Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help with location selection?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my wife and i have skied a few times now, i love it but she was less keen....

Our first trip was Meribel followed by Les Arc the following year. unfortunately at Les Arc my wife had an accident and broke her knee badly which put us back a lot. Since, we have been to Tahoe (Squaw Valley) and this year Whistler which is where she had a fantastic instructor and got back into it.

I would say i am a decent intermediate but she is looking for some confidence boosting greens and blues and i don't want to dull the interest!

For 2016 / 17 season we are restricted to an early season trip due to other commitments so looking for somewhere to go from 26th December until 31st December....

Open about accommodation type and cost but looking for somewhere where she can gain confidence on some nice runs and ideally be in the village for some evening entertainment?

thanks in advance
Z1ppy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Z1ppy, welcome to snowHeads. For that week the usual advice of booking in advance is to choose a relatively high resort (or at least a resort with access to high altitude terrain) in whatever country you choose.

Is your wife planning on taking any lessons. I think for a holiday in which someone would like to boost their confidence a good instructor/ski school should be quite high on the list of priorities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for your reply. yes looking for lessons for sure.

she has had group lessons and private lessons in the past and seems to work better in groups with the benefit of learning from others as well as the instructor.

think we will look for a day skiing first before a few days of lessons (half day).

We are looking to drive so at the moment thinking about going back to Mirebel as its a known quantity and seem to recall there was a nice mix of runs and access to 3 valleys.

i don't really have a handle on how high they are in relation to others in europe?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Z1ppy wrote:
thanks for your reply. yes looking for lessons for sure.

she has had group lessons and private lessons in the past and seems to work better in groups with the benefit of learning from others as well as the instructor.

think we will look for a day skiing first before a few days of lessons (half day).

We are looking to drive so at the moment thinking about going back to Mirebel as its a known quantity and seem to recall there was a nice mix of runs and access to 3 valleys.

i don't really have a handle on how high they are in relation to others in europe?

Plenty of excellent ski schools in Meribel, I'd recommend Marmalade. If you do book with them say that Rob from Inside Out Skiing recommended them and you might get a modest discount on the cost of lessons.

The Meribel villages are not especially high, but they do access a large and varied ski area which includes high altitude slopes, so if the snow is unseasonably poor you do stand a reasonable chance of getting the best of the conditions. As a side note, it's not possible to compare villages (or ski areas) across all of the Alpine countries simply by looking at their altitude above sea level as there a differences in the climate between the mountains closer to the atlantic and those closer to the continental interior. As a result there is not a simple read across in terms of average temperatures.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps Belle Plagne might fit the bill - it has a bit of a village feel, is high enough to be snow sure, has covered parking, plenty of very confidence-building and accessible blue runs, some ski-in/out options (and plenty near as dammit). There are also some green beginner slopes that trundle through BP from just above the village.

Oxygene ski school have a good rep and have been recommended by others here.

Good mixture of self-catering, catered chalets and hotels, many with, or access to, swimming pools, spas etc.

There's some reasonable apres and evening liveliness to be found, if that's important.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I had your list of prioities, I would be looking at Espace Killy:

- It has one of the best snow-sure reputations in France.
- It has access to 2 Glaciers and if staying in Tignes Val Claret, you are based at over 2000m and are situated at the bottom of the Tignes Glacier.
- There are a big variety of excellent ski schools, especially in Val D'Isere.

Merribel is excellent, with Motaret being a bit higher, but the only Glacier is over at VT...and I think the links can be closed if there is a lack of snow.....this happened to me one year before Christmas, when we were in Courchevel. They bused us to VT for a day which took well over an hour. They also bused us to Tignes, which had much better snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy