Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year week 31 Dec -> is it going to be lift hell?!

Poster: A snowHead
OK so having braved Feb half term last year we actually had a decent time without the crowds, flying into Munich and driving to Konigsleiten in Austria. Slopes and lifts were mostly pretty quiet. We hit a few queues next door in Gerlos, and on the one day of really good visibility, the queues above Gerlos and Zell were pretty bad prevetning us from making it to Zel and back (we had to call off early to get back to ski school pick-up), but Kongisleiten and Hochkrimll stayed clear of crowds, most lifts being walk on or no more than a minute wait. This year I seem to have left it too late to book half term - all the decent priced direct flights at sensible times are gone, unless I get lucky with easyjet when they release later this month.

So... Alternatively I'm thinking of going to France on Sat 31st Dec for a week. French and English are back at school that first week of Jan, after the Bank holiday Monday, though the Dutch and Belgians school are off that week. I'd probably go for Courchevel.

Can I expect utter crowd carnage and lift queue hell that week or does Courchevel's lift system generally deal with it. I've done Courchevel several times at Easter and find it perfectly fine - rarely a queue (other than when heading further afield then some of the main Meribel hubs tend to have a 5 minute wait but not too bad)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know about 3Vs specifically but Chamonix is, these days, usually fine. Problematic only this year because the snow was so late in arriving.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Russian Christmas on 6th january.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were in Courchevel several days over the New Year 2015 and we did not really queue anywhere for more than a very few minutes. However due to the poor snow conditions through most of the Alps some pistes were a little busy but away from those few it was reasonably quiet. The runs were always well groomed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gazzza, That week is Russian new year holiday week as they have a load of public holidays that week and Courchevel is a favourite, What it is like at Easter is no real indication of what it will be like at New Year, at least in GM, but I am sure a 3v expert will be along in a bit.

As French schools will have gone back, why not pick a resort that appeals more to the French market than international?

Just suggestions........

edit cross post with above as my internet connection in les carroz is glacial Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
Russian Christmas on 6th january.

Zorac wrote:
That week is Russian new year week as they have a load of public holidays that week and Courchevel is a favourite.

I know Courchevel gets manic for the Russian New Year. I thought though it was the 2nd of Jan that was the big Russian holiday week. So I was guessing they would rock up that weekend of Sat 7th Jan and be in resort for the following week for Russian NY ?? Have I got this wrong ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It'll be absolutely fine and even pretty quiet after NYD
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gazzza, They have 1st, then 2nd to 5th as public hols, then 7th as christmas day, with 6th and 8th off as well, so basically the whole week after new year.

see here

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/russia/2017
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, how about Italy? Champoluc f'rinstance is remarkably quiet at New Year (usually, no guarantees...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zorrac wrote:
As French schools will have gone back, why not pick a resort that appeals more to the French market than international?

OK good point.

I tend to fall back on Courchevel as having been for the last 8 or 9 years I find myself spoiled with the quality of the grooming and lift system and as a result tend to find most other places I visit disappointing by comparison. With Courchevel I know where to eat and drink well at reasonable prices. It's great for the kids, spoilt for choice with pistes for them to progress on, they love the family park, ski schools are brilliant, I know where to head dependent on conditions or how hard we want to ski/board, and if it dumps I know where to to dive off pistes for powder fixes, whilst feeling relatively secure (my wife sticks to the piste mostly). It should also be relatively snow sure at that time (I know 2015 wasn't a great year for NY snow).

That said I like the suggestion of somewhere more French and potentially quieter. Do you have any suggestions ? Reasonable altitude obviously a must for the time of year.

My prior France experience other than Courch has been Les Arcs/Vallandry, odd day trips into La Plange, Tignes, day trips across to Val D'Isere, and Valloire. I wouldn't go back to those again over Courchevel I don't think (unless I've got the Russian week wrong). I'm guessing Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes and Val'D would all be busier than Courchevel at new year anyway (with the exception of Russian New Year maybe) ? Only thing is I'd idealy like somewhere with more ski school choice than just ESF. The only thing that really disappointed about our venture to Konigsleiten was the ski school - both our kids were unanimous. They didn't like the weird lesson times 10-3 (they would have preferred 9-1 that seems to be prevalent in France), but mostly they struggled with the fact that as English speakers they were the minority of the group so whilst the instructors spoke English they felt left out of most the conversations, both on the slope and at lunch and I have the feeling ESF might be the same. Problem is the kids have been spoilt by Courchevel with fantastic lessons with New Gen and Magic, and Momentum in La Tania.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zorrac wrote:
@Gazzza, They have 1st, then 2nd to 5th as public hols, then 7th as christmas day, with 6th and 8th off as well, so basically the whole week after new year.

see here

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/russia/2017

Interesting. Handy site!

I looked back in that calendar at the last few years and it's the same each year, but I still thought the big Russian Week when it gets really busy in Courchevel was the second not the first week of Jan, ie the week leading up the their New Year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Gazzza, how about Italy? Champoluc f'rinstance is remarkably quiet at New Year (usually, no guarantees...)

I quite fancy Italy, having never skied there (well, other than a half day trip into Claviere when staying in Montgeneve). My youngest would love to - he had an Italian instructor at New Generation in Courchevel last year and it's his best skiing memory - he loved it.

That said according to the calendar on the front page the Italians have school holiday that week so I was assuming Italy will be busy ?
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Russian visitors always come for the week including Jan 6th
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

there is a uk tour operator that goes to champloc that has its own ski school

http://www.ski-2.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Zorrac. Been looking at Champoluc, it's definately somewhere I will consider in a year or two. My eldest would be fine there with all those reds, but it looks lacking in blues and my 5 year old still struggles on the steeper bits. Though he can scrape down short bits of red we really need some good long cruisey blues for him to progress on.

Anyway I've just booked BA flights to LHR to Lyon on Sat 31 Dec returning Sunday 8 Jan at decent flight times. (£452 all in for four us with bags!)

So now its just down to whether I go with my old favorite Courchevel or try a smaller quieter "French" resort less populated by us Brits.
I'd also considered doing the obvious are going up to VT, but I rather expect that to be heaving at NY.

I'm open to suggestions of less frequented French resorts provided reasonable altitude an within around 3 hours drive of Lyon +-.

I was doing a bit of research last night (until I gave up at 1am) and Pra Loup came up - anyone any experience of this place?
snow conditions
@Gazzza, most of the reds are long and cruisey and rather blue...
ski holidays
I did wonder that looking at the piste map, and its defintely somewhere I'll look at for another year.... Flights to Lyon booked now though, so France it is. Just a case of where.
snow report
I've never considered lift queues in courchevel an issue, you get the odd one like biollay or verdons that might get a queue, but they move fast enough.

We are out there for ny week, lift queues never came into thought when booking.

Stay in la tania, and get a lift at 9.30 after the ski schools have left, then everyone spread out by time you hit courchevel
snow report
Quote:
That said I like the suggestion of somewhere more French and potentially quieter. Do you have any suggestions ? Reasonable altitude obviously a must for the time of year.

Define "more French"?

For me that would probably imply a smaller valley town and/or with a generally lower altitude and/or a smaller ski area (which may be an issue if you've spent a lot of time in the 3Vs).

I've been to La Norma - very French in terms of clientele but not particular in terms of the town - it's purpose built. I've been to Les Contamines. Town is very French but you need a short navette to the slopes unless you stay in the more purpose built bit. Good snow record but not ideal for little ones. I've heard good things about places like Les Gets, Chamrousse, La Cluzac but not been to any of them... Megeve is another option.

You don't mention ADH. It's not "French" but it could suit. Not that it would be radically different to 3V...
ski holidays
Sorry by French I meant resorts more frequented by French visitors than Brits/other nationalities, given French are back at school that first week of Jan, hopefully therefore implying less busy lifts/pistes.
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
Sorry by French I meant resorts more frequented by French visitors than Brits/other nationalities, given French are back at school that first week of Jan, hopefully therefore implying less busy lifts/pistes.

In that case there are options as suggested.

I have to admit (a bit like you) we've tended to do repeats to Les Coches (Paradiski) because we know it and it ticks all our boxes - has good links for early and late season skiing. We did alright at La Norma and Les Contamines though - among other things. I've never been new year week so can't say how they would differ on busyness. If you've been to a resort plenty of times then you probably know how to avoid the pinch points... so I'm not sure how much it should influence your decision personally.
snow report
@Gazzza, les Saises or Serre Chevalier could be ok?
snow conditions
I went to courchevel last year over the russian new year week (3rd to 10th Jan) and it was absolutely fine, infact would go as far to say it was a very quiet week in resort. Definitely no issue with queues for lifts, as mentioned you can get small ish queues on main lifts (verdons in 1850) but didnt wait in anything excessive the whole week.

we stayed in 1650 and most of the bars were very quiet in the evening, was very surprised at how quiet the whole place was really. so the apres ws a bit disappointing but meant the slopes were in great shape and the GF actually enjoyed the skiing!

just watch for timings for next years holidays around xmas/new year though, i've noticed a few tour operators are going tues/tues or wed/wed over xmas and new year weeks, so customers have a full week in resort for xmas or new year and not travelling on xmas eve/ hogmanay. then some are cramming in a short break 3/4th jan to 7/8th (5night trip) then resorting back to weekend to weekend holidays
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy