Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Insurance cover for off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Just checked a couple of winter sports travel insurance policies and they all state cover for on piste only. Is there a policy that covers off piste or do people just accept the risk?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@oz, There are plenty in the UK but don't think they would cover non-UK residents.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
try dogtag.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carte neige
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bmc or Austrailian equivilant. Try looking at people who cover mountaineering rather than skiing. I hear good things about the the Austrian Alpine Club
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MPI Brokers are my current insurers.

Snowcard is another more expensive option.

Definitely need cover of some sort - worst case scenarios can be very costly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for MPI
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Now I know you can get cover I'll look around a bit harder
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MPI for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Insure and go
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try ski club of GB
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
German Ski Club: http://www.ski-online.de/ski-insurance.html

More like standard travel insurance than the Austrian Alpine Club, which (IIRC) only really covers you for rescue, emergency medical needs and repatriation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We use a combination of AAC, ADAC and home insurance to cover most stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I work out the costs, then self insure.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Self insurance for problems you can afford to pay for makes financial sense. But SAR and helicopter time is expensive and I wouldn't want to have to pay myself for fancy treatment in a US hospital. Losing my baggage or having skis nicked, I can cope with.
latest report
muddewater wrote:
Insure and go

+1

I've used their Black level annual cover for a long time. Had one claim, probably ten years ago now, when my missus had a couple of compression fractures in her spine and their claims process etc was excellent.
snow report
Seems Insure and Go these days use Travel Claims Limited to deal with claims and the service can be poor.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/insureandgo.com

No personal experience.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Self insurance for problems you can afford to pay for makes financial sense. But SAR and helicopter time is expensive and I wouldn't want to have to pay myself for fancy treatment in a US hospital. Losing my baggage or having skis nicked, I can cope with.
The OP asked what people do, that's what I do. I don't care what others do: that wasn't the question.

--
Perhaps we should not derail this thread. However to pick up on your points:
- The retail cost of heli time is about CDN$2,000 an hour collective, although often it's free depending on precisely where you're riding. Here's the BC SAR web site. Like the UK, it's free. http://www.bcsara.com/about/sar-in-bc/
- The costs of spending the rest of my life in a Canadian hospital would be expensive, and the cost of repatriation significantly less. The average UK house is worth significantly more. If you're facing long term hospitalisation in the UK then you'll likely be on CHC ("Continuing Health Care") or what used t be called "section 2 and 5" which is broadly the Local Authority equivalent of funded care. Your life has to be fundamentally broken, but money isn't likely to make a lot of difference either way if it is. I have no dependants.

Lost baggage remains covered by the airline, as are all the other airline related things including death.
latest report
Quote:

Lost baggage remains covered by the airline, as are all the other airline related things including death.

Interesting, but I met a couple on a ski holiday who had had their skis stolen. The theives hacksawed the roofrack off the car and took them when they were parked. My wife had her skis stolen while being transferred by the clalet company from the coach drop off point to the chalet, we suspect by one of the staff offereing to do us this "service". Somehow I doubt an airline would cover it.

But I agree with@pam w, I save quite a lot on my travel insurance by not ticking the "lost luggage" box, or indeed the missed departure, etc. We have had skis stolen once in over 30 years of skiing. They cost IIRC about £300 so the £20 per annum extra on the insurance is not worth it.
snow report
Quote:

I don't care what others do

Well, I find that interesting and informative but, like you, have set out my own views.
snow report
Quote:

The thieves hacksawed the roofrack off the car and took them when they were parked.

That's determined! Can't believe any of my skis even when new would be worth that risk.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy