Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top Tip: Take your skis on BA for £3 [with a bit of luck]

Poster: A snowHead
I was booking a return BA flight London to Salzburg, Euro Traveller class. So that included one 23Kg bag each way; which meant me paying for skis at £36 each way. Then I was given the option to upgrade to Club Europe at £76 outward and £3 return. So I just selected the return for £3. Now that gives me 2 x 32Kg both ways — as your best baggage allowance is applicable to both legs of your booking.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or if you've got any Avios points use them to pay for the upgrade on one leg and get it for free.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PeDaSp wrote:
I was booking a return BA flight London to Salzburg, Euro Traveller class. So that included one 23Kg bag each way; which meant me paying for skis at £36 each way. Then I was given the option to upgrade to Club Europe at £76 outward and £3 return. So I just selected the return for £3. Now that gives me 2 x 32Kg both ways — as your best baggage allowance is applicable to both legs of your booking.

Now this one should be a sticky.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, As the upgrade was only £3, I used a bunch of Avios points to get a £50 reduction on the overall price. Was a better use of the points. But if the upgrade price was higher, points are the way to go!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PeDaSp,
Quote:

So that included one 23Kg bag each way; which meant me paying for skis at £36 each way.

With BA - your skis go free within your 23kg allowance: You are allowed one hold bag, which can be a ski bag containing your boots and all your kit, plus a carry on bag which also can be up to 23kg and a laptop/handbag (which can also be up to 23kg)

Flew BA twice this year: Once to Canada, and again to Lyon, and this is deffo the rule....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geoffers wrote:
@PeDaSp,
Quote:

So that included one 23Kg bag each way; which meant me paying for skis at £36 each way.

With BA - your skis go free within your 23kg allowance: You are allowed one hold bag, which can be a ski bag containing your boots and all your kit, plus a carry on bag which also can be up to 23kg and a laptop/handbag (which can also be up to 23kg)

Flew BA twice this year: Once to Canada, and again to Lyon, and this is deffo the rule....

Yes! This is an excellent way of doing it if you can. You can stuff a big ski bag with all your skis and gear up to 23Kg; and this can your normal hold baggage allowance. Then a carry-on bag up to 23Kg and up to to 56cm x 45cm x 25cm/22in x 18in x 10in.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

Then grab one of these excellent boot-only "laptop" bags Very Happy

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/GB/hero-dual-boot-bag--2015--RKDB109--product--alpine-men-bags.html

This means you are carrying your precious ski boots with you at all times; and with BA, that bag also can be 23Kg.

But I've found that when I'm on a 2 week ski trip with two pairs of skis, my own boots, and all the rest of the gear, it's not quite enough given the carry-on bag size restrictions. Hence the other option.

Of course with Swiss, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic, your skis go free anyway!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeDaSp wrote:

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/GB/hero-dual-boot-bag--2015--RKDB109--product--alpine-men-bags.html

I was interested in one of these, looking to use it as my only carry-on bag for skiing - until I got hands-on with one. Yes you get 2 nice pockets for your boots in a bag that will fit under the seat in front of you on most aircraft but that's about it. Other than that you get a little trouser pocket sized pocket on each side. Fine if all you want to take in the cabin's your boots and your passport but no room for a book/MP3 player+headphones/etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

I was interested in one of these, looking to use it as my only carry-on bag for skiing - until I got hands-on with one. Yes you get 2 nice pockets for your boots in a bag that will fit under the seat in front of you on most aircraft but that's about it. Other than that you get a little trouser pocket sized pocket on each side. Fine if all you want to take in the cabin's your boots and your passport but no room for a book/MP3 player+headphones/etc.

I just took a look at mine again, and there is on smaller zipped pocket on one side; but on the other other side there is a very big pocket the size of the whole bag which can take a laptop and other goodies. It also stores the backpack straps if you are not using those. It would take books easily. Maybe you were looking at a different model or earlier type?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Mjit wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:
Then grab one of these excellent boot-only "laptop" bags

I just took a look at mine again, and there is on smaller zipped pocket on one side; but on the other other side there is a very big pocket the size of the whole bag which can take a laptop and other goodies. It also stores the backpack straps if you are not using those. It would take books easily. Maybe you were looking at a different model or earlier type?

really like the look of this bag but can't find it in stock anywhere, is it discontinued or will it be in stock again in September when the new seasons gear rolls in?

if it counts as a "laptop" bag, i could take that on my back, with a second wheeled case containing all my clothes/other stuff etc without having to go through the hassle/cost of checking things in
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mikeholmes25,

These are showing as in stock. But whether they really are — who knows! Give them a try:

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Rossignol-Hero-Dual-Boot-Ski-Bag-2016-31268.html

https://www.skiplusonline.co.uk/Skiing/Ski-Luggage/Ski-Boot-Bags/Rossignol-Hero-Dual-Boot-Bag
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lange do a version too.

I can fit my boots, shell jacket and pants, 2 ski socks and gloves in it!! Tight role everything, stuff the boots and unzip the boot seperator.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not all airlines allow a "laptop bag" in addition to the usual cabin baggage allowance. BA do, easyjet only do if you pay for a Flexiticket or a supplement for an extended legroom seat, and charter airlines don't allow an additional laptop bag. BA class a laptop bag as falling within these dimensions: 40cm x 30cm x 15cm, so the Rossi bootcase is outside those dimensions. Passengers routinely take on board airlines like BA more hand luggage than is allowed, so you might be OK with an oversize "laptop" bag plus your usual cabin bag, but it seems to me that airlines are now enforcing their cabin rules rather more strictly than they used to in the past.

As an alternative to the Rossi bootcase, I like the Salomon GoToGear bag. Convenient ying/yang skiboot storage in dedicated compartments, plus room for laptop and other stuff, in addition to pockets for smaller items. It's a great bag which I've used as cabin luggage as well as carting stuff around when skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, does that fit the Easyjet hand luggage dimensions with a pair of boots inside?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be going from Australia to London to Salzburg with my ski bag (actually will probably be a snowboard bag) as my one check in bag and ski boots in a small suitcase to take onboard. Luckily I have small boots and short skis

Very Happy

My flight from London to Salzburg is with BA so hopefully my plan works.

I was spoilt with my trip to Japan earlier this year. Even Jetstar a Japan didn't blink an eyelid at checking in a suitcase and ski bag as long as they were under the weight limit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the Lange version of the boot bag and it is a pleasure to travel with as @PeDaSp has described. You can get quite a bit extra in the bag besides the boots (inside and around them) + the 2 outside pockets. Don't pack it too much and it will even fit in most transfer coach overheads as well.

@rob@rar -> flip your statement, I use this as my main hand baggage item and then (if required) use a the small notebook bag as the secondary to carry electrical goods (kindle, tablet, notebook, chargers, cables, flux capacitor...). Depends how I'm travelling if I use the secondary bag or not. Either way I'll put my kindle in the coat pocket if going light.

@PaulC1984 -> never thought to undo the zip for travel to get more space, will remember that one if required. I would have thought the zip gives a bit of structral integrity to the bag when travelling so I'd prolly not do that in most travels. Although, with the zip opened in resort it can carry a substantial amount of provisions, yes, a 30pack of kronenburg will fit - just !! Very Happy
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@rob@rar, does that fit the Easyjet hand luggage dimensions with a pair of boots inside?

EasyJet carry-on bag dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25cm and according to the page @rob@rar linked to the bag dimensions are 41 x 36 x 30cm so should fit, yes.
ski holidays
A related BA trick… If you take as much cabin baggage as BA allows, on a busy flight, they are frequently overloaded in the cabin. In this situation they usually, in advance of boarding, ask at the gate for volunteers to have their bags checked, for free. If you avail yourself of this, you then get priority boarding.

However, none of these boot bags look “legal” for a second item (BA or Easyjet) – they are too thick and thus not guaranteed to fit under the seat in front. You’ll probably get away with it, but if not you could have to pay the fee for airport checkin.
ski holidays
That Rossi bag is too big to take on as a BA additional laptop bag, but I've never seen them measured.
latest report
@Mjit, easyJet have two sizes of hand baggage. All passangers are allowed one bag at 56 x 45 x 25cm while those with an easyJet Plus, FLEXI fare or have booked Upfront (first 5 rows) or Extra Legroom seats get an additional bag measuring 45 x 36 x 20cm. As the Rossi bag is 49 x 36 x 11cm it is technically too big as a second bag but in the 2 years I've commuted between Edinburgh and Stansted I've never once had my extra bag measured.
snow report
Jellymorph wrote:
@rob@rar -> flip your statement, I use this as my main hand baggage item and then (if required) use a the small notebook bag as the secondary to carry electrical goods (kindle, tablet, notebook, chargers, cables, flux capacitor...). Depends how I'm travelling if I use the secondary bag or not. Either way I'll put my kindle in the coat pocket if going light.
Sure, that would work if you're on an airline which gives you the option of a "Laptop bag". If you're on an airline which doesn't have that option, or you only want to carry one cabin bag rather than two, I still think the Salomon GoTo bag is a better option than the Rossi bootcase.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy