Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone daring to think about skiing in France over Christmas this year? We were in Les Gets last year and the snow arrived as we drove home!!

We managed a trip back there in March which was brilliant and would love to repeat it if only we knew that there was likely to be snow!

Current thinking is to leave it last minute and see what happens to the weather but risk not getting accommodation close to the slopes etc. OR book early but somewhere higher with more guaranteed snow but possibly won't be as pretty as Les Gets...
We are 5 (Dad and 16yr old boarders and Mum and 14 & 10yr old skiers) and this will be our 3rd trip as a family. Flights to Geneva are cheap at the mo so had also considered booking them and leaving the accommodation until later.

Any thoughts welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @Sarahmac0 snowHead

I've bitten the bullet and taken Christmas and New Year off. It would be daft to remain at home for almost two weeks, and then book holiday in January. I can take 3.5 weeks off at Christmas from one job for only 3 days annual leave, and I'm self-employed for the other one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We ski at Christmas. We DIY and book an apartment around September/October once the kids are back at school. We accept that conditions will be what they'll be. Often go to Paradiski which is snowsure. Also been to ADH and Les Contamines. The year before last we took a punt on booking at Les Sept Laux. Because of no snow it didn't open and so we had to book an apartment at Tignes a couple of days before. Bit of a sweat at the time but if you are DIYing in reality it's a whizz to make a last minute switch.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, we are happy DIYing. I will look at Paradiski. A friend suggested Tignes Les Brev. also.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sarahmac0, an enterprising SH ran a log of Easyjet Geneva fares courtesy of Skyscanner alerts. The prices pretty much plateaued post early bookings until the early November snow, then (I think dropped) and stayed flat until snow started to arrive.

Booking flights into Geneva gives you many options although leaving accomm late for xmas might mean some compromises.

I think you were particularly unlucky with Les 7 Laux (not knowing much about the area) but it doesn't look particularly low although there's not a lot of snowmaking.

Xmas week, by defnition, is always a little unpredictable, but if you want an alpine holiday that probably allows (potentially) great skiing it can work well.

Nothing about the weather/snow of the last few years gives you any information about the coming years however!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew last year and will be planning to go again at some point this year. It wasn't perfect conditions but thought 3V held up remarkably well and kept me entertained for a week. Given that I'm already off work for a week it makes sense to use it for something other than stuffing my face, and a week skiing in dodgy conditions is better than a week not skiing at all....although as a single bloke it isn't quite such a financial outlay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sarahmac0, you mentioned driving home last year, could you not plan on driving again this year?.
lots more options of areas including other countries to get to if you self drive and not relying on booking flights as soon as they come out with not being able to cancel, ferries and Eurotunnel give you more flexibility to book nearer the time. same goes for accommodation, you can use sites like booking.com, where you have the option on a lot of properties to cancel nearer the time at no cost if the snow does not arrive?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarahmac0 wrote:
Yes, we are happy DIYing. I will look at Paradiski. A friend suggested Tignes Les Brev. also.

Wouldn't stay at Le Brev. A) If the snow isn't good you won't be able to ski back and B) it's a zig zag track or tough black run home. Best stick to the main stations.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paradiski would suit you better all round IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I think you were particularly unlucky with Les 7 Laux (not knowing much about the area) but it doesn't look particularly low although there's not a lot of snowmaking.

Yes we were unlucky. But it is worth noting what can happen in a poor year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, it wasn't a poor year, just a poor start.

And once it got going all the good stuff was mid-week when I was working.... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, it wasn't a poor year, just a poor start.

And once it got going all the good stuff was mid-week when I was working.... Evil or Very Mad

Yeah I meant poor year (sic) to be going at Christmas Very Happy

Never really a poor year is there... it always snows at some point Blush snowHead Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd agree with @terrygasson that driving will give you far more flexibility. Yes, booking accommodation late might mean you don't get your top choice but some compromise there is better than landing up in a beautifully appointed apartment with no snow for miles around. I don't know about Austria (which might, of course, be where the early snow is best) but in France Christmas is much less busy than New Year and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something suitable. NY is very crowded everywhere. Too crowded for me; I'll be out in the Alps, but not downhill skiing that week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I wonder if the normal rules will apply this year as Christmas - week commencing 24th December appears to be the more expensive week for french apartments. In my area schools have a Tuesday to Tuesday two week Christmas holiday so going Christmas week is the only option around that time. Most uk, french and I think Belgian schools will not be off for the whole new year week, hence the cheaper prices. This is based in Saturday changeovers. I know some companies are offering Sunday to Sunday coming back on New Years day.

To go back to the op, if you are only planning to ski one week I personally think late March, early April is usually a safer bet than Christmas. last time we went early season we went to la rosiere at new year and the snow was very good but this was quite a few years ago. I also think self drive gives more flexibility in the case of poor snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, yes, we will probably have a couple of days or so walking the dogs, visiting friends, eating in village restaurants etc, but we will head up the mountain on New Year's morning, as it is usually deserted until lunchtime.
ski holidays
Yes, @snowymum, maybe things might be different this year. @Hells Bells, yes, early on new Year's day is good - and as I am usually in bed before midnight, no problem!

I will probably do some cross country skiing that week. And it's lively round the village, lots going on - just the pistes and lifts are too busy for my liking, as I have the luxury of choice.
snow report
@snowymum, the Crystal deals I looked at yesterday didn't seem that different to what I looked at last year. There seems to be more choice on flying dates though, some go from mid week and some stay Sat-Sat
snow report
So do you think it's an option to plan for Les Gets but wait until whe in December to book accommodation? We could drive - possibly do a stop over on 23rd part way down. If no show of snow then aim for somewhere higher and suggestions on a back up would be good! Thanks guys - v helpful Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
So do you think it's an option to plan for Les Gets but wait until whe in December to book accommodation?

IMO yes, if you are not overly fussy about the accommodation you get.

Another option is book something and accept the 5% chance that there is nothing to ski and lose the cost of the apartment.

Another option is to accept Les Gets is quite low for that time of the year and go to a safer option.

We have stayed in Les Coches in bad times and the links to and from it are always open. You can also stay higher in La Plagne or Les Arcs. Tignes will definitely have some skiing - that is where we went after Le 7 Laux wasn't open. Val Thoren will also have skiing.

If there are 5 of you and you have a decent car I would drive.
snow report
Quote:

Another option is to accept Les Gets is quite low for that time of the year and go to a safer opt

I'd be inclined to go for that. That doesn't mean heading for the bleak uplands of Tignes or Val Thorens. Somewhere like Les Arcs, as suggested by @Layne.

If you want somewhere with some of the village atmosphere of Les Gets you could look at Les Saisies - the village is at 1650m, and generally has the best snow in the area, though a higher and more "purpose built" destination with access to high altitude skiing could give you greater security about the snow. Les Saisies (and indeed Les Gets) are also "purpose built", of course, but not in the sense of having high rise blocks.

Les Saisies is essentially only accessible by car, either your own or rented. Buses are inconvenient and expensive. Taxis are convenient but even more expensive.

By buying flights in advance you are inevitably ruling out great swathes of the Alps. Though a flight to Turin gives you a decent range of choice - sometimes the southern Alps do better early on, sometimes the northern Alps, and both are accessible from Turin.
ski holidays
@Sarahmac0,
Quote:

We skied Paradiski the week ending on Christmas Day 2015. Conditions were acceptable, though many lower pistes closed and hardly any off piste worth doing. Plenty of small rocks on piste to dodge; one new pair of rental skis a write-off. After 4 days the area was getting crowded, so we rented a car. The last 2 days we skied Espace Killy, parking for free at Tignes les Brev one day and La Daille, for about 8 or 9 euros, another day. Snow conditions much better up there and, surprisingly to me, pistes far less busy. The previous year we scrapped plans to ski at Christmas, as snow conditions were so poor.
Flexibility to cope with unpredictable snow and weather conditions important I think.
ski holidays
After two consecutive 'poor' Christmases surely we must be due a good one this year?
snow report
@boredsurfin, sadly, it doesn't work like that. i.e. past performance no indication, etc.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin,
Quote:

After two consecutive 'poor' Christmases surely we must be due a good one this year?

Yes, you'd hope so, but I'm not sure alpine weather has heard of the law of averages.
There seems to be a trend towards late season snow, with conditions in Tarentaise resorts excellent in early May, unfortunately after many had closed their lifts!
ski holidays
As our work has decided to have a Xmas closedown, and my boys have GCSEs next year, we're going to risk Christmas again and will also likely end up in Les Arcs. Been there a couple of times at Xmas and skiing has always been ok - some years brilliant, other years ok, but always some skiing to be had.

I'm with @boredsurfin, in saying this will be a fab year Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
No such thing as the "law of averages", @intermediate. wink The gambler's fallacy.
snow conditions
Quote:

There seems to be a trend towards late season snow

I'm not at all sure that there is, if measured over a horizon longer than the last 3-4 years.

Humans are particularly poor at certain things, risk management is one example, and noting whether snow comes early or not is another...
snow conditions
Global warming is melting and drying the Alps.

Head as high as possible.

Accommodation needs to be at least 1800-2000m.

Their snowmaking needs to be extensive and proactive.

Courchevel 1850, Val d'Isere, Tignes, Val Thorens, Obergurgl, etc. are all good options.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Head as high as possible.

Accommodation needs to be at least 1800-2000m.

No it doesn't. I've stayed in Les Coches at 1450m both early and late season when conditions have generally been poor. And they've always kept the links open as it's the route from the Vanoise Express back to the main La Plagne bowl. In general resorts will try to keep open at least one run back to the station. I've also been on Oz-en-Oisans (1350) early and late season and it's a similar story.

There is also the option of downloading at the end of the day, which for no particularly rational reason I'm not fan of but needs sometimes must.

So while the need for decent altitude skiing is important the need to stay at altitude isn't.
ski holidays
@Layne, don't feed the troll
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

I know, I know...

wink Cool snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

oh I can't resist. Les Contamines website has snowfall history going back to 1992-93 season
https://lescontamines.net/meteo_neige-Saison-2016.html

Couldn't resist putting the annual totals in excel - pdf of graph here
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/Les_C_snowfall.pdf

Conclusion - ever so slight downward trend which could get flattened by one good year. Les C is at 1100m and the top of the mountain is 2500m. I am not an idiot - I believe in global warming and I've seen the retreat in the glaciers since 1990 but is it having a big effect on skiing in the Alps yet? Certainly not
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy