Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How stiff is too stiff?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A few weekends ago I bought my first boots - a pair of Atomic Hawx 120 (120 flex). I'm pretty happy with how they fit, but after walking around in them at home I think they might be too stiff for me!
I'm 183cm and about 72kg (6ft / 11st 5lb in old money). I haven't skied very much (did my first two weeks this year) but I've learnt fast and could comfortably get down any red in the Espace Killy when I was there. So I was looking for more of a 'performance' boot and something that I can grow into as a skier, I'm under no illusion though that I'm still a relative beginner.
I can flex each individual leg to get my knees over the toes but with both legs together I get virtually no movement. I really have no idea how much I'm meant to be able to bend them but not very much at all is probably not the answer! Will they loosen up a bit after I try them out at a fridge? I'm starting to think they are not going to be good for my skiing so looking for some advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try them at a fridge and get feedback from an instructor....if they are too stiff, they can be softened to a 110 by removing a bolt from the back (see a boot fitter). Simples.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if they impede your range of movement, they are to stiff. Its a personal thing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should not base any opinion on walking round your front room.

These are softish 120's anyway, but no bad thing as you are on the lighter end.

These are intermediate boots, you might be a bit early for them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are they the red ones?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yellow/blue: http://media.sportscheck.com/is/image/Sportscheck/EPD1X/D100001001676618.jpg
Sounds like the best thing to do is just go try them out and see if they are forcing me backseat...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ouster, The cuffs are quite high, my boots are similar, and found it slightly odd at first as they force a knee forward stance when walking around, but great for skiing. They will not soften up, they are what they are. If they fit they should be fine, just watch claf rubbing when you first use them in anger.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flex seems right for your height/weight/ability etc. Boots are hard to flex when just standing in them. Try clicking in to your skis so that the soles are held securely so you've got something to flex against - you'll see they flex a lot easier.

But if they're too big you won't able to flex 'em. What's the shell gap?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ouster, man jon speak big truth re shell fit.

I have just bought Hawk 110s in 26 mondo – hideous orange blue and black but really excellent boots. I am 5ft 7inches, 140 lbs. I like reasonable flex for dusty days and drop offs, but good grip on boiler plate.

The Hawk flex is incredibly progressive, which is good. You can adjust the flex by removing rear elements. I would practice mad forward leaning, standing straight, when on skis on snow. This is an exercise I do with all beginners. They have no idea that you can lean SO far forward, almost 45 degrees. Then do the weird pressing down with maximum strength into the ground with the flats of your feet, pressing shins against the front of the boots. This is the pressure which you need to transmit from body to ski, to keep that front edge cutting into the snow. They will get stiffer when it's minus 10! but ... I am sure that 120 adjsutable to 110 is absolutely in the right zone, if you ski them right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting thread. I'm 6'3"", and weigh 110kgs. I use the 120 hawx, love them...but, are they not stiff enough? I still over 60 days a season, and probably a level 7 skier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy