Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on what side edge angle to use on mat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday at my sons Saturday 'fun' race training there was a discussion amongst the kids ski techs (aka Dads Toofy Grin ) about the edge angles used. They ranged from 1 to 3 degrees but there was no consensus about which was best. The kids range in age from 8 to 13 and most are racing to a reasonable standard. It could be argued that the best angle is what works best for the child but short of changing the angle and trying to get an 8 year old to to give a objective view is easier said than done.

My sons skis are at 3 degrees and one of the dads commented that that might be a bot too extreme for him and hindering his performance. His son (18 months older than mine and who normally pips my son in races) has his skis on 1 degree.

I'm now beginning to wonder if I should rein it back a bit to either 1 or 2 degrees.

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaza, 8-10 Most kids wouldn't notice the difference, and you are just eating away at the edge, Max i would expect on kids skis at that age is 1-2 degrees. Now there will be exceptions for very talented kids that can create big angles but they are few and far between.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends on weight and strength, at that age I would say 2 is more than enough..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fattes13 wrote:
@Gaza, 8-10 Most kids wouldn't notice the difference, and you are just eating away at the edge

^ this.
kids of that age don't yet ski with large edge angles - especially on dry slope.
better to tune skis normally and let the skis last and remain sharp for longer.
leave your kids to worry about the fundamentals (such as carving clean turns and turning at right place).

over thinking difference in edge angles for 8 year old kids is focusing on unnecessary level of detail.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

@Haggis_Trap, it is not about 'over thinking difference in edge angles'. It is about not having them set at something that will have a negative impact. It is also about ensuring having the correct tools to ensure they stay at the correct angle. The reason my sons were set at 3 deg is following advice I received from someone whose opinion comes with some weight.

@skimottaret, 145cm and c.6 stone (38 kg). He has quite powerful and sturdy legs.

Given what has been said I think I will rein them back a bit. I might not even tell him but after his session on Wednesday I'll ask him if he noticed any difference. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our coaches recommended setting skis at 1,1 until teens in the domes. 6 stone doesn't need 3 degrees (I am 98kg and use 3 sides, most male Eurotest trainees are on 3 and girls on 2 depending on weight)... I don't have much experience on dry slopes so cant say if 2 would be better for that surface, it could be..

Keep the equipment the same at this stage and work on fundamentals, speed will come as skills improve..

dont tell him, the kids all want to use what their mate is on or whoever is fastest. there always seems to be a magic ski each season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 is fine - all Atomics, Blizzards and Fischers are shipped with 3 degree side edge angles so a 3 is not particularly 'special'.

And if they're already at 3 you definately don't want to reduce them as that will remove too much material.

Assuming reasonable service internals a 3 is no less durable than a 2 or 1.

The amount of 'forgiveness' in a ski is a function of the base edge angle not the side edge angle.

Dry slopes are a little different to snow in that lightweight kids often don't often have the mass to dig in/compress the dendix so any help from a steeper side edge angle is useful.

If the ski is a bit 'hooky' then don't detune but instead add 0.25 to 0.5 degrees more base edge angle at the contact points so that the edge engages more progressively but still has full length sharpness.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Does that include kids skis, you are looking at most of these kids being on 135-145 SL composite skis. The side angle is significant on plastic due to the lets call it style applied for maximum speed, limited friction.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know a few top dry slope racers who use 0 angle, especially if they use a dremel for grinding. It is not the same as snow /ice as the grip is generated to some extent by cutting into the plastic (hence the finishing is not always done with diamond stones).
On indoor, 2 is plenty.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If only I'd read your response earlier @spyderjon. Confused Confused Blush Blush Blush

I took the plunge and detuned them this afternoon. A friend had lent me his Wintersteiger Discman 2 and it doesn't appear to have taken too much material off. I practised first on his training pair and made a slight error that has seen a bit more edge taken off on one ski albeit at the very back.

The Discman does seem to give a good finish and sharp edge.

@Fattes13, he has a couple of pairs of Salomon X-Race SL that have a full wood core.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gaza, Cheers, was a genuine question for a man with as much knowledge as @spyderjon, I know all the adult skis from certain factories come out at 3, but was not sure about the kids ones.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
25 years ago or more I raced all summer on the dry stuff. Back then the preferred angles were 0 base and 75 (or 15 depending on which way you measure it) . Someones race coach had come up with this as a joke, but it really worked. Only problem was it trashed the upper sidewall and topsheet. But you got awesome grip. We had to start dialing things back when it became obvious after a few races with many running extreme angles we were cutting a rut line into the Dendex!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy