.shuttledirect.com/searchresults
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote for the shuttle via that link is £220. That's nearly as much as the flights Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TopGooner, there is no requirement to hire snow chains in Austria. See https://www.europcar.com/driving-abroad-in-winter-conditions

It's a one hour drive along the valley floor, descending from Innsbruck at 765m to the valley floor at around 500m and then back up to Scheffau at 750m. The likelihood is that if you rented chains, you'd never use them. There will be about 1 day in 5 years when you would need them on that journey, unless of course your accommodation is here.

If you are worried about the excess, insure against it - companies like https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection at £38 for a year, or £2 per day, so £14 for a 7-day hire. Most airport hire companies will be more than that for a day...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I'd want a snowcat if I was staying in that location! No risk of noisy neighbours though Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TopGooner, you can get a train from Innsbruck to Westendorf! Takes an hour or so atm, but the timetable will change for winter: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=21&OK#focus

Mind the train station is a bit out of the village (at least the resort part of the village), so you'd still want a taxi from there unless your hotel can pick you up.

EDIT: Sorry, you wrote SkiWelt and Scheffau and somehow I read Westendorf Laughing Probably not much point training it to Westendorf if going to Scheffau.

The SkiWelt seem to organise their own transfers though. ~£160 return: http://www.skiwelt.at/en/airport-shuttle-to-the-skiwelt.html

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 14-06-16 13:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TopGooner, Definitely get the train. Dead easy, quite cheap, only takes an hour or so, either to Worgl or as Clarky999 says to Westendorf.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tricky this. I would need to get a bus (or taxi) from the airport to Innsbruck station 15 mins, then the train 45 mins then a bus or taxi from the nearest station (Worgl or Kufstein) to the hotel in Scheffau. The bus from Worgl is another 40 mins in no traffic. So it could easily be a 2 hour transfer. Versus an hour's drive in a hire car.

I do like the idea of getting the train as it would probably be less stressful but I'm not so sure with the bus or taxi either end.

One key thing is that we would like to ski the afternoon on the day we arrive, so time is of the essence. It looks like it would be a fair bit cheaper and faster to hire a car. The excess insurance is a good idea. I just need comfort that we can do without paying 100EUR to hire snow chains. The hire car is winterized and therefore should have winter tyres.

I've been nicked in Austria before for not having a vignette (had never heard of it) and therefore know first hand how the local police like to hand out fines.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bus F between airport and main station is easy. Couple of € and runs every 20 mins or something. not sure if you buy the ticket before getting on or from the driver (I'd assume before).

Rental car will have the vignette. It's those flying to Munich that have that issue.

Never been to Scheffau, but certainly between airport and Wörgl turn off on the autobahn, if you need chains, you won't be getting anywhere very fast. It's a flat valley.

I'd take the train, and not stress. Unless you like the idea of driving to other resorts daily.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the input everyone. Much appreciated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it was me I'd rent a car. Most of the Scheffau accommodation is a 5 minute drive from the gondola and there is a ski bus but it might only be hourly from memory. It's also a little bit limited for food options and you might want to pop down to Soll or Ellmau.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good point. Is there still no ski bus service linking the villages together?
snow report
I really can't remember what is connecting Scheffau to the other villages and how long it runs for. I do remember that on one occasion that I had a sleep in and missed my lift to the gondola that the ski bus stopped for a very long lunch.

I wouldn't bother with chains. The winter tyres are essential for insurance but I assume you would get that anyway with renting in Austria at that time of the year without asking for them or paying extra. The approach from Worgl would be easier than the Kufstein approach if you drive and it's also shorter. Driving in Austria is easy. Just remember to move back in after overtaking and you'll be fine.

I'd guess a taxi would be €30-40 from either Worgl or Kufstein.
latest report
In your situation my decision would depend a bit on the car parking facilities at my destination. Either the train or a rental car sounds pretty easy. Look at skiing on your day of arrival as a lucky bonus - don't stress if it looks like not happening.

Transfers, by the way, are often more costly than flights! Something often overlooked when people cost DIY versus a package.
latest report
@TopGooner, investigate your options but hold fire on booking anything Innsbruck can be a bit like Chambery and charter flights are often diverted to Munich in bad wether.
ski holidays
Wow - didn't know that. I assume my holiday insurance would cover me if I had to cancel the car booking from Innsbruck and get one from Munich.
snow report
Sorry @Samerberg Sue but I can't agree with that... Obviously anecdotal, butI guess I've flown in/out of Innsbruck more than most people (probably around 30 times in the last 6 years alone, so 60 flights involving that airport) and I've been delayed once (by about an hour) and never diverted. I think it's pretty safe to book...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Sorry @Samerberg Sue but I can't agree with that... Obviously anecdotal, butI guess I've flown in/out of Innsbruck more than most people (probably around 30 times in the last 6 years alone, so 60 flights involving that airport) and I've been delayed once (by about an hour) and never diverted. I think it's pretty safe to book...

But which airlines were your flights with?

It seems that UK based charter airlines divert from Innsbruck more readily than the local airlines do. The one time when I have flown through Innsbruck in bad weather was the return flight when it was snowing heavily (the coach had needed chains between the resort and the motorway). When we got to the airport all the UK based charters were being diverted (to Verona, not Munich on that occasion), but my flight was on Lauda Air to Bristol, and left from Innsbruck about 10 minutes late. Other Lauda Air flights were also operating to various destinations.

That "one time" BTW, was one of only 6 times in total (3 arriving, 3 departing) that I have used Innsbruck, my other Austrian trips have all been via Salzburg.
latest report
@clarky999, depends on the carrier. Lots of UK charters are diverted when Tirol Air etc aren't 🚇🛫🚆🛩✈️🛫
ski holidays
I'm with Matt. I've been flying into Innsbruck for 30 odd years and never been diverted or had a serious delay (except waiting for other flights to land to fill a TO coach). That is in the early days with TOs and lately with BA & Lufthansa.
ski holidays
Id still hang fire on booking transfers to be honest. Train to Wörglg then taxi or bus to Sceffau avoids the crawl up from Kufstein on busy transfer days though
snow report
@alex_heney, @Samerberg Sue, fair point, I don't think I ever flew charter. Normally Lufthansa, Easyjet, BA, Tyrolean or Austrian.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy