Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skibum in europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody done it? If so are their any tips or things worth knowing? Basically the idea is to work all summer and save, get some cheap long stay accommodation (found some catered shared rooms for £170 a week) get a season lift pass ( about £1100/1200) and maybe get a bar job if theirs anything going, not particularly fussed though about working though would only be for beer money. I know its quite a popular thing to do across the pond but their doesnt seem to be many people do it in Europe?! Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
European winters are too cold and landlords get bounties for the scalps of frozen ski bums so they keep the heating right down to maximise their chances.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Au contraire Mr. Layer - I think it's quite a popular practice snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Too cold? Just inappropriate clothing rolling eyes MR. Layer?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of people do it. In fact, depending on your definition, I guess I am a ski bum as I spend all winter in the Alps and have no job Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@treeslayer, yep, spent two winters in Chamonix very happily living as a ski bum, and known many others also doing the same - and a few more doing occasional work.

What is concerning you? Are you a non-EU citizen and so worried about being able to pick up work?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just wonder how hard and where you looked Mr Layer, as ski bums anywhere I have ever been are pretty thick on the ground.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@treeslayer, not sure where you're looking for accommodation and lift pass but there's plenty of places you can get something for a lot less than that
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@treeslayer, i'm just back from a full Winter Season of being a 'snowboard bum' in Val d'Isere. Main objective was to get as much snowboarding in as possible and in the end managed over 100 days. Seemed to be quite a few people doing the same thing. I go back to work full time as an HGV Driver next Monday. My Boss was good enough to give me 6 Months off so I just saved up as much spare cash as I could so that I didn't need to worry about finding work out there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fixx no im english, when i say skibum i mean like i say getting some accomodation and living their as opposed to going with a tour operator i dont know anyone whos done it are some resorts better than others for it? mosey p do you know any websites or links? im not being lazy iv been looking for weeks for long stay accomodation and thats the best iv found. Well i am being lazy i suppose if someone tells me where to look. backcountryboarder the place iv found is tignes so same area, how did you find it? and if you dont mind how much did you pay? Thanks for all the replies as well everyone
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@treeslayer, I rented an Apartment with my Brother from Marcellus @ Livetheseason.com, you can find him on here, he's a Snowhead too. Rental and Deposit was about 10000 Euros split between 2 of us (apartment for 4 in La Daille). With underground car park, season pass, insurance and general spending I reckon I went through another 6,750 to 7,000 Euros over the 5 Months I was there. We bought season passes at the end of September and got them for 900 Euros, which works out at 25% off full price.

I'm already wondering if my Boss would agree to it again in 2 or 3 years Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@treeslayer, are you planning to drive out? It helps massively having a car. Try looking at places near big resorts but not necessarily in them (like Brides les Bains for the 3V, or Saint Gervais for Chamonix). Personally I would get accommodation locally instead of through seasonnaire websites, and look at Air B&B - lots of places do discounts for monthly lets. Keep an eye on early bird season pass dates so you pay the cheapest possible rate
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@treeslayer, there are some hostel type things about that do seasonnaire deals. E.g.
http://www.chaletarc.co.uk/
http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-lodgings.html

You might have more luck asking on the resort seasonnaire Facebook pages.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just ski bummed in chamonix for the season. saved as much money as I could.
I booked a hostel room for 4 days, used those 4 days to find a house share and then skiied almost every day of the season.
met loads of other bums and skiied with them out there.

Only things I would do differently:
-decide early, chamonix lift passes are almost 1/2 price in November so if you know you're going you can save a bundle - dunno if other resorts are the same.

-should have had a car, buses are great in Cham but its a ballache having to get everywhere 20 mins earlier then everyone else cos thats when the bus gets in.

Best thing i've ever done. worried i am going to end up doing it again alot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

dunno if other resorts are the same

Not all, but many offer big discounts for buying early.
ski holidays
treeslayer wrote:
Fixx no im english, when i say skibum i mean like i say getting some accomodation and living their as opposed to going with a tour operator i dont know anyone whos done it are some resorts better than others for it? mosey p do you know any websites or links? im not being lazy iv been looking for weeks for long stay accomodation and thats the best iv found. Well i am being lazy i suppose if someone tells me where to look. backcountryboarder the place iv found is tignes so same area, how did you find it? and if you dont mind how much did you pay? Thanks for all the replies as well everyone

Yep that's what most people here are talking about (and what I did) - very easy.

The biggest resorts would be the ones with the most seasonal workers, and so easiest to find advertised accomodation. As mentioned above there are plenty of facebook groups for the bigger resorts, as well as Marcellus' excellent website (www.livetheseason.com) - he lists places in shared accomodation as well as entire apartments in places, just drop him an email and he'll let you know what could come avaialble in various resorts, and the prices he can offer.

Here's a thread from last year with lots of links, and some costs from me re. Chamonix, might give you some inspiration! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119880
snow report
Hey @treeslayer, as others have said lots of people do this! Obviously more work a season as not everyone can save enough cash, but there are still plenty of bums about too.

Your costs seem pretty high to me!

At least in Austria, the best way to find long stay accommodation is to email the tourist office of whichever resort(s), who are normally able to provide you with a big list of what's available and contact details of the landlords. These days there are also Facebook groups for most big resorts where you can probably find something (I'm aware of groups for St Anton and Morzine anyway).

The season pass for St Anton is €805 next season (a little over £600), and it's a rad place for a season - incredible terrain, great nightlife, and typically the snowiest place in Europe each season.

Another option would be to buy a multi resort pass like the Tirol Snow Card: http://www.snowcard.tirol.at (no prices for next season yet, but expect it to be around €700). This covers pretty much everywhere in Tirol apart form St Anton/Arlberg, so you could base yourself in a big resort like Ischgl or Mayrhofen, and ski 90 odd resorts from October to May. This would work best with a car, but public transport is easy enough for most of the bigger resorts on the pass.
snow conditions
Thanks Simon and Fi, not much I need to add really!! (thanks guys)

Current cheapest options;
- Bad Gastein shared house €2,000,
- Meribel shared house €2,500 or studio of your own €3,500
- Morzine shared house €2,645
- Val d'Isere shared apartment €3,000.
- Val Thorens shared apartment €2,650

@treeslayer, drop me an email and I'll try and help.

(for anyone else reading this we don't just do "Low cost" places we have properties all the way up to Chateaux costing over €100,000)
snow report
Should be able to do a whole 5month season for under 5k, all-in.

Even cheaper (but a bit tragic) is to buy a motorhome and resell afterwards on Ebay.
snow report
@Whitegold, agreed, my accommodation/lift pass/car & travel costs come in under €3k for the season (albeit in shared accommodation but own room).

I love the idea of a motorhome though!
snow report
[quote="Whitegold"]Should be able to do a whole 5month season for under 5k, all-in.

Agreed, but I guess it depends on your budget. That may or may not be the last chance I get to do a Season so i'd set a total budget of 13,000 Euros and wasn't too bothered about having any left to bring home.
snow conditions
Motor home, haha.

Fantastic.
latest report
Norrin Radd wrote:
Motor home, haha.

Fantastic.

People do it though!
snow report
Motor home, haha.

Fantastic.
ski holidays
Not whitegold, he is more bling than that.
snow report
Skibum 30+yrs Very Happy
snow report
@stanton, are you in your 50s?
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for all for the late reply! im going to message you all individually as i cant remember everything i want to ask in a single reply.
snow conditions
@treeslayer, you could also consider being a ski guide in Austrian resorts. All you need to do is know the resort pretty well and be friendly. And/or you can be a driver from/to the airports. Both jobs give you accommodation and food plus some spending money and ski pass.
ski holidays
treeslayer wrote:
Sorry for all for the late reply! im going to message you all individually as i cant remember everything i want to ask in a single reply.
you are already part skibum snowHead

Good luck - just don't expect one season to be enough
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy