Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

180s and 360s

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have a little question,
When learning your first tricks on skis, what shall you try first a 360 or 180? ( straight airs I can do)
At first I thought 180 but I heard someone saying that it's easier to do first a 360..

Thanks for the reply!
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
should you*
A 360 first*
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A 180 is easier to do but then you are going backwards which is probably why they said a 360 is easier but when you are just learning you should be doing them at very low speed or even static, There's not really much difference between the two all you do is spin with a bit more force to get the 360.
Static 180's are easy peasy and you will be doing them after 30mins in your garden!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From a boarders pov a 360 is easier in theory as you take off and land with the same foot forward but in reality, due to the dynamics 180s are easier. I'm sure a skier will come along to advise better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would have thought one should start off with a 90.

Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Start with a switch 180 (ie starting off backwards, landing going the normal way). Progress from flat to slope to jump doing this. Once you are comfy landing then man-up and have a go at full 360!

Tip, turn with your head, not your arms. And don't lean back as you take off.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@geeo isn't it harder when u are going slow? And Thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gilo would it help if ur holding your arms in a T-shape while turning?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turn your dins down a tad.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@elklndr, if you get it wrong then it's a harder landing if you're not going slow Very Happy

I'm hoping to move towards doing more switch and trying 180s next season and was planning to start by taking off backwards...although I may change my mind when I first try it. I assume that a 360 is more difficult simply because you need the extra hang time so have to start out on a bigger jump..but at least the landing should be easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodyMcFlude, haha indeed, improving switch would be a great idea maybe. Good luck to you also!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@elklndr, you'll turn more slowly but be better balanced with your arms out. Try it now in normal clothes, big wind up and fling the arms..... You'll make about 180-270 degrees. Keep arms in, jump up and look around over your shoulder and you should make the full 360........ In theory Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First rule of learning a new move is . . . a mate with a GoPro . . . Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@geeo isn't it harder when u are going slow? And Thanks for the tip!

You need to rotate slightly more but you don't need to ski it out and landing backwards while moving takes a little practice and more balance so it evens it out, If you are able to try them on a slope somewhere just now then go for it, i just assumed you wont be skiing till winter and if you have your own kit and outside space there's no point waiting for the snow you will be much more comfortable when it does arrive if you get the jump and rotation sorted now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gilo, thanks, i'll definitly try it out!
ski holidays
@geeo, I go often indoor-skiing/boarding so then I can try doing 180s and 360s. A big thanks for your tip, i really helps me to get a better view Smile
ski holidays
@Masque, so they can film you crashing down ? Haha
latest report
You should start with a regular 180.
Once you feel comfortable skiing switch landing backwards is not all that difficult.
Work out which direction feels most natural to spin.

One thing that will really help is making sure you "pop" before you initiate your rotation.
This will make sure you stay on the right axis and land balanced.

One thing I find helps when spinning off jumps is the UP - CHUCK - LOOK formula.

UP (pop like you would on a trampoline just before the lip of the jump)
CHUCK ( Use your arms to initiate the rotation)
LOOK (Where you look will help bring the rotation round - keep your eye line horizontal rather than looking into the sky and landing on your back)

A 360 is the same process just needs more commitment and a faster rotation.

Land - and wait for the girls queuing to buy you drink at the bar Wink
snow conditions
@willski17, thanks for the tips!! I'm going to try that out, but in fact I'm a girl wink haha
snow conditions
elklndr wrote:
@willski17, thanks for the tips!! I'm going to try that out, but in fact I'm a girl wink haha

But straight obviously wink snowHead

Good tips for my lad on this thread...!
snow conditions
My final piece of advice is to learn to snowboard, all this looks so much better on a snowboard!
latest report
@Gainz, true, but then you get to a flat bit or a lift and look really silly Very Happy So it's swings and roundabouts Very Happy
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, true but then flat bits and lifts are for skiers...
ski holidays
Flat bit + 360 = Ski Ballet,
and you're VERY welcome to THAT!
ski holidays
@Gainz, hahah i snowboard too (but only since 1year) ill still try it tho Razz but i don't know if you can be good at freestyle if you do both (skiing and boarding)...
snow report
I am 56 ... is it unwise for me to attempt to learn to 360 at my age......?
snow conditions
Not at all, as long as you are fit enough to jump up and do a spin you can manage a 360
ski holidays
FoofyNoo wrote:

Depends on how well you handle crashes. When learning, landing wrong is part of the deal. (assuming you've been jumping straight already)

OK, I tried them when I was in my 30's (I was always mentally "immature", so I felt like a 20 something at the time). The doing part was fun. And I handled bad landing reasonably well too. But once in a while, I'd had a landing that was hard on my knees. After a few of those, I decided the risk was a bit too high and gave up.

If you're fit, you can handle more of those imperfect landing much better. Give it a try and see how you like it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FoofyNoo wrote:

A personal choice. In my view it isn't.

I reckon you have two choices:
(a) You can do nothing so you don't break anything.
(b) You can do something. In the worst case you may hurt yourself. In the worst case of that, maybe then you will do nothing.

Those are both bad outcomes, but (b) is not significantly worse than (a) and almost always you'll get better results with (b), and have fun doing it.

What I would not do is play 13-year-old kid aerial ballet ("freestyle") inverted over ice. No one's watching, but it looks bad and it's asking for trouble. Find some powder, meet a better class of people, and have it all.
snow conditions
FoofyNoo wrote:

I am 35... I'm not risking it!
latest report
Quote:

One thing that will really help is making sure you "pop" before you initiate your rotation.

I don't understand the physics of that. what do you turn against to rotate if you are already off the ground? I think you have to initiate the spin while your skis are in contact. No? Quite a lot of the youtube vids with tips show the skier moving to a wide stance prior to pop to provide the strongest base to torque against

Caveat - I've never succeeded in get round 360 degrees on skis although I can manage it jumping off a step. I'm asking out of interest not expertise!
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand the physics of that. what do you turn against to rotate if you are already off the ground? I think you have to initiate the spin while your skis are in contact. No?

The physics is indeed a bit challenging to understand.

There're two components of movement, one to do with the whole body, the other the relative parts of the body (arms, legs, torso). The two movements are pretty independent of each other (even though they happen in the same time).

The "pop" is to project the whole body on a particular trajectory. If you pop forward, your body's center of mass goes forward. If you pop slightly to the side in the hope of leveraging that for a spin, the body's center of mass will go... to the side instead! Sad

While most don't jump on skis, just about everybody jump from the ground as a kid, high jump/long jump, gymnastic, playing basketball, volleyball, even football... You probably remember how you jump?

The part of where the spin comes from while in mid-air is always a bit hard to understand. It's the arms and legs working against each other, all the while the body's center of mass kept on going in a straight line.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy